Growing out pixie- should I trim for shape?

saf28203saf28203 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hello Friends,
First post! I hope this doesn't sound silly but I'm having a little anxiety about an appointment with a Deva stylist I have coming up in a month. 

I have been wearing a very short 1" pixie for several years but have been growing it out for 4- 5 months. I've never had a Deva cut. It is still pretty short, and it is deep in the awkward stage with the crown being longest (has not been trimmed in a few months), wings sticking out behind my ears, around my ears still very short, and the neck somewhat recently trimmed to avoid a mullet. It looks so shapeless and bad. Really, I know my hair just needs to grow, but I wanted to know if it would be silly to go see a stylist to have her trim some little pieces here and there or help with the shape as I grow it out.  I'm a little anxious because once before I asked a stylist just to 'tidy up' a short hairstyle that was getting shapeless and she scolded me for wasting her time and told me there was nothing she could do. 

I just would like to know if I would be wasting my stylist's time asking for this service and if I should let it continue growing longer before making an appointment? Thank you so much for your wisdom and help.

Comments

• Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    For me, I would not go and get a Deva cut with what you described. I think you would not really receive the benefit of what Deva cuts can provide. Unfortunately, growing out hair is the worst and you will have these excuse the pun, growing pains. 

Having said that you may wait until your hair is longer before your get it shaped. I think shape is important, however, again like I stated I wouldn't cut my hair now in that stage.

BTW, I have grown out my hair 2-3 times from very short hair so I do feel your pain.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I cannot believe a stylist would tell you that you were wasting her time by asking for a bit more shape while you grow out your hair! I do agree with @Marci Pie about waiting on the Deva Cut. It would probably not benefit you much at the moment, but a stylist should be able to give suggestions and help with a shape while you grow it out. For inspiration, I know Jennifer Lawrence had a well documented growing out a pixie cut. It is just some thoughts for what to do while you are in the awkward stage. Best of luck!
  • saf28203saf28203 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much, friends, for your advice! I emailed my stylist and we agreed that I should wait as long as I can to come in. So I'll just bear with the weird hair for the summer. I did trim the weird, extra long  crazy wings behind my ears myself... hopefully soon I will have long beautiful hair like y'all. :)

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think your hair looks as "weird" as you think it does! I think it looks cute!  If you really wanted to, you could use a hard-hold gel to "shape" it into a form you like better. And I agree about the cut. Wait til it's a bit longer and enjoy the different looks you'll have til then!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know much about Deva cuts but I know how hard it is to grow out a pixie cut, having done it a few times.  Usually I try to aim for a few different hair styles along the way - it takes longer but looks better than just waiting for the whole thing to grow out, imo.  For my last grow-out I let the front/top get longer (and straightened any awkward parts) and kept the sides pretty short.  Now I'm letting the sides/back grown in.  For what it's worth, I think your hair looks really cute right now and the stylist who told you there was nothing she could do is wrong, and probably not a great stylist!  

2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with the others: wait on the Deva cut. As for your stylist saying you are wasting your time, I am really surprised. I do think that a stylist could help you. I have grown out my hair from a pixie, and I always went in for regular trims for the stylist to reshape it. As long as the stylist knows what you're aiming for as the end result, she should be able to create some appropriate styles along the way.

I remember watching a Youtube video by a curly--can't remember which one--and she said she had grown her hair out. She said she went in for regular cuts and shaping and highly recommended doing so. She said it might have extended the time needed to grow out her hair, but it was worth it because she had nice, workable hairstyles that made her feel good about her appearance while she was waiting for her hair to get longer. I personally know that I would feel awful about myself if my hair were all different lengths and I always had to wear it up or back or something to "hide" it while it grew out.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with everyone that you should wait and let it grow.  also, put down the scissors!!  LOL!
    the summer humidity should be helpful, you'll have more volume.  also, i don't think your hair looks bad at all.   play around with products and wait it out.  i've been there.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file