Help, I can't get the oil out of my hair!

WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
Hi! I'm new to CGM and decided it would be a good idea to do a coconut oil treatment on my scalp since it was sore and itchy after clarifying with baking soda (I had overconditioned my 2a/b hair a few days before and was trying to correct it by clarifying). Well I massaged 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil with a few drops of lavender oil into my scalp and onto my hair and left it all night. This morning getting it out has been a nightmare. I sulfate shampooed and it didn't come out. Then I read online that the protein in an egg would cut through the oil so I beat an egg and rubbed it into my hair and then washed it out. The results have been horrific- still greasy hair that smells like musty warm egg. Suggestions please? I don't want to strip my hair again and go back to where I started, but I don't want to be a greasy mess either!

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    It's strange that a sulfate shampoo wouldn't remove the oil. Did you massage/scrub your scalp with the sulfate shampoo?
  • WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    @BrittanyM I did scrub with the sulfate shampoo. About to go in for another round. I have low porosity hair and in the past have had a big problem with buildup. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    The low porosity may be a factor. I hope you get it out soon. I'm sorry this happened to you.
  • WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    @BrittanyM thanks for empathizing with me. The second wash did it, although now I'm back at limp, frizzy, overly soft hair. I think I'm going to stop conditioning for a week or so and see if things normalize.
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    I know the pain. I tried to use a mask with a little bit of olive oil in it, and that was NOT a success. Took me two rounds of sulfate shampoo and one round of gentle shampoo to get it out, and my hair was not thrilled about that treatment. Also, olive oil does not smell great in hair!

Btw, my hair got back on track in about...1.5-2 weeks (so 3-4 washes) with normal lo-poo and conditioning, but no styling products. I hope yours bounces back quickly too!
    It's so fascinating that people have such different experiences. I coated my hair in coconut oil last week and used sulfate free shampoo afterwards. It did leave a bit of residual, enough for me to live with, but later in the week, a cowash removed the rest. When I was first staring out, I could coat my hair in oil and a cowash would be enough to remove it. I have high porosity hair so maybe that makes a good bit of difference? Are you low porosity too, @wildberry?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not @wildberry, but I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, and I have low-po hair. I put maybe a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil in my hair, and it made my hair crispy and greasy, and I could not get it out. My hair looked disgusting for about a week, and then it was fine again. That is how I learned that I could handle coconut oil in a product with other stuff but not plain by itself.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I have low-porosity hair. I guess we're more likely to have issues with oil treatments?
    It looks so. I learned something new and will be careful recommending oil treatments if someone is suspected to have low porosity hair.
    Nothing like learning the hard way! Definitely won't be doing that again. Thanks @Wildberry And @Therese1 for sharing your experiences. At least I know there's light at the end of the 1 to 2 week long tunnel!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file