Day 1 of CG (plus diffuser)

beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Hi all!  I started CG today and am curious to see how it goes.  I've been home sick for the past few days and have done lots of reading and online shopping and though I was going to wait until I used up my silicone conditioner, I am too impatient and will instead use it to shave.

Here's what I did today:
Shampoo - Inecto Coconut (with sulfates to clarify - will not use again unless necessary)
Conditioner - Inecto Coconut (not very moisturizing I don't think, but I didn't have anything else)
Rinse in cold upside down, scrunching, left a bit of conditioner in
Plop in microfibre towel for 15 mins or so
Apply Lush R&B as leave in 
Style with AG Recoil

Mostly air dried but got impatient so diffused for a couple minutes.  Fluffed with hands and separated pieces that had become too clumpy.

I went out and bought some gel and richer conditioner from a local natural bulk store and will try them tomorrow.  

Any tips/suggestions are welcome!  I'd love to get rid of some of the flatness on top, so the curls start forming closer to my scalp (if that makes sense).  Sorry pics are so huge :\

2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
DT: SM JBCO masque
LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I saw your post from earlier and the pic you attached there. Wow! What a difference already! You can try clipping to get volume. Sometimes that helps the curls form closer to the scalp.
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, @brittanyM.  Yes there's already a difference!  I'm looking forward to experimenting :)
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Beautiful!  Double check the ingredients in your Lush product.  Most of them have silicones and waxes.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm, thanks @Guide 65.  I did check the ingredients and they seemed ok but maybe there are some sneaky ones that I don't know about yet.  Maybe the Candelilla Wax isn't great?  I can't seem to find anything definitive on it being CG or not.

Oat Milk (Avena Sativa) Glycerine, Organic Avocado Butter (Persea Gratissima), Fair Trade Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Glyceryl Stearate & Peg - 100 Stearate, Fragrance, Cetearyl Alcohol, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Cold Pressed Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Bay Oil (Pimenta Racemosa), Orange Flower Absolute (Citrus aurantium amara), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum Grandiflorum), Cupuaçu Butter (Theobroma Grandiflorum), Phenoxyethanol Benzyl Alcohol, Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia Cerifera), Benzyl Salicylate, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Farnesol, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional 

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    From what I can see, the candelilla wax may be a problem, at least if you are strict Curly Girl, meaning you co-wash only. I think that if you use a low poo (sulfate-free poo) every now and then, that would remove any build-up from the candelilla wax. Also, the wax is near the bottom of the ingredients list, so it might not cause much of a problem. If the product works for you, I would keep using it and just be aware that it may cause build-up. (Actually, pretty much all products will cause build-up over time, even Curly Girl-approved ones, so some curlies do a sulfate-free poo every now and then to get a clean slate. Deva also has their Build-Up Buster if you want to avoid shampoo.)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SpicyPapitasSpicyPapitas Posts: 18Registered Users Curl Novice
    Your curl pattern is so beautiful! Seconding the usage of clips for volume and root curl -- which may also just take time to develop as you continue with CGM. : )
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Yep, the wax is a problem, and also the benzyl alcohol (I think).  If you've ever done any hair removal with wax, you might have noticed how difficult it is to remove the stray bits of wax off your skin.  Soap won't take it off.  I doubt a gentle shampoo would remove it from hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Thanks for the feedback re: wax.  I have a small amount of Recoil left in my current bottle, and have mixed the rest of my Lush R&B with it, and am using it up.  I'll use a sulfate shampoo occasionally when necessary until the R&B/Recoil mixture is finished.

And, thank you @SpicyPapitas!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file