Best Drugstore sulfate-free shampoo?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What drugstore sulfate-free shampoo (cg approved) do you recommend?  I have been using Diva products and Curls products but my wallet is hurting.  Of the big name, readily available shampoos (under $10 if possible) which do you recommend? I will continue to use the wonderful Curl Junkie products and Diva products to condition but would like to save on the shampoo, if possible.  My hair is colored, porous and tends to be dry.  Thanks in advance!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure it's a drugstore brand, but Not Your Mother's Naturals is really popular.  I have the pink one, and it's really nice, but just too heavy for my hair.  I'm saving it for winter when I need lots more moisture.  I can't remember the price, but it seemed cheap to me...$7.99 maybe?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I use Andalou Naturals... about $10/bottle. Available at Whole Foods. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Guide 65 and Gretchen.  Great recommendations that fit my budget.  I've never seen Not Your Mother's Naturals but I'll keep an eye out and try it if I find it.  Fun name :)  Meanwhile, I'm going to get the Andalou today because I'm in walking distance of Whole Foods!    
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I like the Shea Moisture Manuka honey and Mature Oil shampoo and also the Raw Shea Butter one as well. Maui Moisture makes good shampoos so I've heard, but I heard the conditioners are not great, so skip those.
    BrittanyM, I found the Shea Moisture Smoothie much too heavy and rich for my 2C hair so I haven't tried the shampoos but I'm tempted.  I've also seen the MauiMoisture shampoos and I'm curious about those also.
    I was reading ingredients labels since I want to avoid sulfates and I saw a lot of "sulfate free" shampoos which had sodium whatever in them.  Isn't anything sodium a salt and therefore drying?  
    Anyone, please chime in on this question because the only sulfate free shampoo that I saw that didn't have sodium was Deva and that is expensive.
    Also, went to WF to get Andalou and they were out of it!
    The Shea Moisture shampoos do not act like their stylers, which some people find do weigh down their hair. They will gently clean, so feel free to pick one up and try it if you are in a pinch. I don't know about the sodium question, but it's an interesting point as I've recently heard of "sulfates" without the word sulfate.
    Thanks BrittanyM.  That's exactly what I needed to know. :)
    I did see a Youtube video which seemed very reliable about avoiding sulfates and the 2 youtubers who did it together said avoid sulfonate, sulfosuccinate, sarcosinate and sulfoacetate.  They made the point that these act the same as sulfates but the companies get around the issue by using these products with slightly different names.  If you google this 

How To Shop For Curly Hair Products! w/ CurlyPenny! | BiancaReneeToday

that video will come up.  Sorry - not sure how to post the video itself, but google that under youtube.   By the way they also said Shea Mosture products including shampoo are sulfate free. I'm trying to go completely cg this summer!  Thanks again. :)
    Sorry for enormous font above.  I didn't know how to make it smaller.
    I've seen that video! I love both Bianca and Penny. They are my top 2 curly hair gurus on Youtube! I am a fan of the two Shea Moisture shampoos I mentioned. The Raw Shea Butter one actually has a bit of a lather. The only one that Shea Moisture has that I have tried and do not like is the Jamaican Black Castor Oil one. Despite everyone saying it was gentle, it dried out my hair in a strange way so no repurchasing of that one.
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Posts: 103Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    There seems to be some conflicting information about the sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate ingredient in sulfate-free shampoos. I started noticing that many less expensive sulfate-free shampoos have that as their cleansing ingredient, so I started doing a little research. I found that some sites claim that it is just as harsh as SLES, and some say  combining it with another cleansing ingredient like Cocamidopropyl Betaine makes it milder. I've also read that some people found it to strip their hair like a regular sulfate shampoo, and others didn't have that problem.

I've tried 2 of the Maui Moisture shampoos and found them to be cleansing but not stripping. Their shampoos have a very thick consistency, thicker even than most conditioners. I like a good, thick shampoo. I would use Maui Moisture again.

Side note: Many people on this site tend to like the Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo for clarifying. It has sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate in it. So maybe that ingredient is best used sparingly for many people.

I hope this helps!
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
    Also, went to WF to get Andalou and they were out of it!
    Oh no!  I'm so sorry! What a bummer. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    BrittanyM said:
     as I've recently heard of "sulfates" without the word sulfate.
    Just to make things more complicated! :)

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil shampoo.  It doesn't dry out my hair and it smells amazing (like figs).  Not too long ago, CVS was offering bonus-sized bottles (50% more free!) of it, so I stocked up
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file