3a new to CG - product/simple routine recs?

beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
Hi all!  I am planning on going mostly CG once I use up my current silicone-y conditioner.  I have some new products lined up and would like any tips/feedback on my planned/current routine if you're so willing!  I wet and style my hair every day because I like to shower every day, and also my hair is too short to pineapple and looks like crap in the morning, and seems to get frizzy if I try to dampen without wetting fully.  

I have Inecto Coconut shampoo (with sulfates) to clarify when it's time to go CG.

Also I live in Canada and some products are hard to get/really expensive.  I only buy products that don't test on animals, and are preferably vegan.

Wash: Currently use AG Recoil, will switch to Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo but mostly plan on co-washing with Inecto Coconut conditioner.
Rinse out conditioner: Currently use Loma but it has dimethicone, so will switch to Shea Moisture JBCO rinse out once it arrives in the mail (2 weeks from now)
Get out of shower, plop in microfibre towel for 10-15mins, then:
Leave in conditioner: Currently use Lush R&B hair moisturizer, which is almost gone, and switching to Shea Moisture JBCO leave in conditioner.
Product: AG Recoil curl enhancer (love it, have used for years)

I scrunch product in, finger twist, leave to air dry as long as possible and diffuse rest of the way.  I also use a straightener to smooth the front piece a little bit.  My hair does not tangle, luckily, and combing product through with my fingers seems to loosen the curl pattern so I scrunch always.

Do you think that will be an ok start to a CG routine?  Any tips for easing into CG?  Thank you :)

2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
DT: SM JBCO masque
LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Your current routine will work. You can add a pre-poo if you so desire (I wouldn't bother unless your hair gets really dry and/or is really porous). I would recommend deep conditioning once a week. You can either buy a deep conditioner, DIY one, or use your rinse out (you can add honey and aloe vera to give it a boost). I like the SM JBCO leave in, but if your hair is weighed down easily, I would start with smaller amounts and work your way up. If you are looking for a youtuber, check out Curly Susie. She's in Canada too (I think); she's new in my feed but she specializes in simplifying the curly girl method.
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you @BrittanyM!  I watched several of Curly Susie's videos and found them very helpful.  I'll go easy with the SM JCBO leave in :) and will search for a deep conditioner.
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Looks like a good start, but keep in mind that Shea Moisture isn't the best for wavy hair.  Shea butter builds up and weighs down your hair.  You'll probably have to clarify quite often if you use it.  AG Re:Coil is good. 

For a deep conditioner, try Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Hair Masks.  They're easily found in Canada, CHEAP! and pretty good.  You can find them at Shoppers or Walmart, probably other places too.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, @Guide 65!  I didn't realize that shea butter builds up in the hair...haha I've bought several of their products that have yet to arrive so let's hope that they work well for me!  My hair has wavy pieces but is closer to curly, I think - the front piece in my pic has been straightened lightly - and quite thick and coarse so fingers crossed hoping the shea butter won't be too heavy.

Thanks for the Garnier Fructis rec.  A search tells me they do test on animals, unfortunately.  So many of the drugstore brands do, which is why I was excited (perhaps too excited) to discover SM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file