Finally got started!

MonipenMonipen Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Novice
So a couple of months ago, I started writing some posts in this forum. I introduced myself etc. I was doing all the research I needed to start going back to natural, I wanted to do it right this time. However I decided that I preferred getting started in the spring, better weather here in northern Europe, as I really wanted to stay off heating tools all together (at least in the beginning).

So I'm coming back to let you know that it's been a month since I got started! After 17 years of straightening my hair with the flat iron I'm finally going natural. I've got all my CG tools and products, I've been preparing for months.

I started by going to a hairdresser specialized in curly hair. I did my research and read reviews before going there, to be honest there are not many curly hair-dressers here in the Netherlands, so it's not like I had a lot to choose from. My hair was pretty long, and I was prepared to cut at least to my shoulders (scared of cutting shorter, since I've never had shorter than that ever and I have no idea if it would suit me), but the hairdresser talked me out of it. Are you sure? he kept saying, You might regret it. Anyway, so in the end... it got cut, it's shorter than it was but it's still somewhat longer than shoulder length.

What am I using: I've got my sulfate/silicone etc free shampoo/ conditioner and curling cream from Shea Moisture and I also use the Curl Keepers Ultimate Hold gel. I also have a deep conditioner from Shea Moisture (Jamaican Black Castor oil deep conditioner). I haven't used any specific protein treatment yet, I'm still looking into this. I've got my silk pillow case and my microfiber towels.

How I use it: I am really trying to not to wash my hair too often as this was the reason why I started straighening my hair in the first place (I used to wash my hair every other day because if I didn't it would get all entangled and just horrible, but then again back in those days I used a curling mousse that would leave the hair crunchy but also tacky when you touched it). So right now I'm really trying to stick to only wash once a week with the Shea Moisture shampoo and use the deep conditioner on this same day, which is Sundays. And then once a week, usually Wednesdays I co-wash. To be honest I really have to resist the temptation to wash more often, I REALLY REALLY want to... because day one: my hair looks the best, day 2 after spraying water and scruncing its OK, day 3 horrible and the 4th day (once a week) it's "I wanna hide under a rock!!!!"

So, so far: I get that I need to be patient before my hair is as it "should be", I think that I am a 3a/3b curl type (I'm guessing this from looking at some really old pictures, which are bad quality too) and at this point my hair is not curly but more wavy with some straight parts here and there. I understand that this is normal as I have read about this quite extensively, and watched more than enough youtube videos. I honestly don't mind the wavy/straight hair its not too bad I get lots of compliments. But the BIG issue I have here is frizzyness!!!! This is driving me nuts. I can't seem to get rid of this frizzy standing straight up individual hairs especially on top. Not even on day one after washing and deep conditioning... am I frizz free, although this day is the least frizz... and it gets worse day 2,3 and 4.... I feel like a bum who's been sleeping on the street and has messy hair.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Can someone tell me what to do about this frizz I really hate this so much.

Comments

• MonipenMonipen Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Novice

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Congratulations on taking this big step! I wash my hair every other day, or sometimes I'll skip two days. I can't lose the frizz over so many days, either, so I just don't got that long. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can try using a light oil such as almond oil as a serum of sorts. Start with one drop. I washed my hair more often in the beginning since it dried out or the curl pattern messed up. Another suggestion is if you want to extend your wash day (controversial advise ahead), you can gently detangle your hair and wear updos until your next wash day. I do this to extend my wash. You can also use flexirods or heatless curling  methods  to extend as well. Best of luck!
    Thank you for your suggestions, I may start washing my hair every other day too, I think I'll try that, my hair looks the nicest when it's newly washed. I will however stick to schampooing just the once a week.

But I also like the idea of trying a light oil.  :)

Today I washed my hair with Cantu's Co-wash (all these products are expensive and I'm afraid I can't do everything one brand then, this one was a reasonable price). I also have to admit that I put extra products in as well, more than usual. The funny thing is that now I've got this "wet look" (and my hair is really dry) going on... ha ha ha... But I'd rather take the "wet look" than the frizzy hair.  :D
    Oh I just thought I'd mention too that for me the challenge in this transition has been the amount of time that I spend on my hair. I never did that in the past. For 17 years I've been straightening my hair, I have never ever used chemicals but I did use the straightening iron or a rounded brush with hair-dryer (although the past years only the iron). For me this was super easy and simple, especially the straightening iron because I only washed my hair once a week, it would then take me 20 minutes to use the straightening iron (of course this took practice and experience, in the very beginnig with the rounded brush and hair-dryer I could spend 45-60  minutes) and then I was ready! The other days I just woke up brushed my hair and I was ready to be on my way.

By the way I never deep-conditioned... or did anything particular. Just schampoo and conditioner once a week and then use a silicon-oil heat protectant.

It's funny how I now start to realize how much time is going into this and how I'm nowadays always running late for everything ha ha ha ha :D

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Monipen said:
    It's funny how I now start to realize how much time is going into this and how I'm nowadays always running late for everything ha ha ha ha :D

This happened to me this morning!  I had to drive carpool and we had to leave extra early cuz they have an AP test this morning.  I was diffusing and not paying attention to the clock and lo! It was past time to go!  Still made it on time, but whew.... 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

I forgot to take a picture on day 1, so this is day 2. But I think I may have put too much product in. :D:smiley:  I must say I find it quite a challenge to know how much of what is the right amount. Also because if I don't put enough then it's frizzy.
    Gretchen said:
    Monipen said:

This happened to me this morning!  I had to drive carpool and we had to leave extra early cuz they have an AP test this morning.  I was diffusing and not paying attention to the clock and lo! It was past time to go!  Still made it on time, but whew.... 

Well, so far I haven't even been able to diffuse even once, I just don't have enough time for that. Good thing is that we have spring now and summer coming. I wonder how that's going to go in the winter since I live in the Netherlands and it can get pretty cold here.

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 658Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited May 21
    There is a lot of experimentation with curls.  

I cannot go for a week without a shampoo unless my hair is up, and I don't have to leave the house.

The trick is to come up with a routine of co-wash, low-poo and clarifying shampoo.  So you may be able to low-poo once a week, but co-wash once or twice in between.  Then clarify once every two weeks (instead of the low-poo) or once a month.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    I guess you'll just how to figure out how to build extra time into your sked to be able to diffuse. I know it's hard. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file