Finally got started!

MonipenMonipen Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So a couple of months ago, I started writing some posts in this forum. I introduced myself etc. I was doing all the research I needed to start going back to natural, I wanted to do it right this time. However I decided that I preferred getting started in the spring, better weather here in northern Europe, as I really wanted to stay off heating tools all together (at least in the beginning).

So I'm coming back to let you know that it's been a month since I got started! After 17 years of straightening my hair with the flat iron I'm finally going natural. I've got all my CG tools and products, I've been preparing for months.

I started by going to a hairdresser specialized in curly hair. I did my research and read reviews before going there, to be honest there are not many curly hair-dressers here in the Netherlands, so it's not like I had a lot to choose from. My hair was pretty long, and I was prepared to cut at least to my shoulders (scared of cutting shorter, since I've never had shorter than that ever and I have no idea if it would suit me), but the hairdresser talked me out of it. Are you sure? he kept saying, You might regret it. Anyway, so in the end... it got cut, it's shorter than it was but it's still somewhat longer than shoulder length.

What am I using: I've got my sulfate/silicone etc free shampoo/ conditioner and curling cream from Shea Moisture and I also use the Curl Keepers Ultimate Hold gel. I also have a deep conditioner from Shea Moisture (Jamaican Black Castor oil deep conditioner). I haven't used any specific protein treatment yet, I'm still looking into this. I've got my silk pillow case and my microfiber towels.

How I use it: I am really trying to not to wash my hair too often as this was the reason why I started straighening my hair in the first place (I used to wash my hair every other day because if I didn't it would get all entangled and just horrible, but then again back in those days I used a curling mousse that would leave the hair crunchy but also tacky when you touched it). So right now I'm really trying to stick to only wash once a week with the Shea Moisture shampoo and use the deep conditioner on this same day, which is Sundays. And then once a week, usually Wednesdays I co-wash. To be honest I really have to resist the temptation to wash more often, I REALLY REALLY want to... because day one: my hair looks the best, day 2 after spraying water and scruncing its OK, day 3 horrible and the 4th day (once a week) it's "I wanna hide under a rock!!!!"

So, so far: I get that I need to be patient before my hair is as it "should be", I think that I am a 3a/3b curl type (I'm guessing this from looking at some really old pictures, which are bad quality too) and at this point my hair is not curly but more wavy with some straight parts here and there. I understand that this is normal as I have read about this quite extensively, and watched more than enough youtube videos. I honestly don't mind the wavy/straight hair its not too bad I get lots of compliments. But the BIG issue I have here is frizzyness!!!! This is driving me nuts. I can't seem to get rid of this frizzy standing straight up individual hairs especially on top. Not even on day one after washing and deep conditioning... am I frizz free, although this day is the least frizz... and it gets worse day 2,3 and 4.... I feel like a bum who's been sleeping on the street and has messy hair.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Can someone tell me what to do about this frizz I really hate this so much.

Comments

• MonipenMonipen Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,657Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Congratulations on taking this big step! I wash my hair every other day, or sometimes I'll skip two days. I can't lose the frizz over so many days, either, so I just don't got that long. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 841Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You can try using a light oil such as almond oil as a serum of sorts. Start with one drop. I washed my hair more often in the beginning since it dried out or the curl pattern messed up. Another suggestion is if you want to extend your wash day (controversial advise ahead), you can gently detangle your hair and wear updos until your next wash day. I do this to extend my wash. You can also use flexirods or heatless curling  methods  to extend as well. Best of luck!
    Thank you for your suggestions, I may start washing my hair every other day too, I think I'll try that, my hair looks the nicest when it's newly washed. I will however stick to schampooing just the once a week.

But I also like the idea of trying a light oil.  :)

Today I washed my hair with Cantu's Co-wash (all these products are expensive and I'm afraid I can't do everything one brand then, this one was a reasonable price). I also have to admit that I put extra products in as well, more than usual. The funny thing is that now I've got this "wet look" (and my hair is really dry) going on... ha ha ha... But I'd rather take the "wet look" than the frizzy hair.  :D
    Oh I just thought I'd mention too that for me the challenge in this transition has been the amount of time that I spend on my hair. I never did that in the past. For 17 years I've been straightening my hair, I have never ever used chemicals but I did use the straightening iron or a rounded brush with hair-dryer (although the past years only the iron). For me this was super easy and simple, especially the straightening iron because I only washed my hair once a week, it would then take me 20 minutes to use the straightening iron (of course this took practice and experience, in the very beginnig with the rounded brush and hair-dryer I could spend 45-60  minutes) and then I was ready! The other days I just woke up brushed my hair and I was ready to be on my way.

By the way I never deep-conditioned... or did anything particular. Just schampoo and conditioner once a week and then use a silicon-oil heat protectant.

It's funny how I now start to realize how much time is going into this and how I'm nowadays always running late for everything ha ha ha ha :D

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,657Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Monipen said:
    It's funny how I now start to realize how much time is going into this and how I'm nowadays always running late for everything ha ha ha ha :D

This happened to me this morning!  I had to drive carpool and we had to leave extra early cuz they have an AP test this morning.  I was diffusing and not paying attention to the clock and lo! It was past time to go!  Still made it on time, but whew.... 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

I forgot to take a picture on day 1, so this is day 2. But I think I may have put too much product in. :D:smiley:  I must say I find it quite a challenge to know how much of what is the right amount. Also because if I don't put enough then it's frizzy.
    Gretchen said:
    Monipen said:

This happened to me this morning!  I had to drive carpool and we had to leave extra early cuz they have an AP test this morning.  I was diffusing and not paying attention to the clock and lo! It was past time to go!  Still made it on time, but whew.... 

Well, so far I haven't even been able to diffuse even once, I just don't have enough time for that. Good thing is that we have spring now and summer coming. I wonder how that's going to go in the winter since I live in the Netherlands and it can get pretty cold here.

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited May 21
    There is a lot of experimentation with curls.  

I cannot go for a week without a shampoo unless my hair is up, and I don't have to leave the house.

The trick is to come up with a routine of co-wash, low-poo and clarifying shampoo.  So you may be able to low-poo once a week, but co-wash once or twice in between.  Then clarify once every two weeks (instead of the low-poo) or once a month.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    I guess you'll just how to figure out how to build extra time into your sked to be able to diffuse. I know it's hard. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    I guess you'll just how to figure out how to build extra time into your sked to be able to diffuse. I know it's hard. 
    Well good thing is that it's summer/spring now... so I don't really need to diffuse right now. But it will get interesting when the weather starts getting cold again.

So this is my hair now after 7 weeks since I started. As you can see it's wavy and not curly at this point. But I guess that's the transitioning... and it's probably going to take a long long time...
    I think it's beautiful!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Looks great!
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 114Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Wow it's changed already!  Your curl/wave pattern seems more defined, and your hair looks shinier!  I'm only 1.5 weeks into CG and find stories like this so inspiring :)  Looks great @monipen!
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Thanks. I still see the hair ends being straight, but yeah I've been straightening my hair for many years.

I should have mentioned that I've started to deep condition, but also use a hot head (I finally bought one!) and I've been doing the deep conditioning once a week. I'm using the one from Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor oil deep conditioning mask.

The last three pictures that I posted were taken on the day that I deep conditioned. I've noticed that the days that I do this I can see a huge difference. My hair is definitely more shiny, less frizzy and it just feels so much better.  :) So I am defenitely going to keep up doing this.

I also took up the advice of someone who also commented, I wash my hair a bit more often (of course co-wash) and a sulfate free shampoo once a week. It's just that I've defenitely noticed that my hair can't go to for too many days in between washes. It just doesn't work, unless I indeed put up my hair. It's just how it is, at least for now. Day 1 still looks the best, day 2 ok... but then after that no..... I'm not happy with that.
  • curlywawycurlywawy Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Nice change ! 
    So it's been 4 months since I started this transitioning journey. My hair is pretty long and the ends are still straight. I feel like I still need advice though, I feel like I still haven't found the right prodocts and routine for me.

The only really good one, my one and only holy-grail at the moment ;-) is the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor deep conditioning. This mask is the best! I do it once a week on Sundays and I use the hot head to do it. Love it! Best hair day of the week!

But then I find that my curls don't survive a 2nd and certainly not a 3rd day. My ends are still straight and frankly when I wash my hair during the week... it seems like maybe the products I use are too heavy for my hair and my hair ends up looking greasy.

This is on a Sunday after deep conditioning. As you can see my ends are still straight.

These two pictures (above) are on a wash-day, and yes for some reason my fron hair seems to curl more than the back. But you'd think my hair is wet in these pictures, it's not. It's dry. 

And the last one:

This is a day 2, after washing. As you can see. Even after sleeping with my hair up in a pineapple. The curls are gone. It's straight. This is also the reason why I put up my hair.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, nice to see your progress.

Can you update us on your new routine? It would help us come up with suggestions.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • OrathaiOrathai Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Very cool to see your progress ! Maybe for the night you should use a satin-lined cap to cover your hair ? (I'm a newbie but I heard it was useful to keep your curls tight overnight)
    Wow, nice to see your progress.

Can you update us on your new routine? It would help us come up with suggestions.
    Good idea. Here are the products that I have right now.

Though I have to point out that the Jamaican Black Castor oil leave-in conditioner and the Cantu regular conditioner + co-wash, and also the Jamaican Styling cream are almost finished. There's just a little bit left in them, so this is good.

I have decided that from now on I'm going to use Cantu regular conditioner just as a co-wash, when the other co-wash is finished, simply because I don't like this conditioner it's too thick and doesn't have enough slip, I think so anyway.

Maybe I should mention my type of hair too, if it helps:
    Type: I think I'm a 3a? At least before my hair got heat damaged. Here's a really old picture from before I started straightening. (I'm sorry for the bad quality but it was taken with an old-fashioned camera, and I had to scan the picture.)

Density: It is for sure absolutely not thin... I have really thick hair. So maybe medium or thick, but for sure not thin. I've got friends with thin hair so I know what that looks like, and I always have to buy the bigger hairbands because the smaller ones won't go around my hair.
    Thickness: I'm not sure, I do know that I have a mixture of two: one thinner hair-strand (the majority) and one thicker hair-strand. Sometimes some thicker ones fall of and I can clearly see the difference. But for the most part I'm not sure if it's thin or medium, I only got two to compare it with. :D
    Porosity: This is though! To be honest I really don't know. What I do know is that my hair gets wet pretty much straight away when I'm showering, but on the other hand it takes forever to dry, but I don't know if that is bacause the products that I use affect the drying time. I've done the hairstrand in the glass test, like twice I think, and it was the same: my hair floated on the surface even hours later. So the truth is I have no idea.

So any thoughts or sugesstions could really help. ;)

Orathai said:
    Very cool to see your progress ! Maybe for the night you should use a satin-lined cap to cover your hair ? (I'm a newbie but I heard it was useful to keep your curls tight overnight)
    I do have a satin-lined cap, it's just that my hair is pretty long at the moment so it doesn't really fit in there. But I always put my hair up in a pinapple when going to sleep and I have a satin pillow case.

Here's another question though, to anyone who'd like to answer that:

How often would you suggest getting a hair-cut? It's been 4 months. Should I get my hair trimmed again?
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,504Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    From looking at your products, every one is heavy with shea butter and probably coconut oil.  Shea can really build up on your hair, and it can be difficult to remove.  I'd suggest moving away from the SM and Cantu lines.  You might want to start with just the gel - use all your regular stuff, and just get a good hard hold gel, and see how you do with that.

Also, are you clarifying?  You'll need to clarify once in a while, possibly more often since you use so much shea butter.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    I only get a hair cut when I notice my ends are beyond saving or if I notice a lot of unhealthy ends. For me that means split ends or white dots that means it's about to break. It's time for a trim for me, but I really hate going to the hair dresser.
    I really understand now when I read that you need a lot of patience when you are transitioning.  :D 
    It's hard...

One of my biggest issues is detangling! I get so many knots in my hair. It's the ones in the back, in my neck that are really horrible. I really only detangle in the shower after I've put conditioner to my hair, I also sometimes (depending on if I have time) pre-detangle with coconut oil. But I've got to be honest some of those knots are impossible! There's only one thing to do: grab the scissors and cut. I never had such a big issue with knots when I used to straighten my hair and use silicones. :D 

So I was wondering if maybe the knots get so much worse because I am trying to wash my hair not too often? I wash every Wednesday and Sunday (so every 3 - 4 days) The Wendnesdays I will only co-wash and the Sundays I use a sulfate-free shampoo and I also deep condition. So I was thinking maybe less knots if I was every other day (don't want to do it every day), so (after washing day Sunday) I thought let me try again Tuesday. This is what I did: I did not actually wash my hair Tuesday, all I did was just re-wet and add conditioner to the hair, detangle using fingers and a wide-toothed comb, then rinse and finally just put gel in the hair. Nothing else, I did not touch the scalp at all, not even co-wash. I thought let me just try this out.

Here's the result:

OK, so something went wrong! Talk about bad hair-day. :D (LOL)
    I hate this... ha ha ha... maybe I didn't use enough gel.

Bad hair day.... ha ha ha ha.... it looks awful!!! :D
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,504Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Ooh, you have such big thick hair!  Maybe not quite what you wanted, but I like it!  Maybe try getting some Kinky Curly Knot Today to help with the tangles.  You can use it as a leave in too.  It's nice and slippery to help detangle.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    I like the bad hair day too! Honestly, tangles are the bane of my existence. I will detangle dry. I put on netflix and detangle with my fingers then a tangle teezer. When I shower, I detangle again with conditioner, then I smooth my products in and use the tangle teezer to distribute the products. I don't have much luck flipping my head upside down but for me this induces tangles too. KCKT is a lifesaver though. If tangles are particularly bad, this is a sign I need to clarify. Just a few tips, but I completely understand about the tangles.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I also found some articles here on this website about detangling. I realized that not only do I usually go some days without washing my hair (3-4 days), but I also don't refresh every day. I did it in the beginning and then I stopped, simply because I didn't see any difference. My hair is soooo heat damaged that it just simply won't curl or look good on days in between wash-days. So I got lazy and thought, what's the point. I'm just putting up my hair all other days. But other than putting up my hair those days I do nothing, I don't touch the hair because I strictly don't brush, and I only comb when I'm washing my hair and there's conditioner in it.

So my conclusion: I either wash my hair every day or every other day.... or I start refreshing again. What I've been doing these last couple of days is that I detangle my hairs in my neck (only those because they're the only ones troubling me) with my fingers, dry (I do this every day now) and then I start spraying it I really drench it make sure it's completely wet with just water, and there's a little bit of leave-in conditioner in it. So what I mean to say is the hairs in my neck in particular are the ones I wet this much.

So I'm back to refreshing, just for the sake of the tangles, not because it will make any difference in curls, because it doesn't. I still end up putting up my hair after that.

But the good thing is that I noticed the difference: by detangling the hairs in my neck every day avoided the big and difficult tangles, that are almost impossible to detangle on wash day. Yeah! One small step progress.

Regarding my hair in general: I've decided that I'm going back to the hairdresser... and I'm going to cut off a big chunk of it... almost a big chop (to my shoulders I'd like it to be) because my hair is just really long right now, and it doesn't curl.... it just looks frizzy and I'm not happy. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file