SheaMoisture Products Make My Hands Itch. Anyone know why?

christchick21christchick21 Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
i originally thought it was the specific conditioner I tried, but have since used five different products (an oil, a deep conditioner, a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in) in different recipes (Jamaican black, super fruit, coconut&hibiscus, peppermint&tea tree, manuka honey&mafura oil) over the span of four years and they ALL make my hands itch. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any clue why it happens!? I wanna keep a look out in case the same ingredient is in another brand. 

**it itches my hands but NOT my scalp. And it sorta works, but I’ve had better results with higher costing products. I’m open for other brand suggestions

Best Answers

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 191 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    If it was me, I’d put all the different recipes ingredients lists into their own columns in an Excel file. Then I’d run a “Highlight duplicate values” on them and start searching through all the highlighted ones. That will only work if they are all in there exactly the same (a random extra space at the end of a word will mess it up).

I may may consider adding columns for products I know don’t make your hands itch to help eliminate ingredients that shouldn’t be the culprit. But that’s me, lol. I’m a geek and nerd like that. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I am guessing allergy.  I second the idea of a spreadsheet to try to narrow down the possible culprit.  Once you have it narrowed down it will be easier to suggest products, since it possible you will get a bunch of suggestions that all have the same problem ingredient(s).
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 846 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Is it possibly Shea butter or coconut oil doing it? Those are the two main ingredients in most Shea Moisture products unless it's a preservative the company typically uses.

Answers

• christchick21christchick21 Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited May 15
    Just to give some extra info: I’m low porosity 4a high volume 
    Keeyamah said:
    If it was me, I’d put all the different recipes ingredients lists into their own columns in an Excel file. Then I’d run a “Highlight duplicate values” on them and start searching through all the highlighted ones. That will only work if they are all in there exactly the same (a random extra space at the end of a word will mess it up).

I may may consider adding columns for products I know don’t make your hands itch to help eliminate ingredients that shouldn’t be the culprit. But that’s me, lol. I’m a geek and nerd like that. 
    I like that idea! 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,662Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Brilliant idea @keeyamah!  I wish I had your Excel skills! 

@christchick21 I'm so sorry.... how frustrating. And odd that the products bother your hands but not your scalp. I suppose, until you figure it out, you could wear gloves to do your hair. 
    Love the way you wear your hair in that gorgeous vertical tower, btw. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 191Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @Gretchen I wouldn’t have the Excel skills I do have if it wasn’t for an even geekier and nerdier former coworker (he knew it too, and has no problem with it 😁). He taught me how to use that, and make pivot tables and I’m sure a few other things. I still don’t know how to write macros.... that’s well beyond my skill set
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Gretchen said:
    Brilliant idea @keeyamah!  I wish I had your Excel skills! 

@christchick21 I'm so sorry.... how frustrating. And odd that the products bother your hands but not your scalp. I suppose, until you figure it out, you could wear gloves to do your hair. 
    Love the way you wear your hair in that gorgeous vertical tower, btw. 
    Thank you! I hadn’t even done it that day (mom life)
    BrittanyM said:
    Is it possibly Shea butter or coconut oil doing it? Those are the two main ingredients in most Shea Moisture products unless it's a preservative the company typically uses.
    You know, it could be the coconut. I just got a new body wash, and had noticed it also makes my skin itchy. Not surprisingly, it also happens to have coconut extract in it! Uh I didn’t used to have all of these problems. Something about aging lbs 😒

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file