Having problems with my hair type

MathmaticalPiMathmaticalPi Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi! Ok so for 7 years I've been trying to tame my hair. My hair is super fine it lays flat, no volume at all, but it's also thicker than most AND it's wavy/curly. I have tried everything! For fine hair it says NOT to condition it but if I don't my hair dries out. I don't know what do to with it or how to take care of it anymore, it gets frizzy and poofy and has NO VOLUME whatsoever. Please help!

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi and welcome to CurlTalk! 
    It's ok to condition your hair! Just don't use a super heavy one. We might be able to help better if you were to post a pic. :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 143Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have fine hair as well, and I only shampoo once or twice a week, and even use leave in conditioners. 

I use Tresemme Botanique Essentials Coconut and Aloe (it’s in a green bottle now) in the shower. And I use Kinky Curly Knot Today or Cantu Shea Butter Natural Curl Activator leave in’s (depending on the weather).

I only put the leave ins on my hair at night, and then put my hair into a wet pineapple to go to sleep. In the morning I take it down, let it air dry, and my hair looks pretty darn good. Not greasy at all. 

It took a while for my hair to get used to not being shampooed as often and having the extra moisture from the leave ins, so when I first started, I had to be careful how much I used so my hair wouldn’t look greasy. 
    Fine, low porosity, medium to med-high density 2b/c

Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative with Colorful Neutral Protein filler as a deep conditioner

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 822Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I also have fine hair.  What products do you currently use?

You need to have a clarifying shampoo in your rotation.  Something like Kinky Curly Come Clean or Elucense Volume Clarifying Shampoo.  There are many, you are not limited to those 2.  Even if you use all CG products, you can still get build up.  Build up can make your hair be both flat & frizzy (I know - the joys of a wavy curly).

After you clarify you will need a deep conditioner.  I have recently become a fan of the new Garnier 1 minute mask.  You can use it as a rinse out, leave in or deep conditioner.

After you clarify and deep condition, it is time to re-evaluate your hair.  You may find it still needs more moisture or protein or both.  Here is a good post to help you figure it out:  http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

If you think you need protein, I am a big fan of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF) you can get a small bottle at Sally beauty for about $2.00.  You can mix it with water in a spray bottle or add a few drops to your conditioner right before you use it.

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file