2b or not 2b? that is the question.

Groovy GrandmamaGroovy Grandmama Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
im new, so that’s probably an old joke, but it made me laugh!  Anyway, I need help deciding my hair type.  I think maybe 2b but just not sure.  Also, my hair is getting thinner on top of already being fine.  Can some one recommend products that provide a ton of volume, defines your curls, and eliminates frizz?  Don’t ask for much, do I?   ;). Thanks!

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Looks like 2B to me, maybe even close to 2C!  And I thought the joke was funny :D
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Answers

• Groovy GrandmamaGroovy Grandmama Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Just wanted to add that I had root lift and curl mousse in my hair in that picture.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks very similar to mine, 2b to 2c.

For volume, I used to use Aveda Volumizing Tonic back when my hair liked protein. My hair stylist told me that you have to use heat with it (diffuse), even though it doesn't say so on the bottle. I now use Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Spray or Living Proof Root Lift, both of which are protein free.

I would try a hard-hold gel, and make sure you get it all the way to your roots. I'm currently using Kenra's Firm Hold Gel (the regular one, not the one for curls). I also occasionally use Bumble and Bumble Gel (though it leaves the hair a little soft for my liking...I might consider demoting it to winter-only use) and the Intelligent Nutrients Gel (has a lot of herbal extracts that seem to act like proteins, so if you're protein sensitive, I'd use it only every now and then). If you can handle protein, I'd recommend Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel.

Another great product IMO for hair that can handle protein is the Innersense Whipped Creme Texturizer. It's best when put on wet or damp hair after washing. It can be a little greasy when applied to dry hair.

You may find as time goes on that frizz can become your friend--it provides volume for fine hair. If my hair is totally frizz free, there's hardly any volume. The key is to find a balance, where you have just enough definition with just enough frizz.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file