How should I start? What hair type am I?

CurlyMess8703CurlyMess8703 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited May 11 in Transitioning
So...here is my hair...fresh out of a big bun! With no products what so ever, I haven’t used a single product in my hair in over 10 years, it’s been in a bun everyday all day 24/7! I’ve never known what to do with my hair it’s always been pulled back in a ponytail or a bun! Or I use to straighten it when I was 17-18. I’m now 30 no products, I recently cut and donated 13 1/2 inches of hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, and my hair hasn’t been the same since...it’s so much thicker, it’s not very wavy like it use to be. I’m at a lost and need help, please! I’ve watched rockyncurls YouTube channel and her blogs, she has High porosity, I have low...and thick course hair. I have traction alopecia right in the front of my hair line from always wearing my hair up...so I really want to start embracing my natural hair if I can get it under control! I THINK my hair is a 2c? What do you think? I’ll take any and all suggestions!

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It's so thick and full, it's lovely!  I don't know the hair type - right now it looks like a 2A/2B, but it's going to get so much curlier as you get it into better condition.

It does look dry.  I'd start with some good conditioning.  Do a deep condition when you can.  Add some heat for extra goodness.  I've heard Deva Curl Melt into Moisture is a really good one.  And then use a really good rinse out conditioner whenever you wash your hair.  Maybe the GVP conditioning balm from Sallys would be good for you.  Or one of the Not Your Mothers Naturals from Ulta.  (Make sure you get the Naturals line, not the regular NYM.)
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Oh gosh! That hair is so lovely. You have to get it out of the bun and show it off!  You might enjoy this article about how one wavy got beautiful waves in a week. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • CurlyMess8703CurlyMess8703 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you @Gretchen and @Guide 65!  I have always heard that my whole life and always thought WHY! Are you crazy my hairs a hot frizzy mess!  I just bought some Shea moisture items the other day...we will see how it goes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file