Henna vs Henna Gloss: Effect on Curls/Waves?

xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I'm interested in using henna to dye my hair red (it's currently a medium brown, so I'm aiming for it to be a nice auburn color). However, I'm afraid of losing my wavy curls (when they behave they're 2c). I was considering doing a gloss instead of a full treatment, thinking the curl loosening effect would be lessened. Am I correct in thinking that, or is the effect about the same either way?

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)
    A henna gloss is using pure henna, and mixing it with a conditioner before applying. I've read that people use it 1) to get a more subtle color and 2) to help combat dryness and help the henna rinse out more easily. Since the henna is diluted, I was thinking it would lessen the curl loosening effect as well, but I'm not sure.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 
    I'm thinking I might experiment that way, or who knows maybe I'll like the color from just doing the gloss and will be happy with that :smile: I'm also looking into amla, which is supposed to help bring back/maintain curl pattern if henna loosens it
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I thought henna gloss was a glossy oil or something lol! We learn sometime new everyday 😄
  • lynn3lynn3 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

lynn3 said:
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

We have such smart curlies here!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file