Henna vs Henna Gloss: Effect on Curls/Waves?

xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I'm interested in using henna to dye my hair red (it's currently a medium brown, so I'm aiming for it to be a nice auburn color). However, I'm afraid of losing my wavy curls (when they behave they're 2c). I was considering doing a gloss instead of a full treatment, thinking the curl loosening effect would be lessened. Am I correct in thinking that, or is the effect about the same either way?

Answers

  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)

    Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

    You are beautiful!
  • xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    I'm not sure what a henna gloss is... but I'm guessing maybe it's henna with a bunch of other stuff in it? In which case I would not use it. I could be totally wrong. :)
    A henna gloss is using pure henna, and mixing it with a conditioner before applying. I've read that people use it 1) to get a more subtle color and 2) to help combat dryness and help the henna rinse out more easily. Since the henna is diluted, I was thinking it would lessen the curl loosening effect as well, but I'm not sure.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 

    Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

    You are beautiful!
  • xylia1225xylia1225 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    OH!  Ok! Could you try the gloss first and see what impact it has and then if you're good with it, try the pure henna? 
    I'm thinking I might experiment that way, or who knows maybe I'll like the color from just doing the gloss and will be happy with that :smile: I'm also looking into amla, which is supposed to help bring back/maintain curl pattern if henna loosens it
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I thought henna gloss was a glossy oil or something lol! We learn sometime new everyday 😄
  • lynn3lynn3 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,173Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    lynn3 said:
    henna gloss (assuming dye released) is lighter and usually temporary as far as color change. A full blown henna (I've done 2-4 hr hendigo) will leave your hair feeling thicker and will relax the curl a bit. Supposedly adding amla to the mix helps retain more curl, but I'm not totally convinced.

    We have such smart curlies here!

    Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

    You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file