I'm going to rip my hair out my scalp, please help

curlyleocurlyleo Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Novice
I have fine 3b hair that's pin straight at my roots and then curls at my ends. It's so annoying my hair is literally half straight and half curly. I've gotten a deva cut before and I personally wasn't a big fan of how it looked. My hair is currently a little bit below my shoulder and I'm planning to cut it this weekend. I'm thinking above my shoulder with high layers.Do you think that's a good idea, if not what do you recommend? I'm in the market for a hair detangle. (I heard shampoo is bad for 3b hair) I need a detangler that will clean my hair because I get build up and dandruff. Also any recommendations on styling creams or mousse? I would like something light and not crunchy that adds A LOT of volume. My roots are literally flat. PLEASE HELP ME!

Answers

• RimonsileyRimonsiley Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    Cutting your hair in layers might really help with your issue (well, it helped me at least :smile: ). I wouldn't cut the bottom layer though; that way your hair stay nice and long and it gives you bigger range in the layer's length.
    For the products, I use sulfate-free shampoo and detangle with deep conditioner in my hair (I can write you my favorite brands if you want, but I am from central Europe and you might not find them in your area). And for the styling cream, in my opinion if you really want volume, you should skip it :)
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur

I am a fan of Devacurl products. Depending on the technique my hair reacts differently. For more volume I do not put products in soaking wet hair. Try keeping your products away from the roots. If you diffuse, diffuse with your head upside down.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Some curls need some length to get curling.  That may be what you have.  If that is the case cutting your hair may not help.  If your roots are straight because of the weight of your hair, it may help.

If you have fine hair, you may have build up and need to clarify.  Look for something like Kinky Curly Come Clean or Elucense  Volume clarifying shampoo.  Some fine hair also likes protein.  That gives my hair the muscle to hold the curl.

I would start with a clarifying shampoo, then a deep conditioner, then take another close look at your hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • curlyleocurlyleo Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Novice
    Cutting your hair in layers might really help with your issue (well, it helped me at least :smile: ). I wouldn't cut the bottom layer though; that way your hair stay nice and long and it gives you bigger range in the layer's length.
    For the products, I use sulfate-free shampoo and detangle with deep conditioner in my hair (I can write you my favorite brands if you want, but I am from central Europe and you might not find them in your area). And for the styling cream, in my opinion if you really want volume, you should skip it :)

Thank you so much for your response, your picture is gorgeous btw! I'm going to see if I find a good sulfate-detangler. What would you recommend I style my hair then if cream is not a good idea?
    Marci Pie said:

I am a fan of Devacurl products. Depending on the technique my hair reacts differently. For more volume I do not put products in soaking wet hair. Try keeping your products away from the roots. If you diffuse, diffuse with your head upside down.

Hey thanks for the response! I've tried like a small travel kit by deva cut once and it made my hair really dry and knotted. I hated it. I do diffuse and it does give me great volume but then my hair eventually falls flat again. :( 

Some curls need some length to get curling.  That may be what you have.  If that is the case cutting your hair may not help.  If your roots are straight because of the weight of your hair, it may help.

If you have fine hair, you may have build up and need to clarify.  Look for something like Kinky Curly Come Clean or Elucense  Volume clarifying shampoo.  Some fine hair also likes protein.  That gives my hair the muscle to hold the curl.

I would start with a clarifying shampoo, then a deep conditioner, then take another close look at your hair.
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to look into those detanglers!
  • RimonsileyRimonsiley Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    curlyleo said:
    Thank you so much for your response, your picture is gorgeous btw! I'm going to see if I find a good sulfate-detangler. What would you recommend I style my hair then if cream is not a good idea?
    Thank you :smile: I personally don't use any styling products – they never seem to work for me anyway. I just put some conditioner (regular one, but natural and curly friendly) after I wash my hair, then do plopping with t-shirt for a while and then a bit of leave-in cream. And I just let it air dry. What helps me with volume is either afro pick or "separating" the curls gently with my fingers once they are completely dry :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file