Daughter's 2A hair

curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
Hi guys, 

Any chance of some help with my daughter's hair?

Do 2A wavies brush their hair? I always assumed my daughter's hair would be similar to mine (2C/3A), so have always done co-washing and avoided brushing her hair. But her hair got matted from not brushing it, and only getting out the knots at bath time doesn't work well - she only has a bath once every few days because she hates them and too many knots form inbetween times. So should I be brushing her hair once a day? Twice a day in the morning and evening to keep knots at bay? Her hair often ends up looking fluffy after brushing which isn't a great look, but first thing in the morning she generally looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards, so I'm not sure what to do to change that. It doesn't matter too much at the moment at home or at preschool, but I feel like when she starts school in September I should send her there looking respectable! Also do detangling sprays really work? Any CG suggestions?

As you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing with this type of hair, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

UK curly, 2C/3A
CG, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I think a 2A can easily get away with brushing.  Especially at this age.  As she gets a little older and starts taking care of her own hair, you can revisit the brush question.  But it's probably best to keep her hair looking groomed and untangled.  And yes with the detangling sprays!  I don't have any suggestions for you, but I used some to brush my granddaughter's hair, and it made it so easy!  It'll probably also help with the fluffy look from brushing.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    What about just diluting some of hers or your rinse out as a detangling spray?
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• KristyLKristyL Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    My daughter has fine 3A but I brush it twice a day. If I don't the knots are too hard to take out. I spray from ears down with a 50/50 mix of Kinky Curly Knot Today and water. On top of her head I just use water. Then I brush with a Denman brush. She flips her head and squishes her curls and we are done.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Love "dragged backwards through a hedge" !  Hilarious!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a 2a, and before I realized I had waves and not just straight hair, I carefully combed through it when wet, then brushed it once it was dry. I also brushed every morning and every night until next wash day. Sure, it got a bit lumpy and poofy and weird in places, but the thing that sent me looking for answers was the dryness and resulting frizz.

If you manage to moisturize your daughter's hair well and brush it with a tangle teezer or another gentle brush, it might be the best thing for her at this age. If that works, the curls can still come out to play for special occasions.

Also, normal braids, pigtails or ponytails are great for wavy hair if her hair looks a bit messy before school after brushing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file