Need help with 2b/c very low porosity hair

placidcalamityplacidcalamity Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
I've been following the CG method for about 2 years now, and I've never gotten it to work really well for my hair. I have 2b/c, dense, medium thickness (not sure about that one), and very low porosity hair. I have a really hard time getting my hair to absorb any moisture, and it gets weighed down really easily. I tried using the hot head cap, and it gave me good results about 50% of the time, but it also gave me headaches. I've tried leaving deep conditioner on for hours with a shower cap wrapped in a towel- no results. I sleep on a silk pillowcase and use a microfiber towel to plop. I've tried protein treatments and clarifying- both seem to either have no effect or make my hair worse. My hair seems to be both frizzy and greasy at the same time. My hair looks okay on the first day, but horrible every day after. Also, it takes my collar bone length hair 6 hours (!) to air dry.

Here are the products I'm using right now:
As I Am Coconut Cowash- this is the best cleanser I've come across so far
Clarify with KC Come Clean- not thrilled with this
DevaCurl One Condition- not sure how well this works for me
Camille Rose Coconut Water leave in or KCKT
Experimenting with the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie- seems to be too heavy for me
LALSG- gives me the hold I need but leaves my hair feeling dry. Maybe too much protein?
DC with CJ Curl Rehab

Here are products I've tried in the past that haven't worked:
Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner- not moisturizing enough
Devacurl Low Poo Delight and One Condition Delight- too drying
Camille Rose Naturals Moroccan Pear Conditioner- too heavy, allergic
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibuscus line
Devacurl wavemaker and volumizing foam
Raw curls shampoo and conditioner- not moisturizing enough
KCCC- not enough hold
And many, many more that I'm forgetting.

To sum it all up: does anyone have product suggestions for very low porosity hair, especially conditioners, leave ins, and gels? Anyone have any tricks for getting their hair to absorb moisture? I've looked into hooded dryers, but they seem pretty expensive.

Best Answers

• WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I'm fairly new, but I've already tested a few conditioners, and all of them were too heavy for me except one. Faith in Nature. I got it from iherb. I've tried 2 of them so far, and I love them both! I haven't found the right styling products for me, though, but the conditioner made my hair soft and light for  the first time in like...20 years! Even if I leave a tiny bit in after squish to condish, it doesn't weigh my hair down.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds to me like you have hair like mine: very protein-sensitive hair. The protein overload seals up your cuticle very tight, making it hard for the moisture to penetrate (that's why the hair is dry but greasy). And once the moisture gets in, it has a hard time leaving, which is why it takes ages for your hair to dry. I would recommend removing all protein from your regimen for at least two weeks and see what happens.

Here are my thoughts based on some of the products you are using:

. As I Am Coconut Cowash: Cowashing as a rule is not the best for low-porosity hair because the hair does not absorb the emollients from the cleanser. The cleanser tends to build up on the hair. Low-porosity hair generally does better with a gentle shampoo (sulfate free) with the occasional sulfate poo to clarify (low-porosity hair quickly develops build-up).

. Kinky-Curly Come Clean: As my hair has gotten lower porosity, it seems to dislike this poo more and more. I'm wondering if the sea kelp (or algae extract? can't remember) in it has some protein-like properties.

.DevaCurl One Condition: This has hops extract, which some people find acts like a protein on their hair.

. SM CES: This has silk amino acids, which is a protein. If you want to try working this product back into your regimen later, I would try only the tiniest bit, like half a pea size. It's a ridiculously small amount, but this is a finicky product in many people's experience.

. LA Looks: This gel has a lot of protein, so I would avoid it.

What I use:

. Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic poo and condish: Sulfate free and protein free.

. Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo: For a clarifying poo, every other week. This is a simple sulfate poo (not a lot of ingredients), which is why I like it.

. Curl Junkie Beauticurls leave-in: I use a pea-sized amount.

. Living Proof Root Lift: Just started using this product. It seems to be safe for my hair so far!

. Kenra Firm-Hold Gel (the regular one, not the curly one), Bumble and Bumble Gel (medium hold), Jessicurl Confident Coils (light hold), or Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel (hard hold): I don't use the same styler more than two wash days in a row, or I get build-up. The Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel has a lot of herbal extracts in it that seem to act like proteins in the long term. I don't use it if my hair feels like it has protein overload.

. Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray.

. Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment.

. Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil: When my hair is frizzy or brittle from too much protein, I put a few drops of this on my hair at night, and that helps my hair's texture. It and the Intelligent Nutrients Shine Spray (I spray one squirt into my hands and rub them together first) are the only oils I have found that don't make my hair greasy.

The Curl Rehab looks similar to the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment, so I'm not sure why that product is not helping your hair. I can only guess that maybe the formulation is such that the shea butter is not agreeing with your hair. I had that problem with the CJ Daily Smoothing Conditioner. The Jessicurl has shea butter in it, but it seems to be OK for my hair. I wonder if you cut out protein entirely if you would have better luck with deep conditioning?

I would recommend doing a sulfate cleanse with a simple protein-free sulfate poo, followed by a protein-free deep conditioner. Then switch to the sulfate-free poo for wash days and follow with deep conditioning until you feel your hair is doing better. 

Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    edited May 2018 Accepted Answer
    Ugh, I wasn't aware that they had changed the formula! This is my holy grail. It was always safe. Wahh. (I use the old formula and have not tried the new one.)

I used to get mine from Deep Beauty on Amazon, but it looks like they're carrying the new formulation.

They have the old-formula shampoo at mossenvy.com, but not the conditioner. (Moss Envy is a store in my local metro, so I can vouch that the product would be legit.) http://www.mossenvy.com/Intelligent_Nutrients_Harmonic_Shampoo_p/11558.htm

A place called Live Superfoods has the conditioner but not the shampoo: https://livesuperfoods.com/intelligent-nutrients-harmonic-conditioner.html. I've not heard of this store and don't know anything about them.

Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• placidcalamityplacidcalamity Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you both for the awesome suggestions. Therese, there seems to be two versions of the Harmonics line- the older Harmonics and the newer Harmonics invigorating (which is the one on the IN website). Do you know which version you use? And if you use the older version, is there a place online that still sells it? Again, thanks for all the help. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file