Help! Drying my curls

ElisabethleeElisabethlee Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
i am graduating this Saturday and I don't know how to dry my hair fast enough. I normally wash my hair in the morning and let it air dry, but that takes 4-5 hours and I need to be ready for the ceremony by 8am. When it air dries my curls are big bouncy ringlets. I bought a diffuser but every time I use it I end up looking like Robin Williams in Jumanji. Please help! I'm panicking! I use deva no poo, one condition, ultra defining gel, and super cream, and I've been diffusing with a curly co diffuser. I have type 3a curls

Answers

• Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    Diffusing has not been my friend and couldn't tell you how to get it right. I would do my hair Friday, and refresh on Saturday morning. Diffusing refreshed hair works better for me.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    diffusing never works for me.  since you have to be out so early for graduation (and probably wearing a "bad-hair" cap??), i would wash it day before and let it air dry, and NOT scrunch it out.  
    next morning i would scrunch it out a bit with some conditioner and water on my hands.  
    worse case -- plan to maybe clip your hair up on one side (i do this when i have a not good hair day and always get compliments).  
    enjoy your day and don't get so worried about your hair.  i am sure it will look good.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    What works for me is to wash the night before. Do NOT crunch out the crunch. Using small octopus clips when your hair is about 70% dry, clip your hair up loosely on the very top of your head, and wear a satin/silk sleep cap.

In the morning, gently take out the octopus clips. Stick your fingers into your scalp and lightly ruffle the roots. Scrunch lightly if needed. If there's any "wonky" spots, spray with a bit of water - with or w/out conditioner...whatever works best for you, and be sure to use a sprayer that has a fine mist. Keep in mind, you just want it slightly damp, not wet. "Pump" the spot from the bottom of the curls with the flat of your hand a couple times, and then Don't Touch until 100% dry.

Or...

When I diffuse, I either air dry for a bit, or use a folded paper towel to blot most of the water out - that cuts out a lot of the drying time. Then I'll diffuse, just enough to set the gel. If I'm in a hurry, after about 30 minutes after setting the gel, I'll diffuse again until my hair is about 90% dry. I then wait until the very last minute to shake it out or scrunch out the crunch.  
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Y'all are so smart!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Congratulations!  Have you tried diffusing but just holding the dryer away from your head, not touching your hair at all?  It's hard on the arms, and seems to takes forever.  But it should act more like air drying, but quicker. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file