Devacurl gel help?

coracat5coracat5 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
In an effort to start going natural I spent $$ and got the devacurl line. I used to love this line (the supercream) but supercream I would go through it so fast. I wanted to give light defining gel a try. IT FRIZZED UP SO BADLY. My curls looked like a halo-covered mess. Is it cause I don't have a devacut (I had a lob I am trying to grow out - which is not working with curly hair maybe?) or what... 

So far kevin murphy young again serum worked wonders but it is expensive. My other options is aveda line and devacurl line (I am vegan) but also I don't understand why the devacurl gel that seemed to have worked wonders did the opposite to me? I have to use it, it's not cheap either :( Should I use more or less? 

The conditioner seemed to have worked well. I am using a microfiber towel. 

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Are you applying it to really wet hair?  Try putting it on right in the shower before you even use a towel.  Or if you already are doing that, try using it on towel-dried hair. 

You don't need the haircut to use the products.  But sometimes you have to experiment with different techniques.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I agree about Kevin Murphy products. They work well but they're crazy pricey. 
    I'm Type 3a, and Deva never worked very well for me, either. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • coracat5coracat5 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I was applying to towel-dried hair (microfiber) - maybe I should switch to tshirt drying and putting the gel before drying. I am gonna put it on dripping wet today. I used to scrunch technique when i used it last so this time i'm gonna see if the rake and shake works better. 

So many things to try :D 

Thank you for the replies! What do you use Gretchen? 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited May 2018
    There is so much trial and error with curly hair.  Even if you have the right product you have to make sure you have the right amount and the right technique to apply it.

When I had my hair cut.  The stylist used the styling cream under the gel, so you may need to layer your products.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Piggy back on the comments above. Curls are finicky and I can get different results with towel-dried hair vs soaking wet hair.

Deva products require lots of water with application. If you look at every Deva curl stylist videos the hair is dripping wet. I would try that before I would give up on the gel.

Also, have you tried homemade flax seed gel? I have to tell you that it is my newest and cheapest gel that I have ever used. I get great results with out a leave-in which is unheard of for me. Bianca Renee on YouTube as a great video on it.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    So I tried it again with A LOT of water (Dripping wet) and rake and shake. 

What I did: Deva condition but didn't rinse it out. Then gelled my hair dripping wet with rake and shake method. 

This turned out much better in terms of frizz but was a bit stiff/hard to break that cast. So in about two hours of air drying I got my microfiber towel and scrunch it a bit to break the cast and voila! It turned out pretty good. I think I used too much of it, so i'll try a bit less next time with the same method. 

It worked pretty good, but I am in need of a haircut badly (and my hair is unhealthy from a lot of straightening recently) so since it was in a pretty bad shape, I was happy with the result. Not perfect but I think I'll keep on trying for the perfect amount. 

Thank you all! Second day hair was okay too today. 
    I'm glad it worked better for you!  Thanks for coming back and telling us the results.  It's always good to hear if it worked or not.
    Current products:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is definitely a sweet spot on the amount of product used. I use my palm as my measurement or I put the gel in a pump bottle so I can count out the pumps. So 5 pumps was the perfect amount. When my hair got longer I went to 8 pumps. 

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    Update: Devagel still not working very well for me. It is making it curly but without curl definition, if that makes sense? Super bumbed about it because I used to do the devacurl and curly girl method and it worked perfectly. Maybe my hair changed and now it is just not that curly or up to it. :/ 

Creams and waves seem to work better now as oppose to nice curls... 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    coracat5 said:
    I was applying to towel-dried hair (microfiber) - maybe I should switch to tshirt drying and putting the gel before drying. I am gonna put it on dripping wet today. I used to scrunch technique when i used it last so this time i'm gonna see if the rake and shake works better. 

So many things to try :D 

Thank you for the replies! What do you use Gretchen? 
    Don't know how I missed this! I use Curl Keeper. Love it.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I had my DevaCut at a local salon, she use the Styling Cream underneath the gel.  Maybe that will help.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Are you still using the light defining gel?  You might need to go with the ultra defining gel.  Despite it's name, I don't think it's a hard hold - it's about a medium hold for me.  It should give you better definition and hold though.
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file