Will cutting my hair make it less curly??? Devacut?

candeladevesacandeladevesa Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
edited April 2018 in Hair Type 3
Hello everyone!
I am considering getting a Deva Cut to shape my hair and bring it to a little longer than shoulder length. My hair is now medium-long, thin, 2c-3a and it was longer until I got a cut (wet cut which left me with weird layers). I am hoping that shorter layers might make the roots curlier but I have read that it could also do the opposite. My hair starts curling more towards the ends, and I am afraid that if i cut it it won't curl at all. I also read that fine hair needs weight to curl? I honestly don't know what is true, and wanted to know before i got one of those expensive cuts. Also, the curls never stay defined and after a day it tends to get flat pieces of hair. I appreciate any advice!

The first picture is my hair on wash day (that was a good hair day too!)
The second picture you can see how it gets flat pieces of hair but also curls.
The third picture is how I want to cut it, which I don't know if will work on my hair type but I love it! (credits to the girl w beautiful hair!)

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    As long as you don't cut your hair shorter than where you already curl it should not be a problem.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you cut your hair to around shoulder length, you should still have plenty of length to get it to curl. I have less pronounced curl than you do, and I am fine once I get to chin length.

Do you use a hard-hold gel? That is usually the remedy for curls that don't stay defined.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair is beautiful!  Do you have a Deva stylist in your town? Have you visited him/her before? If you need help finding one, you can check out our salon/stylist recommendations. 
    Let us know what you end up doing!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    a good deva stylist will cut your hair so it will curl even more.  3a hair usually starts to curl a couple of inches down.   with right products/cut, it will have volume, then curls.  
    my hair gets super curly the first month after a cut.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 92 Curl Connoisseur
    If you want you can try to see if it can curl more, why not clip the bottom half of a section to another section to relieve the stress of the weight of the hair in that section and to let it dry. I made this up myself, i dont know if it would work though XD

I have heard that even those with tighter curls have hair that loosened due to length, but went tighter after a curl cut. They curled more and regained lost volume. I havent heard of anyone who has had their hair loosen after a cut.

Grace from Naturally Curly seemed to get a more pronounced wave after her cut, which is a 2A. Now you can see it more.

I wouldnt worry too much, but your hair will go into shock after you cut it, keep that in mind.
  • candeladevesacandeladevesa Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone! I have not been using any gel, which one do you recommend? Also, with which other products do you pair it with? I have deva stylist close to me and im thinking to schedule an appointment for a cut but i’m still a little scared! I would love to go talk to them before but they’re not that close to me. I am thinking it should get more curly after the cut but the shorter pieces around my face aren’t that curly so i didn’t know what to think! Thanks again
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    A lot of people like LA Looks gel, which is available at drugstores and is cheap. My hair dislikes protein, so I use Kenra's firm-hold gel (not the curly one but the regular one).

As far as what to pair it with, you'll have to experiment. I use a leave-in conditioner first and a root booster, then I follow with the gel. After diffusing my hair dry, I finish with hairspray. Since your hair looks to be fine, you might be able to get away with skipping the leave-in conditioner, or else use just a tiny bit (I use a pea-sized amount for my whole head).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file