3b, high porosity, coarse, possibly protein sensitive product recommendations

curlycriminalcurlycriminal Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hi! This site, especially CurlTalk, has helped me to learn a TON about my hair. It's been very beneficial and enlightening! However, I can't seem to find any products that meet my needs. Before I get into those you should probably know a bit about my curls:

I have red, high porosity, 3b curls. I think they're naturally porous because I am a young teen and have never chemically treated my hair and rarely have ever used any heat. I also have coarse hair. The coarseness of my hair and the fact that it's high porosity is very frustrating because I don't know if my hair is dry from not enough moisture, or from protein overload. I think it might be a bit protein sensitive because I used to use the non CG OGX Coconut Curls line and my hair felt even more coarse which I think was due to the coconut. However, I'm not positive yet!

I've been on the hunt for some budget friendly products that are ideally under $8, but that's almost impossible to find so under $10 works too xD. I'd love to find a super moisturizing line (high porosity) with no coconut and low amounts of any other protein (coarse). Right now my main concern is shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner, and a deep conditioner or hair masque. So basically everything except a gel ;). Ohh, and CG friendly with no silicones, parabens, or sulfates! It would also be ideal if I could find it in stores like CVS, Target, or Walmart.

I know this is A LOT to ask for but I'm hoping I can get some good recommendations! I'm willing to compromise on the no/low protein if its SUPER moisturizing and conditioning. I was looking into the Shea Moisture High Porosity line and their Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention shampoo so if you have any thoughts on these I'd love to hear them. And any other tips for a high porosity teen would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

Here's what I am currently using:
-Shampoo: Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex Shampoo
-Conditioner: Maui Moisture Smooth + Repair Vanilla Bean Conditioner
-Lean In: Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Cream

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Before we suggest products, why do you think your hair is high porosity?  I am curious since you seem to have avoided much of the stuff that would cause high porosity.

How does your hair react when you wet it?  Does it soak in water right away or repel water like a freshly washed car?

Some people complain about coconut oil making their hair stiff, that does not necessarily mean protein sensitive.  I read somewhere coconut oil can do that to your hair since it is a solid at room temperature - I don't know if that is a fact, but I did read it.

One inexpensive product that is getting a lot of buzz lately is the new 1 minute masks from Garnier.  They can be used as a leave in or rinse out.  And I have seen it on the WalMart & Target websites.  They are nice that you can try it without making a huge investment.

Here is what helped me figure out that my hair needed protein
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

It is possible that your hair needs both protein and moisture.

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • curlycriminalcurlycriminal Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Before we suggest products, why do you think your hair is high porosity?  I am curious since you seem to have avoided much of the stuff that would cause high porosity.

How does your hair react when you wet it?  Does it soak in water right away or repel water like a freshly washed car?

Some people complain about coconut oil making their hair stiff, that does not necessarily mean protein sensitive.  I read somewhere coconut oil can do that to your hair since it is a solid at room temperature - I don't know if that is a fact, but I did read it.

One inexpensive product that is getting a lot of buzz lately is the new 1 minute masks from Garnier.  They can be used as a leave in or rinse out.  And I have seen it on the WalMart & Target websites.  They are nice that you can try it without making a huge investment.

Here is what helped me figure out that my hair needed protein
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

It is possible that your hair needs both protein and moisture.

Thank you so much! 

I took the porosity quiz on here and got high porosity, but I've also done a bit of reading on porosity types and my hair seems to have the characteristics of high porosity hair. It absorbs water relatively quickly, breaks easily, and loses moisture quickly, in my opinion. However now I'm wondering if it's not high porosity but just super dry form not using enough moisturizing products xD

And thanks for letting me know about the coconut oil! I'll try not to be scared of products that list it as an ingredient now xD

I will definitely look into those hair masks! 

Thanks again!

Anymore tips and recommendations are welcome :)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    So glad you've found CurlTalk helpful! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file