Could you please help me figure out what is my hair type? Thank you in advance!

PeruoriqueñoPeruoriqueño Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited April 2018 in Curly Men
Hi all! I'm new to this forum! 

I've lived my 24 years of existence in deep confusion regarding my hair type. Have never known how to take care of it. Would like to start, but, of course, I have to first know what type it is... hopefully I'll get some help from someone here! #helpamestizoout

Hope you all have a great day, night, etc. 

Thank u.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,844Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  It's hard to tell the curl type when your hair is short, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the type 3 category.  And this part is really hard to tell just from pictures - but it also looks coarse and dense.  It's a bit less dense above your ear, but the top and back look really dense.  Or maybe that's just the way the light is hitting it. 

Curl type doesn't really matter in hair care.  What's more important is strand thickness, density and porosity.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome, @Peruoriqueño!  We're glad you've joined us. Tell us about your hair care routine.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • PeruoriqueñoPeruoriqueño Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for answering! @Guide 65 and @Gretchen

Yes, that's a good way to describe it, coarse. I don't think it's the light hitting it that makes it look like that. That's the type of language that throughout the years has constantly been used to describe it (also, wool like, sheep like, kinky, rough), so probably on the right track w/ that description. The thing is I took the quiz and it said I have 2C waves. But, then I looked it up online and the images at least, which I don't know how accurate it is to go just by them, didn't really reflect how my hair grows out. I've let it grow long a couple of times and it grows upwards and when it's really big it starts to fall down a little bit. I guess, afro like would be another way to describe it. Andalso, looking at sort of "Jew fro" types of hair, that type doesn't seem to really match mine. Those "fros" tend to have way looser curls, from what I've seen... 

About my hair care routine. Well, I really only shampoo. I use like regular head and shoulders. I really have never put much thought into hair care and stuff. But, yeah, I was just wondering if maybe there's some type of product, etc. I could be using to take better care of it. I do see that @Guide 65 said curl type doesn't really matter regarding hair care. So, I don't know haha. I guess, I'll just leave it up to whoever answers back to give me some tips, etc.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to answer. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,844Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    A good start would be to use a gentler shampoo followed by a conditioner.  I've always found salon brands are gentler than grocery store brands.  They're more expensive though.  Sometimes you can find better brands in the grocery stores - Nexus or Joico are readily available here.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • majhussain977majhussain977 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    with the right hair products, easily 3a/b. try shampoo it less and use more conditioner.Also, don't rub your hair with a towel when drying it, let it drip dry. ;) 

I would really appreciate if you could answer my question btw ;D
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    @majhussain977 I'm sorry if we missed your question. Perhaps you could link us to it? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • majhussain977majhussain977 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    @majhussain977 I'm sorry if we missed your question. Perhaps you could link us to it? 

Gretchen said:

Sure :) https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/186984/what-curl-type-is-my-hair-male-hair#latest
  • Creole PrincessCreole Princess Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited May 2018
    My guess for your hair would be 3b, but it's hard to tell since it is short. you have nice dense hair. I'm still alittle new around these parts but you can do a easy porosity test with a strand or too and see if it sinks or floats. I think in the newbie section we have info for density, thickness and porosity test.

EDIT: Also... you should add a conditioner, to help bring back moisture and all that good stuff that shampoos strip your hair of. I also agree with Guide65 about a more gentle shampoo.

@Peruoriqueño
    My Hair:
    2c/3a || Low Porosity/Average || High Density || Fine/Medium strands || Half Virgin Half Dyed Hair 

Current Products:
    Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Conditioner || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Hair Mask (DC) || Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave In || Cholesterol Hot Oil Treatment || Grape Seed Oil || Rice Water Rinse || 14 in 1 Moisturizer || Carol Daughter Vanilla Spray || Argan Oil Mouse || Style Factor Edge Boost || Salon Pro Maximum hold Twin Olive || Garnier Fructis Flat Iron Spray

Currently Waist Length 29" || Goal: Classical Length 40"

• oceankascurlsoceankascurls Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I suspect if your hair grew it would be 3a/b, you can see ringlets wanting to form and definently will if you grow it out. since you know that if your hair was longer it would be 3a/b I would care for it accordingly, as it's still the same or similar to other 3a/b hair in texture and such, just shorter.
    2B, 2C, 3A | low porosity | high density | medium-course

Shower Products:
    Conditoner: Innersense Hydrating Cream
    Cleanser: Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Clarifying Shampoo: Noughty Detox Dynamo

Styling Products:
    Volumizing Foam: Innersense 'I Create Lift'
    Cream: Davroe Curl Creme Definer
    Finishing Spray: Innersense 'I Create Finish'
    Gel: Still looking for a good gel, send me product recomendations that ship to or sell in Australia!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file