Bare Escentuals

StarlaStarla Posts: 31Registered Users
I've been looking for some makeup that's gentle and natural and I've been considering trying out Bare Escentuals.
Reviews anybody?

Comments

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    WavyLexi, I am a HUGE fan of this stuff, so I bumped up a recent long thread about it (I didn't feel like typing out all my raves again :) ). It's on the Non-Hair board, thread title "Could This Be the Perfect Foundation?"

HTH.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • ChelleChelle Posts: 131Registered Users
    Lexi.....that is so amazing, I just spent the last couple of hours reading reviews and such on makealley about this. I've never tried it and never even seen the infomercial (looking for a channel that has it) but I heard someone mention it in their post and looked into it.

I'm not happy with my makeup (particularly my foundation) right now either, I've been from Loreal to Revlon and curretnly using Mary Kay's cream to powder but I swear all of this stuff makes my skin look horrid. I want something that will cover my imperfections (blotchiness and such) but still let my glow show through. I feel like every morning when I put my makeup on, I'm smeering on a mask so no one can see my *real* face.....plus I really hate all of the chemicals and stuff that I am putting on my face.

Sweetpickles....haven't heard from you in a while :D I'm off to read your reviews.

Chelle
    2a?, using MOP C system hydrating poo, Elucence conditioner, B&A Biomineral gel......off and on results....rely most on my curling iron for help
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    SweetPickles~ thank you so much! Off to peruse that thread now.

Chelle~ that is too funny. I've been using prescriptives sheer foundation and while it is an excellent foundation (it better be for $40 a bottle) I feel the same way you do: I'm tired of having make up face.
    Plus, I like more natural products anyway.
    Sweetpickles.....I think I'm ready to try some of this stuff.....but.....it sounds so confusing :? There is a starter kit for $60 but it doesn't include any eye shadow which is a bummer because I love ES. There are kits that include it plus a bunch of other stuff but they are over a $100 :shock:

I've been checking QVC all night and can't find it on there, checked their list of shows and none of them match my channels (I have DISH network) I would love to see the infomercial to get a better idea of how to use this stuff and what sort of look I should expect.

I have a lot of brown spots and scars and unevenness and it is hard for me to believe that mineral powder will cover that up and make my face look better than foundation.

Are complexions look similar, I have a choice of getting 1.2 & 2 or 2.3 & 3 together, which one would you suggest? I would really like to try the 2 and the 2.3 together but they don't come like that.....or can I call and request it?

I'm still trying to sort out all of the different products, do you buy yours online or is there a store near you?

Chelle
    2a?, using MOP C system hydrating poo, Elucence conditioner, B&A Biomineral gel......off and on results....rely most on my curling iron for help
  • StarlaStarla Posts: 31Registered Users
    Thank you sooo much! Off to read that thread!
    I found a new schedule for the infomercials in case you haven't seen it (I haven't and can't wait to watch it) Here it is, http://www.bareminerals.com/index.jsp?command=show

It comes on PAX at 4p.m. today (according to the schedule) so I am hoping to see it.

Chelle
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another vote for this stuff.

I love it. My skin looks awesome. It's kind of tough to get the hang of it at first, but I love it.
    :rambo:
    I was really aggrevated.....I watched infomercials half the day, then waited until one was supposed to be on.......and nothing :x I called customer service so that they could tell me when one would be on in my area but their computers were down :? Apparently 4 p.m. their time isn't 4 p.m. my time, does anyone know what time zone they are on? I am on EST (in IN)

I am so tempted to order some but I would really like to see the infomercial first.

Chelle
    Hi Chelle!

I haven't been posting much, since, after my recent failure at finding the perfect spray gel (guess I should change my sig line and post the horrible reviews of the dozen or so gels I tried, eh?), I've just been sticking with the exact same routine as always: leave-in, Gelee, Volumax to finish. I think this is about as good as it's ever going to get, no matter how much I try to tweak things with product experimentation. I did get a new haircut with some much shorter layers, and that's helped a lot too, that and the change in weather. My hair always looks best in the summer months and when I'm at the beach.

Anyway, on to the BE stuff! I hope I can address everything in the threads since last week! I imagine the times listed for the infomercial could probably be PST, since BE is based out of California. That would make sense. So, it's still a couple of hours behind you. Be doesn't have any really good upcoming shows on the QVC either till June 12.

I have fairly even skin to start with, but I do think that you could get good coverage with this stuff. I know a lot of people who have things like rosacea who use it, with good results. There is a great e/s called Bisque (there's also one called Summer Bisque, which is more warm toned, and the Bisque is more cool toned) that a lot of people, including myself, use as concealer. Don't let the consistency of this stuff fool you--it has really good coverage. But, it doesn't feel heavy, doesn't feel like foundation at all (which is why I love it!). You can always try it and send it back if you don't like it. If it doesn't give you enough coverage, I've heard that the Jane Iredale mineral foundations have extremely heavy coverage. Personally though, I think the BE would work.

Whenever I know someone interested in trying BE, I suggest they get a kit from www.bareminerals.com. You get more products (starter kit is about $60) that you don't get from the infomercial usually. Personally, I would get the initial kit to see how you like the products, and then build you e/s collection from there. I do love their e/s a lot too, and I'm addicted to their powder eyeliner shadows as well. The current kit there has the foundation, Mineral Veil (their finishing powder--I rarely use this since my skin is very dry), Warmth (which I never use either and give to my mother, too brown for me), 2 brushes, a concealer brush, the video, and the refillable compact (which is fabulous).

I think what colors you try for foundation depend a lot on whether your skin is cool or warm toned. The #1 shades are extremely fair (though Mom2Rob uses a variation of those I think). I started out trying the #3, which was okay, but works better when I mix it with #2 (so basically I'm wearing #2.3, but I mix it myself). In the summer, I just wear straight #3. I am quite cool toned. All the odd numbers are cooler/pinker colors, while the evens are warmer/more yellow. The #2 by itself is very yellow looking to me. From looking at your photos, I would guess that the #1.2 & #2 might be too light for you, but that's just a guess. The 1 colors are very light. Don't let the names of the colors fool you! I'm quite pale and get a little color in the summer, and they're both far too light for me. I don't know if you can substitute one of the shades in the kit though. You can try calling and ask them. I would imagine that if you ordered the kit and then wanted to swap one of the shades for another, they might let you do that, if you can't immediately choose a different foundation color for the kit.

This is a great website where you can see all the colors of all the products:
    http://www.geocities.com/beaddictsforum/be_color_comparisons_copy.htm

I ordered my initial kit from website I posted about, and usually order refills either from QVC or get them from one of the boutiques. There aren't any boutiques really close to me, but I've flown into Atlanta a few times recently (there's one at the airport) and there's one in NJ on my way to visit my in-laws at the shore.

If you want to look at the colors first, you can try going to Ulta. I would still recommend then getting the kit online, as you get more for you $ than you would buying the smaller kit that Ulta carries. I looked up IN and there are stores in Fort Wayne and one in Merrillville: http://www.ulta.com/control/indiana If I remember correctly (I did my undergrad in Bloomington!), Merrillville isn't that far from you, is it?
    Ulta has been hit or miss for me. Ulta doesn't carry that much and are often out of stuff, but I've never seen them out of the foundations. So you could test the colors there and order online. They also carry a bunch of the e/s.

Oh, for e/s, they have 3 levels. Eyeshadows are completely matte, 'glimmers' are shimmery, and 'glimpses' are a mix of the two.

Any more questions, just let me know!!

Mel
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • AccountessaAccountessa Posts: 13Registered Users
    I purchased sample sizes off http://www.littlestuff4u.com/ . The sample amounts are generous.

Thank you, SweetPickles for all the useful information concerning BE!

I have sensitive, acne-prone skin and liquid foundations wreaked havoc with it. In fact, when I first started using BE, I had trouble with facial itchiness and dryness. The solution that worked for me was simply to apply a thin layer of oil-free moisturizer prior to brushing the BE into the skin. No more itchiness and the coverage lasted all day. No major breakouts to contend with, either.
    2c ii Medium. Curls can be coaxed with diffusing. Oils, oils, and more oils.
    I called and ordered my 7 piece set from bareminerals.com today.......I can't wait to try it. I think I'll give up on the infomercial.....I talked to numerous people today and none of them can give me a time or day when it is on. There is a schedule on their site but it doesn't jive with what is on my channels (even when I figure in a time difference)

Sweetpickles-You are just a wealth of information :D I was really leaning toward the light kit because I like more yellow based foundations but the lady on the phone said that 80% of women order the medium and you wear medium....so I went medium. I am wondering, if I like this stuff and want to order more things (like eye shadow and blush and such) how do you go about picking a color? There are sooo many shades of ES I wouldn't know where to start......did you call their makeup advisor? or just pick some? I generally like browns and neutral colored ES. Also what is the difference in their shadow and their liner shadow, can you use the regular as a liner and the liner as a regular? (if that makes any sense) Do you use any of their face lights stuff or blush?

Thanks for all the info, I can't wait to try it......my Mary Kay lady might be niffed :D

Chelle
    Excellent Chelle! I hope you'll love it as much as I do! If it turns out that the colors are right except for the tone (i.e. they're too pink for you), you can always order (or stop by the Ulta I mentioned) and get the #2 and mix your own. Here's a hint for getting the shade right:

Take a small, eyeshadow brush (or any brush roughly the same size). Dip it into the minerals liberally (more than you would if you were actually going to use it!), and paint a stripe vertically down one cheek. Do the same thing with the other shade of foundation, placing the stripe directly next to the first one. You can also try various mixes (moving to the other cheek when you run out of room ), If you stand in natural light, you should have no problem seeing which stripe matches your skin exactly. It's really simple and works great!

I was lucky in that shortly after I started to use this stuff, I ended up flying to Atlanta. So I didn't buy any e/s until I got to see everything in person. I have probably about 15 of them now. That link I posted with all the color comparisons should help with the color choices for you. The owner of the website has grouped all the shades by color (and also by product type), and there's a whole grouping of browns/neutrals (http://www.dtnorth.com/BE/Brown.jpg), peach shades (http://www.dtnorth.com/BE/Peach.jpg and yellowish shades (http://www.dtnorth.com/BE/White,%20Yellow,%20Gold%20and%20Copper.jpg). If you want recs from any of those groups, let me know. I use more pinkish/cool shades in e/s, but I have some of the neutrals and I've frequented the Delphi boards long enough to know which ones seem to be most popular.

About the liner shadows (which is my current obsession)...the beauty of BE products is that you can use them for multiple purposes--my HG blush is actually an e/s, a lovely shimmery pink that I can't imagine would look good on any woman's eyes! I also use one of their liner shadows for brow color. The colors really can all be used interchangeably, and I've found that with some of them, a color that would never work as an e/s for me looks great as a blush, etc. The ones designated as liner shadows are more pigmented than regular e/s or glimmers though, but regular shadows can be used to line. I get a super skinny taklon paintbrush from Michael's, and these work better than ANY pencil liner I've ever tried.

I have a lot of their blushes & all over face colors as well. One that I absolutely recommend to everyone, regardless of their skin tone is True (an all over color). It's a beautiful coral-y color, with flecks of gold in it. It looks scarily sparkly in the jar, but on, it's probably one of the most perfect colors ever.

I think I've covered everything. For now! :lol:
    And, if anyone is ordering anything from Sephora in the near future, here's a chance to get a free sample of the True all over face color and a free brush:

DETAILS:
    Moms are wonderfully complex—part teachers, part chauffeur, part confidante, but most importantly, she's all woman. With a huge selection of beautiful gifts to satisfy her many different sides, Sephora is your go-to Mother's Day destination!

And for a limited time, we'll include a free deluxe sample of BARE ESCENTUALS i.d. bareMinerals All-Over Face Color in True with brush, with any order while supplies last.* This revolutionary product, made with 100% pure micronized minerals and infused with SPF 15, will have her glowing in no time. Just enter MOM2004 in the promotion code box during checkout to get your deluxe sample in time for Mother's Day.
  • ScaryCurlScaryCurl Posts: 138Registered Users
    I would have posted sooner, but I just realized there was a makeup section...duh. Anyway, I LOVE this stuff and have converted three family members to it. I have made quite a few purchases on e-bay.

I will never go back to liquid foundation!
    Hair type: 3C. Favorite products for the moment: CONDITIONER: Elucence MBC, LEAVE-IN COND: Curls Rock. CURL ENHANCER: Frederic Fekkai Luscious Curls. GEL: Ouidad Climate Control (HG), FINISHING: Frederic Fekkai Glossing Creme.
    Yay Scarycurl, glad you like it! I was wondering how it turned out for you!
    Thanks so much for all of the BE info Sweetpickles......I'm sorting through it all now and I just found the BE addicts forum (that will keep me busy for a while :D )

I was wondering.....is that you in your avatar? It looks like you and if it is your hair looks great.....very shiny but then less curly than I would think so I didn't know if it was you or not :D

Chelle
    Chelle, hee! It's actually Amy Acker, an actress on the series 'Angel.' She turned all evil a few episodes back and this is her new look. I much prefer it to her usually whiny, often annoying character! I did always want blue hair though. If Manic Panic had been around when I was in high school ages ago, I imagine I very well might have!
    I finally received my BE makeup :D The first day (last night) I just dusted some overtop of my regular makeup (just playing around) and was so impressed.....I looked in the mirror and thought wow! This morning though, I used it alone and realized that it is too dark (I bought the medium kit) for me. In my photos that were taken last summer, I had been going to the tanning bed, I haven't and don't plan to do that this summer so I am paler than I was.

I am a bit concerned about how it is going to work with my dry skin. It didn't make my face flakey but it certainly doesn't add moisture either. I imagine it would be awesome if you had an oily face. Anyone here use it who has dry skin?

I am really interested in the all over face color called Clear Radiance.....ever use that? It looks like it would be a better match for my complexion than the Warmth......she says on the video that everone should use the warmth but you have to be sooo careful with it since it is so dark.

I'll shut up for now but this is really neat stuff :D

Chelle
  • IrishOneIrishOne Posts: 15Registered Users
    Chelle wrote:
    I am a bit concerned about how it is going to work with my dry skin. It didn't make my face flakey but it certainly doesn't add moisture either. I imagine it would be awesome if you had an oily face. Anyone here use it who has dry skin?

I just received my kit, with medium foundation, and have been using it a couple weeks. I have VERY dry skin and was really concerned it would make my skin flake. So far I haven't had any problems. I make sure and moisurize well before I put on the foundation. I don't put the foundation on right away though. I give the moisturizer about 15 minutes to absorbe into my skin. I use Shea Butter on my skin at night and Aloette Skin Care during the day.
    I like the Warmth and find it doesn't look too brown on me. Nice color.
    I don't use the Mineral Veil. It washed me out too much and was too drying.
    Tried CG-Didn't Work Out
    Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
    Suave Conditioner
    CHS Curl Keeper and Gel
    That's great to hear, they are sending me the light kit (which has the 1.2 and 2 foundation) so I'm anxious to try it. I didn't really like the mineral veil much either, I used it since the video said to but thought my face looked better before I put it on. I put a heavier moisturizer on beforehand too and let it soak in well.....the first time I didn't let it soak in well enough and it messed up how the foundation went on.

I absolutely love the brushes it comes with.....they are amazing :D

Have you tried any of the shadows, blushes etc.?

Chelle
  • IrishOneIrishOne Posts: 15Registered Users
    No, I haven't tried any of the blushes or eye shadows yet. My husband is looking for a new job so we are pretty short of cash. It was hard to come up with the money for the kit, so it may be a while. Maybe I could swap the Mineral Veil for something. I'll have to go the the Delphi Forum and see if that's a possibility.
    The brushes are a dream. They feel so good and soft. I think they are worth the price of the kit alone.
    Tried CG-Didn't Work Out
    Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
    Suave Conditioner
    CHS Curl Keeper and Gel
    Chelle, I have really dry skin and don't have a problem with this stuff at all. I just do exactly like IrishOne mentioned, and moisturize really well and let it soak in for about 15 minutes (I moisturize and then diffuse my hair). For me, with dry skin, I find that I rarely if ever use the Mineral Veil at all.

I agree with you on the Warmth. For me, it's too brown and too dark. I sometimes use it as a bronzer in the summer, but it mostly just sits in my cabinet. I am familiar with most of the BE shadows and blushes, so let me know if you want more info. about any of them. I love both products, and the eyeliner shadows. And if you hadn't noticed, I just LOVE to talk about BE! :lol:

I have the Clear Radiance and do quite like it. But, it doesn't seem to show up very well (I just use it as kind of an all-over highlighter before my blush--my favorite blush is actually one of the eyeshadows!) on people with fair skin. On the BE Addicts board over at Delphi, the darker skinned women seem to like it a lot more than the pale folks. I cannot really wear it as blush though. the CR is actually very, very pink too. I'm not sure whether you're a cool or warm person, but I don't think it would work very well at all for someone whose skin is more warm toned.

If you're interested in a good color, I highly recommend True. It's a sort of neutral pinky coral color that has flecks of gold in it. It sounds strange, but it is a beautiful color, and almost universally flattering. It's one that I reach for a lot. It does look a bit deceptive in the jar though, I should warn you. It looks really shimmery in the jar. But it's not, and the effect is extremely subtle and sooooo pretty.
    Also wanted to mention that the twice-yearly TSV (Today's Special Value) BE kit is going to be on the QVC on Saturday, June 12th (the other one is usually in Nov. or Dec.). I haven't heard what the kit is yet, but these are usually fabulous! They tend to run about $50 and you get all kinds of goodies and usually some brushes too. Well worth it. I've gotten the last 3 or 4. I sometimes split them with my mum, since I've never used up any BE product yet.
    Hi Sweetpickles (or anyone else who want to talk BE :D )......I have my lighter foundations colors coming (should be here anyday) so I am really excited to try them. The medium kit was a tad too dark but my friend who is a tad darker and more warm than me really liked them.

I think I am mainly cool from descriptions I have seen, I burn easily but also tan easily and have a bit of yellow in my skin so I'm not totally cool :D I like to keep more neutral colors on my eyes (I dabble with a lavender here and there but mainly neutrals) I tend to like a true brown/taupe colors.....I hate reddish browns. I have my eye on a few shadows.....here's my list.....maybe you can comment if you've tried them.
    Celestine
    Queen Tiffany
    Nude Beach
    Cocoa
    Waterlily
    Heart
    Bubbly
    Pebble
    Vanilla Sugar

For blush I really like the look of the Kiss and the Blush e/s you mentioned, I don't want anything too pink though, I like to stay sort of neutrally pink because I hate to look clownish. I do need blush though becuase my cheek bones need some serious help.

I really like the look of the Lip Quickies in #3 Nude for nice natural looking lips.

I will have to look at the True color, it looks dark in the picture but the way you describe it sounds really pretty.....I like to add a touch of peach to my basically cool (pink/neutral) colors to add warmth to my face.

I do have a couple of questions, first, do the eye shadows fade quickly? I was reading on makeupalley and it seemed like a lot of girls were compaining that they faded quickly, I use Revlon or Mary Kay shadows now and I do like one that will stick farely well.

Secondly, you mentioned that you don't like their lipsticks, is it because of the quality or what? I like a lipstick that wears well but that is not drying. Again, I prefer more of a neutrally/pink look......nothing too bright.

That's all for now :D

Chelle
    Well, I've got a lot of ground to cover, so I'd better get started!

It sounds to me like you might be neutral. If you are, then I'm jealous. I love all the colors I shouldn't wear, as mostly cool toned (earth colors!). I have a number of neutral/taupey BE e/s, and I hardly ever wear them, save a few. But I can comment on several of the ones you've mentioned. I do find though that BE brownish shades tend to be more reddish than taupe, overall. This is probably one reason I don't wear them more. I just got their newest brown liner shadow and love it, because it's a really dark, red-less brown. This link has a listing of all the colors with descriptions (which I'm stealing for this post!). Down at the bottom you can get written descriptions of all the other BE products too:
    http://www.geocities.com/beaddictsforum/BEEyeshadows.html

Shadows that I have:
    Celestine—This is one of my favorites, not at all pink and very sheer: A darker version of Nude Beach, neutral glimmery beige.
    Queen Tiffany—I have this and like it, but it's a bit more dramatic than I ususally use-I go for a really natural look: A real sleeper of a glimmer, often referred to by Addicts as “an eyelift in a pot”. A coppery brown glimmer complimentary to most all skin tones.
    Nude Beach—I like this, but it's not as sheer as Celestine and is a bit dark and shimmery for me, so rarely use it: The platinum blond of glimmers. A sandy platinum with high gleam appeal.
    Pebble—I like this a lot, a little pink (Cocoa seems more taupe), but still light and sheer: – Pale milk chocolate, with a pink cast.
    Vanilla Sugar—I like this one, but it's a wee bit too warm for me: Peach nectar mixed with vanilla cream and a tiny twist of lustre; a very pale pastel.

Ones I don't have but will comment on:
    Cocoa —This one sounds great!! I think I would choose this over Pebble if you're concerned about redness: Cocoa Shadow is a light neutral powdery brown with coolish and slighty gray undertones. It's sheer and matte, and is one of those colors you reach for when you want a great sheer taupe.
    Waterlily—This is brand new, so I've not seen or tried it, but it sounds like it would be right up my alley: Water Lily is a cool silvery orchid with a shimmer much like Heart. It is very much like a paler version of Dream lipstick. Cool skin tones will love this as a blush, as well as a great color for eyes and cheeks.
    Heart—I've never seen this one, but it sounds quite dark to me: Gleaming rosy plum.
    Bubbly—A warm creamy neutral with just a whisper of peach. Not as pink as Bare Skin (which I have but do not like as it's much too pink), yet not as browny/taupe as Vanilla Sugar. Like a darker version of City Lights Glimpse. This shadow has a slight sheen.

Some other suggestions that you didn't specifically mention, that I've either tried/have or which I know are really popular:

Neutrals:
    City Lights – Very nice shade! Gleaming satin flesh tone.
    Wild Woman Sarah – Pale glimmery beigey tan, much along the lines of a glimmery version of Pebble.
    Soul – A buttery warm vanilla.
    Soft Focus Glamour - A medium intensity completely matte cocoa brown. Think cocoa lightened with a bit of coffee creamer and spiked with a dash of cinnamon. this would make an excellent brow color for those with light auburn or strawberry blonde hair as well.
    Soft Focus Pure - A completely matte pale fleshy peach; warm without being orangey and bright without being garish. Extremely warm complexions may find it has too much pink, however, it is surprisingly neutral.

Purples:
    Hyacinth – This is one of my fave colors, ever! Lilac with a pink twist, barely there, very pale and shimmery.
    Joeli – Very pale, looks great with Hyacinth: Light but opaque; a pale orchid with slightly “dirty” undertones (whatever that means!).

You asked about how quickly the e/s fade, and I have to say, that I don't think they fade any more quickly than any others that I've tried. I think using one of the two products below as a base really helps with fading.

My two can't do without e/s products. I use these every, single day, either as an e/s base, or alone. Both work great as concealer!
    Bisque – A cool version of flesh tone, very opaque, and makes a great concealer.
    Summer Bisque – The warmer version of Bisque, equally as opaque, and a great concealer for warm toned skin. Lighter than Foundation #2 (Light).

Let me know if you want suggestions on any of the pink shades. Those tend to be my preferred colors!

Moving on...

I haven't yet tried the Kiss blush, but I am thinking of getting that one. Here's a description:
    Kiss - This blush has the bashful satiny sheen of a bushing six year old who's just gotten a kiss on the cheek from her first true love. It's a light, transparent, slightly glimmery baby rose pink that just whispers innocence. What Sorbet is to peach, Kiss blush is to pink.

I definitely suggest you check out True. I think if I had to only choose to own one BE product, that might be it. IMO, BE blushes tend to either be really pink, or really brown. There don't seem to be too many in between.

Some other blushes you might like based on their descriptions (the ones I have are in bold):
    Beauty – A cool true pink, soft in intensity.
    Blush Pearl – Pale shimmery blushing pink.
    Golden Gate – This blush is a darker version of Sorbet, a mid-toned pink to peach blush that is excellent for pale-skinned cool ladies.
    Hint – Pearly, slightly shimmery mid-range pink, as if it were a combination of Beauty and Blush Pearl.
    Thistle – Very much like True without the glimmer. Warmer in tone than Glee, a light brownish pink.

I'm sorry that I can't really speak to the lipstick issue much. Frankly, the reason I don't wear BE lipsticks mostly has to do with the fact that I'm cheap! I've tried a few, and they're okay, but they don't seem to be/do anything spectacular enough for me to warrant the price. I just stick with cheap, drugstore brands. My stepmother loves their True lipgloss though, absolutely loves it. For lippies, I tend to stick with either just a tinted lipbalm, or one of the long wearing kinds (Outlast or Max Factor). Lipstick doesn't stay on me at all!

The exception to this is that I really like the BE Vitamin E gloss sticks. The color is very sheer (which I prefer), and they're really moisturizing. A lot of people don't like the scent though, which is a faint rose. They just introduced a new color that I think I'm going to buy in these Vit E sticks called Baby Lips, which is a really pale, sheer pink. I also like Temptation – Glossy cool and deep lilac.

I think that's more than enough for now... :lol:
    Wanted to add that Cocoa, Waterlily, and Kiss blush are all part of the 2004 Grand Collection. At this point, you can't get any of those items individually, you have to buy the whole $100+ kit. BE will probably eventually make them available as singles, but for now, they're not. That's too bad, b/c I think I really need Waterlily and Kiss...

ALSO, for anyone interested, here's a description of the BE TSV kit that's going to be on the QVC on June 12th. It all sounds a little too warm for me, which seems to be the case with the Spring/Summer TSVs. The Fall/Winter ones seem more geared for the cool folks. I may be interested in the Warm Radiance, but I'll have to see it first:

This TSV kit comes in a colorful vinyl mini-train case and is called The Wish Kit, themed on "Everything You Wished For". Inside is the following:

Fast and Flawless Eye Brush, which is a mini-version of the blush brush

Magic Wand Brushless Mascara (instructions will be included)

Baby Buki Brush, a mini-version of the regular kabuki brush

2-color Lipstick Palette in Sensuous and Irresistible (in the light berry family)

Warm Radiance This is Clear Radiance with a warm tone

2 shades of Foundation in the 2g size, paired as they are in the infomerical kits

Well Rested Eye Shadow in the ivory family

Good Fortune Glimmer which is similar in color to Warm Radiance, but with golden flecks

A generous sample of Liquid Loofah

10 pieces in total, plus the case
  • DollyfaceDollyface Posts: 7Registered Users
    I wanted to chime in here too about Bare Escentuals. I've been an avid fan of BE for years now. I have tried almost everything. I have tons of their eyeshadows and blushes which are beautiful.

On May 17, they will back back again on QVC. Check www.qvc.com for actual times. Some items will be offered at special anniversary prices. I'll be watching!

On a similar note, all you ladies interested in mineral makeup, log onto www.aromaleigh.com and give them a looksee. I don't knock Bare Escentuals at all. They have a great line. But Aromaleigh's line of mineral makeup doesn't contain Bismuth Oxychloride (which some women claim make their face itch). And Aromaleigh is a lot cheaper too. Their skincare is absolutely fabulous and is a wonderful primer to receive mineral makeup. And you can buy generous samples of anything in the makeup line for a buck or two.

I have tons of Bare Escentuals and Aromaleigh. I just LOVE mineral makeup.

Dollyface :)
    Dollyface-I could have died when I read your reply and I'm sort of bummed.....the BE makes my face itch :? Not horribly but for example, I dusted a bit on top of my regular makeup (since I am still waiting for my lighter colored samples) and within a few minutes my face was itching....sort of like little things are maybe crawling on me. It's not horrid and I didn't take the makeup back off and I can just ignore it but I didn't realize that other people had the same reaction to it.

I will look at the Aromaleigh, are their colors similar to the BE and are their brushes just as nice? I really love everything about the BE except for the nagging facial itching.

Does it make anyone elses face itch?

Chelle
  • DollyfaceDollyface Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hi Chelle,

Yes, I guess the Bismuth is a pretty common irritant for some ladies. I personally haven't had any itching, so I can wear both lines. But a lot of the ladies who buy Aromaleigh switched from BE because of the itching. Since you recently purchased the BE, maybe you can return the product (and get your $ back) since you're possibly one of those allergic people.

As far as Aromaleigh goes, they have a much, much bigger color selection for the foundations. When you log on to their site you'll see what I mean. And the brushes are premium top quality and I'm a brush snob. My favorite to apply my face powder is the Ultimate Buffer. The prices for the brushes are a lot less than department store quality brushes. I also love the crease brush for applying shadow to the crease area. Works great.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Dollyface :)
    I just finished reading a bunch of reviews on the Aromaleigh at makeupalley and most of the girls seem to agree on one thing, the AL is more matte and doesn't give the glowy look......some people may like that but with my dry skin I really like the extra glow I get with the BE. So......I guess I'll fiddle with it, the itching isn't intense or anything but it is annoying......I wonder if it will get better or worse?

I can't wait until my lighter samples get here......

Chelle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file