Bracott

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
Oh man this makes me so mad. https://www.racked.com/2018/4/12/17229062/bracott-bradenton-high-school

What horse poop. I hate that "the boys are distracted" nonsense. The boys need to control themselves. 

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am not in support of this.  I am sick of seeing girls going to school in short shorts & cropped tops then get upset that they are getting attention.  Now they want to ban bras?  I live near a high school & I don't see the boys flaunting their six packs or packages.  When I went to school there was a strict dress rule for both sexes.  There doesn't seem to be much of one today.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think they're proposing banning bras. Just not requiring them. IMHO it shouldn't be incumbent upon the wearer to "not attract attention". I should be upon the attention-giver to behave appropriately. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am not a fan of the idea that women have to cover up because men can't control themselves.

It is a very tough and fine line that educators have to walk in regard to dress code.  Having worked in schools for many years there are certainly students that like to flaunt their bodies.  I have seen many outfits I would not let my kid out of the house wearing.  However it does not seem like that is the case in this situation and that girl should not have had to deal with it.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This is very tricky, because no one should be required to wear a bra. OTOH, as @WavyKfromNJ points out, sometimes not wearing a bra is done on purpose to be provocative. It sounds to me like the school blew this way out of proportion. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I am not a fan of the idea that women have to cover up because men can't control themselves.
    I agree 100%.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    It isn't men trying to control themselves.  It is Jr High & High School boys.  It is girls wearing "butt shorts", etc.  Of course, the boys are going to look & get an impression.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It isn't men trying to control themselves.  It is Jr High & High School boys.  It is girls wearing "butt shorts", etc.  Of course, the boys are going to look & get an impression.  
    My first sentence was more of a cultural point rather that this specific incident.  But, if you think the adult men don't notice you are wrong, and there are plenty of adult men in schools. 
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited April 2018
    I don't know if  a Bracott is going too far or not, but I do think have a girl put bandaids on her nipples is going to far.   How about having the boys but something humiliating across the front of their pants to hide their boners?   I wonder how well that would be received.  

Really! Teach the boys how to behave properly! By doing this to that girl, they are teaching the girls shame and teaching the boys that they are not expected to control themselves. They have to learn that lesson. Control yourself and be respectful of others. Grade school 101.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It looks like I quoted myself but I didn't know how to edit the post properly!
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is tricky. I don't think things should be hanging out, jiggling(including on boys). Need to dress appropriately.  But at the same time it is subjective.  I think what happened to the girl int his specific case was silly unless stuff was very visible.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    a few years ago, HQ was trying to develop a dress code for us in the court system, but they had to abandon the project because the restrictions were overwhelmingly directed at women.

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • lawlaw Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited April 2018
    What is worn UNDERNEATH clothes has no bearing on a dress code. As long as her top isn't see-through here is no reason why a girl/woman should have to wear a bra. I don't care how large her breasts are, how much they jiggle. So if there are overweight boys with man-boobs, are they going to have to wear a bra?  If a person's legs/butt/stomach jiggle are they going to have to wear spanx (boys too?)?! 
    So boys can't control themselves because of the SHAPE of a breast/nipple that they can't even SEE?!  Bullcrap. Teach your sons to control themselves, behave, and just plain mind their own business. 
    I soooo agree with you. You should not be able to dictate someones underclothes.
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    hmkenny said:
    How about having the boys but something humiliating across the front of their pants to hide their boners?   I wonder how well that would be received.  

My 10 y/o son is reading a puberty/birds & bees book where they explain how to hide boners! So many suggestions!  :D:D:D:s:p

I feel like so many women feel that their rights are being taken away with this.  I do feel that instead of putting this girl thru giving a t shirt & bandages for her nipples she should have been sent home.   Less humiliating.  There are dress codes for work & should be in school to prepare children.  Boys & girls.  No one is saying what you should be wearing under your clothing.  It has to be with how much you are showing.  When is enough enough?  I already see the butt shorts & short tops on girls at school.  Now they should be able to go without bras?  Come on!  
    From Michael Berg:

I guess there are a lot of different viewpoints on this. 
    I hate bras. Hate them. Why should I have to wear something that is so uncomfortable and miserable just to make someone else happy? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • lawlaw Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gretchen said:
    I guess there are a lot of different viewpoints on this. 
    I hate bras. Hate them. Why should I have to wear something that is so uncomfortable and miserable just to make someone else happy? 
    I hate bras also. I can understand it may be lewd to not wear a bra if you have a sheer top on( Nobody is dying to see your boobs). Other than that, it should be optional. Bras are a recent invention. We have not been wearing them since the beginning of time, and nobody should be forced to wear them. It was standard to wear a corset at one time. Bras are better but still torture for some of us. 
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How can you control nippage, tho? Some women and girls have prominent nipples. Or start high beaming when they get cold. Even with a bra. Also, there seems to a few women who always have camel toe...even when wearing panties. What is the solution?

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Why does it matter if our nipples are hard? Just another thing to make girls self conscious about their bodies.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I agree with Jeep. If the wearer is comfortable with nipplage, they everyone else should just deal. It's just a body part. It's how we were built. We shouldn't have to put BandAids on ourselves to make others comfortable. 
    Showing nipples doesn't mean "I want to have sex with everyone who sees me". It just means "I didn't feel like wearing a torture device today."

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file