Straight pieces of hair: what to do?

whatisthiswhatisthis Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi,

Here is my problem: I have type 2C/3A hair. However, I have flat straight pieces at the side of my head underneath the top layer. It's kind of visible and it's bothering me quite a lot. I've only recently decided to leave my hair down in its natural shape (I've been wearing it in a ponytail for years) so I feel very self-conscious about those weird straight parts.

Does anyone have tips for this?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,404Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have straightish pieces on my sides (face-framing pieces). It's tough! What I've recently tried is adding more hard-hold gel to these parts. I put in my hard-hold gel all over my head and scrunch it in really well, until my hair is not dripping wet anymore (I put my gel in my hair when it's still pretty wet). I then take maybe an extra dime-sized dollop of gel and scrunch it into the problem spots. Then I diffuse.

I also try not to get too much leave-in conditioner on those parts. At least in my case, my hair gets straighter when it gets too much moisture, and since my hair is fine, it is easily overmoisturized. If your hair is coarse, it may be straighter in those parts because it is lacking moisture...so you might want to try to squish more conditioner into those areas in the shower, to make sure that they are extra moisturized.

I will also be honest and say that I occasionally touch up straight parts of my hair with a curling wand. My hair does not damage easily, though, so I feel OK doing that.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • VJoyVJoy Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Have you tried twisting and pinning them in place with alligator clips until they dry? This works better for me than finger curls, scrunching or diffusing 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 880Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Pin curling is an option. You can also try isolating those areas while your hair is wet and scrunching it separately or finger coiling.
    Also, @VJoy, I love your hair! Your curl pattern is so similar to mine. I'd love to know what color you use or your color routine for your hair.
  • VJoyVJoy Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited April 22
    BrittanyM said:
     @VJoy, I love your hair! Your curl pattern is so similar to mine. I'd love to know what color you use or your color routine for your hair.
    Thank you! Honestly. My natural hair is now so grey (white as snow in the crown- dark in back. Pic Oct 2016). I was natural for 2 years, but never lost my self consciousness (I was 40 when I decided to quit color and find out what my natural color was) and I found it hard to fight off the brassiness that I got on my ends. I spent a lot of time stripping my hair (weekly!) Which left it lifeless and flat (pic June 2017)
    So I started chemically toning. It lasts longer and seems easier and possibly gentler. That has evolved a bit. I use ion 6.1 dark ash blonde w/20 vol. on roots only. I start in the back (cowlick down) for 15'ish minutes and then add it to the crown roots for 10'sh minutes. I know it's under developing, but it really works for me. If I get brassy from underdeveloping (around the cowlick) I use a  medium ash blonde demi w 15 vol. for abt 5 minutes (or less)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome to CurlTalk, @whatisthis!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 880Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @VJoy thanks! I was hoping to steal your technique but my hair is not naturally as light as yours. Still love the color! It is really beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file