Silly question, but I'm socially awkward...

caresscaress Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hi,
This may seem like an odd question to post on a message board, but I'm going to ask anyway. My mother is retiring soon. Her job is giving her a retirement party this Friday. They contacted me yesterday and invited me and my father.

I was planning to get her a gift and asked her to think about what she wanted to do to celebrate. Then, I get the invite from her job.

Should I present her gift or have something to give to her at the party? I don't have a gift yet, but I've been giving it thought. I thought I had more time. Will my dad and I look bad if we have nothing for her on that day?
type 4a/b

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wouldn't think so. I would personally assume that family members would have a dinner or something to themselves to celebrate. You can either give it to her at the party or wait. No one will think badly of you if you don't give her gift at the party. You can give it to her whenever. It's your relationship with your mother that matters, not the party itself.
  • caresscaress Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you. That's sort of what I was thinking.
    type 4a/b

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would wait.  

You should let her relationship with with the company be the focus of the party.  There will probably be a bunch of speeches and possibly a gift from the company to your mom.

Later you can have a small celebratory party with the 3 (or more) of you, and that is when you should give her your gift.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This is an interesting question.  If it were her b'day, anniversary, etc I would do it at a separate celebration.  A retirement at her office, I think I would give her gift to her there. 
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would assume that the family stuff would be separate, so I would give her any gifts at the family celebration. I think it helps make it more personal.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd do it privately too. If I was one of her colleagues I'd think it a bit odd if family were giving presents at the work do - it's for her co-workers to do their thing.
    3b in South Australia.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Caress!  Congratulations to your mom!  What a milestone. What sort of work is she retiring from? Does she have wonderful retirement plans? 

I would think you could give her your gift privately. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thank you all for feeling more confident that I am in the right track with what I'm thinking.

Thanks, Gretchen! My mom is a manager in the health insurance industry, where she's has spent the majority of her career. She plans to rest first, then travel, participate in some activities at a popular senior center in her area, and attempt to write a book. I'm so excited for her, though I can't believe she's retiring soon.

Thanks again, everyone. My mom is the person I would normally ask a question like this, but obviously, I can't.
    type 4a/b

So happy she is getting ready to enjoy a wonderful next phase of her life after a long and productive career. Her plans sound fantastic. I wish her the very best. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I would wait.  

You should let her relationship with with the company be the focus of the party.  There will probably be a bunch of speeches and possibly a gift from the company to your mom.

Later you can have a small celebratory party with the 3 (or more) of you, and that is when you should give her your gift.
    ditto this. 

And congrats to your mom!  (8 months 11 days and 5 minutes left for me!)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Thanks, Gretchen and jeepcurlygurl! :)
    type 4a/b

Jeep, wow! That's awesome! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file