I am so over makeup names

WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I am so over the names of some make up colors.  I have decided that I will not purchase any colors that have a name that I would have to explain to a 5 year old.  I will not buy "Orgasm" or "Nip Slip" or "Sex on the Peach" .  Granted I am not a big makeup wearer, so no makeup company will miss my money.  In this #MeToo era I am just over these slutty titles, we need strong empowering titles.

Anybody want to join me?
2b, 2c,
High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ditto. And I'm a long time nail polish name hater. Just call it Dark Red!!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a simple gal. Red is red. Pink is pink. The more provocative companies try to get, the more they get in trouble. I think it was Kat von D that had the lipstick underage Red?
    I do particularly enjoy foundation shade names. I very much appreciate my shade porceline which is reminiscent of a toilet. Or ivory which reminds me of slaying elephants. You can only say fair and light so many ways. Haha
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    nip slip!  :D:D:D

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    agreed! I don't wear much makeup either but I won't buy anything with cringe-worthy titles. Re: the #MeToo era, lots of feminists mistaken overly sexual or "slutty" for empowerment. Nah, true empowerment comes from within & encompasses much more than being blatantly sexual or borderline sleazy. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Love this thread!  Totally agree! I don't buy a lot of makeup, but I'm right there with you! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Posts: 103Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Yeeeeessssssss! I've been saying this for years. I like when companies just give their products numbers. Cute names that have something to do with the actual color of the product are one thing, but the ones that are nearly R-rated and don't give any clue to the color are ridiculous.
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I don't really like numbers either because I like names that actually describe the color. It's easier to remember a color I like if it's called Sandy Rose as opposed to 42. hahaha. But even a number is better than some stupid non-descriptive name like Summer Fever. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I had been looking for a red lippie that looked good on me for a long time. I finally found the perfect shade in an Urban Decay lippie. I turned the tube over to see what the lippie name was so I could make sure I got the right box. The name? F-bomb. I know that that is pretty tame compared to other UD stuff, but it makes me ill. When I put makeup on, I want to feel beautiful, and having names like "F-bomb," "Violate," and "Swallow" don't make me feel beautiful. They're ugly names. So now I have nasty names staring back at me from my makeup bag, and it really dampens my mood when I'm getting ready to go out.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 said:
    I had been looking for a red lippie that looked good on me for a long time. I finally found the perfect shade in an Urban Decay lippie. I turned the tube over to see what the lippie name was so I could make sure I got the right box. The name? F-bomb. I know that that is pretty tame compared to other UD stuff, but it makes me ill. When I put makeup on, I want to feel beautiful, and having names like "F-bomb," "Violate," and "Swallow" don't make me feel beautiful. They're ugly names. So now I have nasty names staring back at me from my makeup bag, and it really dampens my mood when I'm getting ready to go out.
    Well said.  But I am glad you found the perfect shade! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Swallow?  :o  :s:D

Clearly, I have not been paying these names enough attn.
    A lot of what I wear is MAC and I kinda like the names. Of the lipsticks at least. But their foundation numbering system is trash.

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just thought of y'all last night. Apparently there's a two faced palette with different provocative names like cleavage, nudity, and a couple of others. I watch Thataylaa on YouTube and she used it in her latest video and commented on the names.
    Swallow?  :o  :s:D

Clearly, I have not been paying these names enough attn.
    A lot of what I wear is MAC and I kinda like the names. Of the lipsticks at least. But their foundation numbering system is trash.
    I am laughing so hard...because I misread the eyeshadow name! It's not "Swallow" but "Shallow." Yikes! Maybe Urban Decay should hire me to make up new names, LOL.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    My Nars blush is called "Orgasm"

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Orgasm by Nars has been around for ages!   I don't pay any attention to the names but if I did, I'd probably find it irksome too.   I mostly want the right shade/formula/
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Orgasm doesn't bother me but there is a charlotte tilsbury lipstick one called 'Walk of Shame'.  Just why?
    Let's come up with some better ones!
    I submit to you: butterface (clear gloss), hemorrhoid (angry purplish red), blue balls (self explanatory).

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am so glad to know I am not the only one that feels this way about these names.
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    hmkenny said:
    Orgasm by Nars has been around for ages!   I don't pay any attention to the names but if I did, I'd probably find it irksome too.   I mostly want the right shade/formula/
    It has, and I've never found anything I like better, in terms of color. I've tried to like a couple of cheaper brands, but can't find the right color. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    hmkenny said:
    It has, and I've never found anything I like better, in terms of color. I've tried to like a couple of cheaper brands, but can't find the right color. 
     I just got my birthday gift from Ulta - it was a sample of the Orgasm blush.  I said I wouldn't buy it, but I didn't it was a gift.  So, (brace yourself, bad pun ahead)  Thanks for the orgasm, Ulta.

2b, 2c,

Boots the UK drugstore has stopped selling it's own makeup with over sexualized names

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6173903/outraged-mum-forces-boots-to-stop-selling-over-sexualised-eyeshadow-palette-with-names-like-milf-foreplay-and-sugar-daddy/

We are not the only ones over the makeup names.
    2b, 2c,

It would be nice if other companies saw this and followed suit.
    Gretchen said:
    hmkenny said:
    I hate it when they get you like that! That's like my F-Bomb lipstick. I absolutely hate the name and would have bought something else if I had been able to find the right color and quality.
    edited May 2018
    Gretchen said:
    hmkenny said:
     I just got my birthday gift from Ulta - it was a sample of the Orgasm blush.  I said I wouldn't buy it, but I didn't it was a gift.  So, (brace yourself, bad pun ahead)  Thanks for the orgasm, Ulta.

Love it! 

So, wait — when's your birthday? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Boots the UK drugstore has stopped selling it's own makeup with over sexualized names

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6173903/outraged-mum-forces-boots-to-stop-selling-over-sexualised-eyeshadow-palette-with-names-like-milf-foreplay-and-sugar-daddy/

We are not the only ones over the makeup names.
    Good for them!  Glad others are outraged!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    Gretchen said:
    hmkenny said:

Love it! 

April.
    2b, 2c,

Gretchen said:
    Gretchen said:
    hmkenny said:

Love it! 

April.
    Hope it was wonderful! My son's, my mom's and my dad's birthdays are all in April!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    Hope it was wonderful! My son's, my mom's and my dad's birthdays are all in April!
    Thank  you it was nice.
    2b, 2c,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file