Getting Volume and curl definition minimal frizz

azaleagalazaleagal Posts: 33Registered Users Curl Neophyte
With my fine, medium density, type 3a curls, I have found recently that I need to use less product in my hair to get more defined curls and more volume.

My latest approach is to co wash or lo poo, condition, rinse out with cool water and scrunch out excess moisture with a microfiber towel. I then use a leave in conditioner as my styler (glycerin free) such as Kinky Curly Knot Today, or As I am leave-in, smooth it on, and then scrunch and dry 50%. I then (Smasters technique) wet my hands and scrunch in some Biotera alcohol free gel or KCCC. Keeping my hands very wet during the application of gel. Then either air dry or diffuse.

My dirty little secret is that I use 2-3 drops of Fantasia Frizz Buster (has silicones) mixed into my leave-in before applying to my hair. I have tried endlessly to go cone free. I have used every CG approved remedy for frizz and nothing works for me but cones. 

My philosophy is that it is no big deal since I will remove any potential cone build up by washing with lo poo once a week and use a clarifying shampoo if necessary monthly. 

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this method? I have tried tons of curling creams, and they weigh my hair down, even when using the lightest kind and smallest amount, since my hair is so fine. Would love to get other opinions/experiences on this :) 

3a fine texture

Co Wash: As I am coconut cowash. Palmer coconut moisturizing shampoo
Styling: KCCC, Devacurl Supercream, Jane Carter curl cream, Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie, Biotera gel, KCKT.

Comments

• curlymochagirlcurlymochagirl Posts: 75Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting thought on the silicones. I’ve been CG for awhile and keep wondering if I need to go back due to frizz.
    Still trying to figure it all out.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you should let your hair be your guide. If this regime works then why not? At least if your hair starts responding to the cones you will know what to do. Back in the day most of us didn't know why was causing our issues and we weren't really taking care of our hair properly.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Even curl keeper original? Its the only styler i need to use in the summer. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • azaleagalazaleagal Posts: 33Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even curl keeper original? Its the only styler i need to use in the summer. 
    Savagegirl, Isn't it full of glycerin, I should try it, but glycerin in the humidity makes my hair really frizzy!
    3a fine texture

Co Wash: As I am coconut cowash. Palmer coconut moisturizing shampoo
    Styling: KCCC, Devacurl Supercream, Jane Carter curl cream, Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie, Biotera gel, KCKT.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It has glycerin, yeah. For some reason glycerin and other humectants work great in my hair, mega spirals and volume. Curl keeper just keeps everything somewhat sensible for me. 

What about kinky curly custard? It is aloe based and hard hold
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file