I messed up at work

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
edited April 2018 in Non-hair discussion
So i was assigned this project at work which had a deadline. For various reasons, time got away from me & i was only able to start the assignment right before it was due. I rushed & didn't really proof my work & there were typos in it. I gave it to my supervisor & one of the end users to proof but they didn't catch any mistakes. I had the job printed & several typos were spotted. The end user was very disappointed in my work & told my supervisor. I have to speak with the end user on Monday, discuss all of her issues & redo the work. (There were other complaints beyond the typos!!) I feel like total crap. If anything, I'm criticized for having a crap attitude at work; but the quality of work i produce is usually very good. This situation is ruining my entire wknd. The main end user is a total witch & will undoubtedly be nasty & smug with me when i call her Monday. I'm really dreading this & don't know what to do. I rushed thru the job & didn't proof. That's the truth & only explanation i can give for the typos. The other complaints she has...idk. i don't think she was clear in her expectations. But either way, i look like an incompetent tool so there is no way i can really defend myself. How am i supposed to handle this? I feel awful & want to just fall into a hole in the ground & never come back.

Comments

• cailincailin Posts: 928Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just own it. Take your lumps and it's over. Like ripping off a band-aid. If you have to revise your work thats the time to blow the doors off the project and remind everyone how fantabulous you are. 
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    So someone else proofed your work & found no mistakes?  Will they also be held accountable?  I also agree that all you can do is own it.  I had a friend who would say to me when I would get stressed about something that it is what it is & this to shall pass.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would show up to work on Monday with the fixes done, and some extra pizzaz.  That shows effort on your part.  Don't just show up without making an effort.  Other than that take your lumps.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    spider, this isn't how you usually do things, it's a blip. 'fess up, and then move on. it's not easy dealing with difficult clients.

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited April 2018
    Thanks, guys! I fixed the typos and called the main end user this morning. She wasn't there. So I left a short vm; I apologized for my mistakes and said i'd like to try to get together with her briefly today or tomorrow to get clarification so I could revise. I still haven't heard back. I checked her availability thru her Outlook calendar and it looks like the only time she is free this week is today from 2-2:30. So I guess I will take that walk of shame down to her office and see if I can speak to her. I don't want to come across either as groveling or, conversely, as not really giving a damn. Coworkers have told me she is a bully and quite mean. 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How did it go? Hopefully it wasn't too bad. I would respect someone if they told me the truth and accepted the mistakes.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I missed this whole thing!  Dying to know how it turned out!  Usually apologizing and showing contrition helps smooth things out, painful as it is. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I'm still waiting also! She's been out. She did return my vm with an email and was very friendly. So far....

edited June 2018
    So this again. I fixed the typos but then the end user told me she wanted to go in a different direction w the project. So i met again with her & several other end users. She told me what changes they wanted. They were quite drastic & were nothing i could have imagined based on the first assignment. So i said ok. I did what they asked & emailed it to my supervisor & the end users. They said it was good but for various reasons that, too, would not work. And i was given a wholly new assignment. I did that. I emailed that also to my supervisor & the end users. They said it was good; they were waiting on one last file. Asap they would send me the last file & it should be good to go. So i eventually received the final file (after prompting them twice), i completed everything & emailed it to my supervisor the end users. All ahead of schedule. 

Then nothing.

Then the deadline passed & still nothing.

Yesterday, I heard from a friend that the main end user had convened a mtg of her underlings & said i had done a very disappointing job, she had been waiting for something from me for months & finally received this crap, that decisions I had made in doing the work were inappropriate. Nobody liked the final file I had to include but she made it seem like it had been my idea to add it and that I had created it when, in fact, another of the end users created it & told me it needed to be included. So they all sat around & dogged me & criticized my work & ripped me apart. My friend from that dept told me all of this but made me promise not to mention any of this information had come from her.

So today i was talking to my supervisor & told her i was angry about how all of that had gone down & did not wish to ever work with that group again. And my supervisor, totally unaware of what my friend had told me yesterday, said yeah............the main end user had filed a complaint against me w the deputy director, saying basically that my work was horrible. And the deputy director had contacted my supervisor earlier in the week asking like WTF happened?? My supervisor had been dreading having this conversation with me. So my supervisor & i talked about it, i drew her attn back to the emails wherein the end user said everything looked good (after moving the goal post several times) & my supervisor said yes, the end user was 90% in the wrong, in her opinion. And that we will write a response to the complaint next week. 

Well, i am livid! That smug, spineless **** set me up & is now feeding me to the dogs. I'm glad i have the support of my supervisor (all 90%) of it. But I'm incensed that i have to endure this bull ****. I really hope i don't have to meet with them in person bc i KNOW i will completely lose my **** on these ppl. Like i am legitimately afraid of how i will respond. This woman abused my time for months, dragging me around every which way when she had no idea what type of product she wanted. She then lied to me in several occasions when I'd emailed her drafts, saying she was happy with it. She then threw me head first under the speeding bus & mocked, criticized & professionally undermined me to my colleagues during their little stupid, petty mtg. Then she went behind my back & complained to the deputy director, presumably to have me disciplined (or fired??).

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The good news is that you kept all that documentation and can prove your side.  There is always at least one of those people in every organization.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    edited June 2018
    The good news is that you kept all that documentation and can prove your side.  There is always at least one of those people in every organization.
    Really? You've heard of crap like this happening? I don't understand why!?

Eta - way back when i first started this thread i just had a rotten feeling about this. Looking back, honestly, i think that might have been why i had delayed working on it for so long & why i felt the need to reach out for support here. I rarely discuss work bc most of it comes & goes & i don't give it a second thought, even if it's something unpleasant. But this set off all kinds of alarms. I wish i would have been able to articulate and/or understand this feeling of dread & doom. I am notoriously bad at following my "intuition." I wish i could develop that skill so i could, in the future, head these disasters right off at the pass. (That goes for problematic, subpar men on dating sites, as well!)

SL, that sounds horrible.  Does this person have something against you?  It is so wrong to mess with someone's job.  It does sound like she was either setting you up or covering her butt.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    SL, that sounds horrible.  Does this person have something against you?  It is so wrong to mess with someone's job.  It does sound like she was either setting you up or covering her butt.  
    Could definitely be covering! Seems like she had no idea what you wanted the end product to look like. She was expecting me to read her mind. And when the group had objections to the final product, she just blamed me.

Honestly, I'd never spoken to this woman before. Vaguely knew who she was. I'm persona non grata tho bc she's an HR manager & i have an open, active Workers Comp case. 

I'm just so hurt by this. And worrying about it now is ruining my whole wknd.

I feel so bad for you.  You have so much going on in your life & you don't need this.  I was working a p/t office job a year ago.  I only worked from noon to 2pm, so the f/t woman could have a lunch break.  When I would 1st come in I would have to pick up the mail & distribute to the tenants cubby holes.  There were times when the f/t woman would already have it done, becuz she was bored.  My boss started coming to me about the mail being put in the wrong cubbies.  We also had to schedule appointments for some of the tenants.  Some of these appointments would be messed up.  Either on the wrong date or time or not scheduled at all.  I got suspicious that she was screwing up & I was being blamed.  I got a small pocket notebook & I started writing down when she did the mail & the scheduling I was doing.  BING GO!  One day the boss came to me in front of the f/t woman & once again reprimanded me on the mail.  I & the f/t both knew she had done the mail.  She did not say a word.  I kept staring at her expecting her to speak up, but she didn't.  It was time for me to leave, so I told her I was tired of being thrown under the bus for her mistakes.  I didn't go back.  
    From Michael Berg:

I take it the people complaining are clients? I recently had an infuriating experience at work. I am a (much despised) regulator. I was working on a site, trying to get them compliant. They mumbled and groaned but said they would do it. Then one day, this company's boss went to the top of my government entity (my boss's boss's boss) and said that because of me, they were thinking of moving the company. This guy had a meeting that basically said that I was overbearing and expecting too much of them to comply. Obviously, I was questioned what the heck did I do to make an entire company think about spending millions of dollars to relocate (absurd when you think about it). They did have to comply, but they complained multiple times about me (I have never had anyone complain about me because I am incredibly lenient). I finally got them compliant and as I was leaving for the last time, the dude I had been working said he'd see me on their upcoming site/project. I said "no, you won't." What he doesn't know is that the inspector I will assign to his site is a bit of a jerk (I like him but he is a jerk to some of his sites) and is overbearing and very seldom lenient. That company was so unprofessional that I will never work with them again and they deserve whatever they get. Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold. Thanks for listening to me unload. I just read your story and reminded me of what I had just went through. Complaints from people are sometimes to try to get things for free or get by with stuff.
    BrittanyM, I guess you didn't know you had such power.  LOL!!!  I have another story.  I was working at Chase Bank.  We worked on a base salary, plus overtime, & a commission.  A friend of mine from a previous job was working with me.  He told me that she didn't have a lot of education & not good on computers, so she needed to make sure the right people liked her.  It's called brown nosing.  It was pretty bad.  She was being fed accounts that were being taken away from the others.  She was out for 6 weeks from a surgery & did better & made more money than the rest of us.  Definitely, suspicious.  This was frustrating enough, but then she started talking other employees down to the higher ups.  I found out she had told our manager that I didn't like her.  0) She was the one who was complaining to me about the manager.  I had a meeting with the manager & supervisor & they took her side.  4 of us left becuz of the situation.  She is still there.  The worse is that I helped her get the job & helped train her on the computers.  
    From Michael Berg:

Ugh. When I (briefly) worked in the private sector in college, there was a woman like that. Incompetent and lazy as hell, but she had the company bosses thinking she was the best thing since sliced bread. Worked at another place with a woman who was the same way. I never understood how managers couldn't see that she didn't work yet was untouchable and immune to criticism.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SL, Hope your weekend went ok.  Some people just can't take responsibility for their shortcomings. Once she realized she didn't have that "wow" project, she set out to blame anyone but herself and "her" team.  That was you.  You've got your documentation.  You know that you came back strong and presented a solid product based upon the resources you were given.  Got the initial feedback that is was "good".  It's not your fault that you couldn't make a 5 tier wedding cake out of a Duncan Hines box.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file