Started the CG method in January and my hair feels so thin!! :(

AnekillaAnekilla Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello there!

I started my CG journey at the beginning of this year and I have felt a huge difference in my hair that is not making me that happy.

When I put my hair up on a bun or a ponytail is when I feel the huge difference: all the hair together feels so little and has almost no texture!!! Since I stopped using sulfates, silicones and all that "bad stuff", I am feeling my hair has become so thin. I am not experiencing more shedding than normal, this is just as always was.

I was wondering if this is because my hair finaly got rid of all the silicones and evil agents? Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to bring my medium/thick hair back?

I am really freaking out about this :(

Thanks!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,962Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried clarifying? Even CG-approved products build up on the hair and need to be removed with a stronger cleansing agent. DevaCurl makes something called Buildup Buster (if you want to stay CG approved) that might be helpful for you. Many of us on the forum use a sulfate cleanser every now and then to strip off the build-up. If you have been co-washing exclusively, a sulfate-free shampoo might do the trick.

Kinky-Curly Come Clean is a clarifying shampoo with C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which is great for stripping off build-up. The shampoo is too harsh to use every day, IMO, but it works great every now and then to clean off the gunk.

It might also be the products you are using for your hair. Some people have problems with shea butter, for example. Or some people have problems with protein-laden products. These things are discovered through trial and error, which can at times be frustrating.

It could also be that one of your non-CG-approved products was giving your hair some texture, and you need to find an equivalent product that is CG approved. Silicones don't generally give the hair texture--I would in fact say they do the opposite, make the hair smooth and slick--so you should be able to find something without silicones that gives your hair extra texture. Maybe try a texturizing paste? I used to use Innersense Whipped Creme texturizer and really liked it. There are also some Living Proof products (the Full line) that are supposed to make the hair feel thicker.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 588Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It is possible that you had build up and are experiencing your hair in its true state.  As @Therese1 mentioned there are texturizers that will give your hair the feeling of more bulk.  I believe all the Living Proof products are CG.  I have been using the Restore Line and am very happy with it.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • Aitana24Aitana24 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Maybe a protein treatment will help with the strength and texture. Maybe it has too much moisture and that's why it feels "texture-less". Give it time. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,869Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome, @Anekilla!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AnekillaAnekilla Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you @Therese1, @WavyKfromNJ, @Aitana24 and @Gretchen!!!!

It all makes sense to me!! I might have had build up and I didn't even know what that was...

But I agree with @Aitana24 that my hair must be "over moisturized". Every week when I deep condition my hair feels so soft and in some parts is almost straight!!!

I am going to buy a protein treatment (I have never done this before). Do you have any product reccomendation for this? I have heard of the Aphogee 2 step treatment, which is not CG approved but everyone says it is worth it if you use it once a month maximum.

Thank you!
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I agree with the protein treatment recommendations. i have the same problem, my hair becomes easily overmoisturised and loses body. 
    I've been trying out the Bounce Curl light creme gel. Although I'm not sure what I think yet, the protein in the gel definitely plumps up my curls and gives the impression of fuller hair. 

Shampoo: Alaffia Beautiful Curls (once a month) 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Devacurl OneC
    LI: Sheamoisture curl & style milk 
    Stylers: Devacurl Supercream, aloe or flaxseed gel, MopTop Curly Custard 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 588Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Anekilla said:
    Thank you @Therese1, @WavyKfromNJ, @Aitana24 and @Gretchen!!!!

It all makes sense to me!! I might have had build up and I didn't even know what that was...

But I agree with @Aitana24 that my hair must be "over moisturized". Every week when I deep condition my hair feels so soft and in some parts is almost straight!!!

I am going to buy a protein treatment (I have never done this before). Do you have any product reccomendation for this? I have heard of the Aphogee 2 step treatment, which is not CG approved but everyone says it is worth it if you use it once a month maximum.

Thank you!
    I like Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF) you can buy a small bottle at Sally Beauty for about $2.00.  It is an inexpensive way to find out if your hair likes protein.  You mix it in a spray bottle and spritz it in your hair.  

A slightly more complicated but inexpensive treatment is a gelatin treatment.
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
    You don't need the gum (thickener).  There are several versions of the recipe on the blog.  You can usually find unflavored gelatin in the baking aisle of the grocery store.  If you are vegan/vegetarian this will not be an option for you.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse

I like Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF) you can buy a small bottle at Sally Beauty for about $2.00.  It is an inexpensive way to find out if your hair likes protein.  You mix it in a spray bottle and spritz it in your hair.  

A slightly more complicated but inexpensive treatment is a gelatin treatment.
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
    You don't need the gum (thickener).  There are several versions of the recipe on the blog.  You can usually find unflavored gelatin in the baking aisle of the grocery store.  If you are vegan/vegetarian this will not be an option for you.
    Wow, I will try this out!! Thank you!
    CurlyD24 said:
    I agree with the protein treatment recommendations. i have the same problem, my hair becomes easily overmoisturised and loses body. 
    I've been trying out the Bounce Curl light creme gel. Although I'm not sure what I think yet, the protein in the gel definitely plumps up my curls and gives the impression of fuller hair. 

I´m dying to try out this gel... I see it everywhere on the internet. The problem is that I live in Brazil and I don´t have (cheap) access to it but I will get is as soon as I have the chance!
    Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file