Scrunching causes frizz?

MarleneCbMarleneCb Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited April 16 in Information for Newbies
So, I've been trying to go natural and have used all sulfate, silicone free products for about 2 and a half months now. No heat. The process I do is more or less like this: Shampoo then rinse out - condition - leave in for a few mins - rinse some out - detangle with wide tooth comb while under running cold water - scrunch a little (at this point I already start to see some light frizz) - turn water off - put on my curl enhancing smoothie while scrunching and twirling some clumps (more frizz) - hop out of the shower, hair still soaking wet - spray on some leave in conditioner - scrunch a bit of gel in (MOORE WET FRIZZ) - Then I plop and leave it on for a while... Since my hair starts getting frizzy while still wet it is no surprise that it'll be twice as frizzy when dry. After plopping I just let it air dry because if I dare diffuse it just becomes a-whole-nother mess! 

*Update: My hair is, I believe, medium to low porosity. It tends to be pretty dry, split ends are common. Very thick and coarse. I have been using products like Maui and Shea Moisture. 

Best Answer

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    MarleneCb said:
    I think my hair is low porosity, it takes a long time to dry. I dont know if it has protein overload as I don't know how to tell that. It's naturally very dry and I usually have quite a bit of split ends. Lately it's been very shiny though, but not greasy... the hair just shines which I thought was because it was healthy. It can be quite stiff sometimes too, and I can't do the pinapple thing to sleep because in the morning it just sticks up and I won't come back down.. Does this sound like too much protein?
    The shine usually indicates Low Porosity hair.  

Here is a helpful post about moisture/protein balance and how to tell what you need:
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

If you do have low porosity hair it needs some extra TLC when you need moisture, since the cuticle blocks the moisture:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

It doesn't matter if you have high or low porosity hair you should have a clarifying shampoo in your routine.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 841Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Is this a somewhat new issue? From personal experience, I only experienced wet frizz when I had product build up. Even though you are silicone free, you may have had a sneaky one or you can still experience product building. I suggest a sulfate clarifying shampoo followed by your most moisturizing deep conditioner. A sulfate every once in a while isn't too harsh. Try that. Another tip is to be gentle while scrunching. Best of luck!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Tell us more about your hair is it high or medium or low porosity?
    What is the density?
    Is your hair fine or course or medium?

What products do you use and when do you apply them?
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,387Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I have this issue, it is either because of product build-up or because I have a bit too much protein (I have protein-sensitive, low-porosity hair). If the issue is build-up, a clarifying shampoo is required, as @BrittanyM mentioned. If the frizz is from too much protein, then I would suggest doing a deep conditioning with a protein-free conditioner (let it sit on the hair for 30 mins.) and then stay away from protein-containing products for a couple of weeks. You should see immediate improvement after the deep conditioning, but it might take a couple of weeks for the excess protein to wear off.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MarleneCbMarleneCb Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I think my hair is low porosity, it takes a long time to dry. I dont know if it has protein overload as I don't know how to tell that. It's naturally very dry and I usually have quite a bit of split ends. Lately it's been very shiny though, but not greasy... the hair just shines which I thought was because it was healthy. It can be quite stiff sometimes too, and I can't do the pinapple thing to sleep because in the morning it just sticks up and I won't come back down.. Does this sound like too much protein?
  • MarleneCbMarleneCb Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    MarleneCb said:

Here is a helpful post about moisture/protein balance and how to tell what you need:

If you do have low porosity hair it needs some extra TLC when you need moisture, since the cuticle blocks the moisture:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

It doesn't matter if you have high or low porosity hair you should have a clarifying shampoo in your routine.
    Do you have any clarifying shampoos you would recommend? 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    MarleneCb said:
    MarleneCb said:

Do you have any clarifying shampoos you would recommend? 
    I usually use either Elucense Volume Clarifying Shampoo or Kinky Curly Come Clean.  I can't say I prefer one over the other, and there are lots out there
    https://shop.naturallycurly.com/shampoos/clarifying-shampoos/
    2b, 2c,

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,657Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi @MarleneCb!  Welcome to CurlTalk!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,387Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    For clarifying, I like the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo. It is a very simple sulfate shampoo.

As far as how your hair reacts to protein, that's something that you just have to figure out through trial and error. Regardless, if your hair is naturally dry and low porosity, deep conditioning would be very helpful for you. If you want to find out if your hair is protein sensitive, I would do a deep conditioning with a protein-free condish and then stay away from protein-containing products for a week or so and see how your hair behaves. Then add a protein-containing product back in and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • coracat5coracat5 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem - but I thought my hair was high porosity because of the fact that it frizzes so much. And i did the strand test and it felt like medium/high porosity? 

I used devacurl light defining gel and omg it frizzed so badly. Only thing that keeps it from frizzing kinda are creams. Is that a low porosity thing then? I was staying away from sulfate but was shampooing with devacurl low-poo. 

Humidity is coming into my town too and I am scared :( Only thing that helped with frizz was keratin treatment but I want to be natural too! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file