How to get definition that lasts?

hquinn31hquinn31 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
edited April 2018 in Hair Type 3
Hey guys! So I’ve just recently decided to start wearing my hair natural (aka stop curling/straightening) and my hair is about a 2C/3A, depending on the day. It’s also pretty fine, medium porosity. My stylist did my hair about a week or so ago and it looked great, and the curls actually held. She said she used the bumble and bumble hair cream and some mousse. But now I’ve washed my hair again and I can’t seem to get it back to how it was? I’m using the B&B creme and my hair will look good immediately after styling, but the definition never lasts and I’m back to a frizzy puffy mess by the end of the day, or if I sleep on it (even in a pineapple or loose pony.) I’m thinking I might need something with more hold? I thought about the Devacurl ultra defining gel or adding a mousse, but I wanted to get some second opinions first! Thanks!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    The issue is probably the amount you're using and how it's applied. I have to use an absurd amount of gel to get definition that lasts. I mean, handfuls and I have fine, thin hair. I was so hesitant to use that much, but it works.

Also, how did she apply it? There really is a difference between scrunching, raking and praying hands in terms of results. And, did she get your hair super dry before she touched it again? If I want curls that last and don't fall into limp fluff, I absolutely, 100% cannot touch it before it's dry. That means I commute with some seriously crunchy hair (because I am not waking up half an hour earlier to dry it completely before I leave) and SOTC when I get to work and it's all perfect and it lasts.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • hquinn31hquinn31 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    edited April 2018
    @curlyamaryllis my worry with using a lot of product is that I’ll weigh my hair down, since it’s so fine. When I got it styled at the salon she only styled it wet and told me to do the same. She raked the product through, scrunched, then diffused. 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Generally fine hair likes protein.  Without knowing your hair, it is hard to tell if it will work.  Think of protein giving your hair muscle to hold the curl.

An easy way to start is Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF).  You can get a small bottle at Sally Beauty for about $2.00.  You mix it with water in a spray bottle and spritz it in your hair.  To start you may want to dilute the mixture more than suggested.  If your hair likes protein you will need to add it to your hair regularly.  It is not a permanent fix.  You will also need to figure out your own schedule, what works for one curly will not necessarily work for another.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I would try what @curlyamaryllis suggested, using more product. I have very fine hair that is barely shoulder length, and I need two quarter-sized amounts of a thick gel for my hair. With hair as long as yours, you will probably need quite a bit of product. I know you are concerned that it will weigh your hair down, but you won't know for sure unless you try. It can be really surprising sometimes seeing how much product curly hair can need.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file