Sealing oils for 2B/2C high porosity super long hair

r0sesr0ses Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

What are your favourite oils? 

Personally my favourite for preshampoo is avacado oil. 

Coconut oil and olive oil are okay. But for some reason my hair prefers avocado oil the most. 

I’m trying to figure out which sealing oil would be best for me. So I was hoping to ask which ones are your favourites and why? 

I have Argan Oil and personally I think it’s too light for my hair. I have high porosity hair and my hair tends to be very dry and frizzy and Argan Oil just doesn’t cut it. (Love Argan Oil for my skin though.) 

Today I purchased jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. Looking forward to trying them both. 

I also hear a lot about grape seed oil so I’m curious about that. 

A friend who has very similar hair to mine,in both curl pattern and porosity, uses a mix of coconut oil and Jamaican Black Castor Oil. But I’m personally not a huge fan of coconut oil in my hair. 

So, what are your favourite sealing oils/ “leave in” type oils for combatting frizz and dryness, and why? 🙂 

My hair is somewhere between 2B and 2C. It’s a frizzy dry mess by day 2 lol, I’m new to this journey. And it’s also extremely long (down to my butt.) thanks for your input, 

Best Answer

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I have super porous hair and I like JBCO and avacado oil for sealing. I use a 50-50 mix in the Winter and in the Summer a 75 (avacado)/ 25 mix.

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Here is a blog post about which oils seal and which ones soak into your hair

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

That blog has several articles about oil in hair
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would LOVE to see your super long 2B hair. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with that length and curl type since going CG.  
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Kait87Kait87 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I personally have very thick and frizzy type 2c/3a hair and I LOVE the Camille Rose Ultimate Hair Growth Serum. Technically not a hair oil, but the first 6 ingredients are oils so I use it as one in my LOC wash and go and a small amount daily in between wash days as a moisturizer and to help with the frizz. A little goes a long way and it does not have caster oil, which I'm allergic to. It does have coconut oil in it, but it's the 3rd oil listed. I was also able to pick it up at Target which I love.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi @Kait87!  Welcome to CurlTalk!  It's nice to be able to get good products at a nearby store, isn't it? I'm going to have to check into that particular product; I haven't used it!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • VJoyVJoy Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    My hair hates oils, except vit E. And what I mean by that is my hair gets dry and fragile and weighed down with oils. I also get flash drying. I hope your hair is less finicky.  But. If you find that your hair is like mine, try sleeping with vitamin E once a week. Garner Whole Blends Legendary Olive Leave in (yes. I know it has oils. This is another 'exception') , and diluted CeraVe (seriously)  are regular go to's for me. Also. My hair likes Aloe. But I have to be careful with my humectants . Most feel great at 9am and then fail me throughout the day depending on humidity level. I live in the Midwest . We have a lot of humidity. But it can also be windy and dry. I am in and out of my vehicle and office buildings all day. So even if it's humid outside, it's probably dry inside. Hot. Cold. Hot. Cold. The point is. There can be so many variables and what works for one may not work for another, but maybe.. just maybe.. my regimen MIGHT help you. Good luck! ✌

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file