Question about my Low Porosity curls

AldroAldro Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I consider myself a bit of a 2C but mostly 3A type with low porosity and medium density. I use Petal Fresh shampoo and conditioner, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and an alcohol-free gel. My hair dries up nicely, but after a while it does get frizzier and some curls start to loose definition. I recently started using Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in conditioner and I've noticed that lately, I am losing more hair than usual. I did another porosity test and my hair clearly floats. I'm kind of at a loss at what products to turn to. What do y'all use? I just found out about Shea Moisture Low Porosity Leave-In Detangler, does anyone here have experience with this product?

For now, I am cutting the Curls Leave-In from my routine and see what happens. But I am still looking for my holy grail product(s), so any suggestions/tips/etc are greatly appreciated! :)
2C/3A | Medium Hair | Medium Density | Low Porosity | Medium elasticity

Shampoo: Petal Fresh, Urtekram, Zarqa
Conditioner: Petal Fresh, Urtekram
Leave-in: Blueberry Bliss, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Styler: Jessicurl Spiralicious

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,747Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'm a 3A and I love Curl Keeper

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,629Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure why Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie is so popular.  I've never heard of anyone being happy with it.  Why don't you cut that out and try something else, something with no shea butter in it.  Shea butter has a tendency to build up on the hair, so you might try a clarifying shampoo too. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • AldroAldro Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    I'm not sure why Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie is so popular.  I've never heard of anyone being happy with it.  Why don't you cut that out and try something else, something with no shea butter in it.  Shea butter has a tendency to build up on the hair, so you might try a clarifying shampoo too. 
    I've actually been thinking about doing just that, but I'm still debating what else to try. I've read good things about Kinky Curly Knot Today and it's one of the few common products that's also available in my area. Do you have any experience with it?

Aldro said:
    Guide 65 said:
    I've actually been thinking about doing just that, but I'm still debating what else to try. I've read good things about Kinky Curly Knot Today and it's one of the few common products that's also available in my area. Do you have any experience with it?
    What kind of a product are you looking for?  I'm not exactly sure what the Smoothie is - is it a curl cream?  A conditioner?  

I have tried the KCKT.  It's a very good detangler.  I don't find it to be very moisturizing though.  And although it feels light in my hand, it feels pretty heavy in my hair.  It does nothing to encourage my hair to curl.

What country are you in?  We may be able to make some recommendations available to you.
    Current products:
  • AldroAldro Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Aldro said:
    Guide 65 said:
    What kind of a product are you looking for?  I'm not exactly sure what the Smoothie is - is it a curl cream?  A conditioner?  

I have tried the KCKT.  It's a very good detangler.  I don't find it to be very moisturizing though.  And although it feels light in my hand, it feels pretty heavy in my hair.  It does nothing to encourage my hair to curl.

What country are you in?  We may be able to make some recommendations available to you.
    The Smoothie is a curl cream. I wouldn't say it does absolutely nothing for my hair, but I'm not getting the results some Smoothie users are getting. 

I guess I'm looking for something that properly moisturizes my curls, because my hair is very prone to frizz. I'd also like something that gives my curls definition and hold. My curls tend to look great when they're damp, but once my hair is completely dry, it looses definition and starts to frizz. 

I'm in The Netherlands. A lot of products are available online, but plenty of products that I read about here aren't. I'm not in a position to order from Amazon, but there are a couple of webshops that offer quite a few brands. 

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This may help

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

It is a really good article about low porosity & moisture.  It may help guide you on which ingredients to look for.  

The whole blog is really good, I suggest reading the whole thing.  I like the idea, that it suggests ingredients, so that you can look for local products.  There are also recipes for things to try at home.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    A good rinse out conditioner, and a good deep conditioner, are the best things to moisturize your hair.  A curl cream is a styling product.  It will help enhance your curls, it will provide some definition, it might give some hold, but their primary purpose is not to moisturize. 

For frizz control and hold, gel is typically the best product.  Or you could try a curl cream with a gel on top. 

I've heard some really good things about Trepadora.  It's a European product - I don't know if that's easy for you to get.  It's a higher end salon type product, from what I understand.  Not cheap, but I often find better quality products work better for me. 

Deva Curl - can  you get that?  From that line, I can recommend the One Condition (the original formula).  You can use this as a rinse out conditioner and a leave in conditioner.  B'Leave In is a curl enhancer.  It's very moisturizing (but still a styling product, not a true moisturizer).  Ultra Defining Gel is pretty good. 

I think all Shea Moisture is overrated.  Lately it seems like everyone who posts about hair problems is using Shea Moisture, especially that smoothie that you have.  It's easily available in the US and relatively inexpensive, so it's popular.  But maybe not the best choice for fine wavy hair.
    Current products:
  • keepingitcurlykeepingitcurly Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I KCKT every day. It’s the closest thing to a holy grail product in my routine. I apply it while my hair is still dripping wet in the shower and currently follow it with the Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz. I agree that Shea Moisture isn’t worth the low cost/wise availability.
    Low porosity 2C/3A/3B curls
    Co-wash: EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Co-wash
    Conditioner: Honest Conditioner
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Still trying to figure out my best routine....
    Styling products:
    Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file