Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Next day isn't working- tips

M. Le FayM. Le Fay Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Novice
Hi everyone!
I recently bought the She Moisture Enhancing Smoothie and I was really excited about that because everybody talks wonders about the product. Unfortunately it isn't working for me. It works fine in the washing day but the next day may hair is limp with lifeless, undefined curls, without volume and feeling greasy like I haven't washed it for days. I've been trying really hard for this product to work but I really don't know how. 
My hair is fine, low porosity, 3a with a mix of 3b but with the smoothie it kinda looks like a 2c in the top layer.
Can someone give me some tips to make it work?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Protein may help give your hair the muscle it needs to hold the curl, but in reality it is probably not the right product for you.

You may have buildup, so try it again after clarifying.  You could also try to find a lighter product to mix with it, that may get you second day hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• M. Le FayM. Le Fay Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Novice
    @WavyKfromNJ thank you! I already tried clarifying with the same results. I think I'll have to accept the sad true that this is just not the right product for my hair.... :(:(
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    Hey there ! 

I had the same problem with this product. I used it for about a year and a half and it worked great for me. Since the beginning of this year it has made my hair look nice for a couple hours, but then my hair starts looking both greasy and dry at the same time. I would touch my hair and feel all of the shea butter and oil just sitting there. 
    I think this product can be too heavy for low porosity hair :neutral:
    I also suspect a formula change.
    The milk works well as a leave-in though! But only on very wet hair and I have to add a bit of water to it. You could try that :smile:
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried using only a tiny bit, like the size of your fingertip? Some people report better results by using extremely small amounts of this product.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    same here. I read all the rage about that product but it didn't work on mine...made my hair greasy and frizzy...even on wash day. Anyway, curly hair maintenance is largely trial & error. After 4+ years of going natural, I finally found my HG routine. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

You're right @CatitudeBoo our bathrooms are tiny labs! ahahah I've been natural all my life with the occasional straightening when I want to do a different hairstyle for weddings and such, that doesn't work on curls. But only recently I've been trying to commit to the curly girl method. And is so much wooork!! Hair type, porosity, density, weather conditions in your area then products no sulphates, silicones, drying alcohol, sometimes protein sensitivity. A lot to keep on track! And then someone comes and say :" Oh! Your hair is so nice! I wish I had curly hair. You just get out of bed and you're done!" and I'm like: really???!!   -.-  -.-  -.-
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    M. Le Fay said:
    :" Oh! Your hair is so nice! I wish I had curly hair. You just get out of bed and you're done!" and I'm like: really???!!   -.-  -.-  -.-
    LOL! Yeah, right! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Btw since we're here! Like I said I'm trying to follow the CG method and I'm searching for new products. Between shea moisture jamaican black castor oil leave and shea moisture coconut & hibiscus milk can you tell which one you think is better to fine, low porosity 3a/3b hair?
    Sorry if I'm being so persistent with this topic but I live in Portugal and here is really difficult to find curly products without cones, sulfates and so one. I'm need to order then online and it gets really expensive to order one just to try and then it doesn't work.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    This website has some recipes
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

I think she has them scattered around her website, so you may be able to make something at home. 
    Have you checked the swap board to see if there are other curlies in Portugal, you may be able to do a product swap or get ideas of things to try.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    M. Le Fay said:
    Btw since we're here! Like I said I'm trying to follow the CG method and I'm searching for new products. Between shea moisture jamaican black castor oil leave and shea moisture coconut & hibiscus milk can you tell which one you think is better to fine, low porosity 3a/3b hair?
    I actually don't think Shea Moisture of any kind is very good for fine hair.  Some people must like it since it's so popular, but the people who come in here having problems with their hair - most them seem to be using Shea Moisture.  Shea butter can build up on the hair very easily, and it's very heavy and can weigh down your hair.  So fine hair and shea butter just doesn't sound like it'll work.  And of course Shea Moisture is full of shea butter.

I have no idea what brands might be available to you.  Maybe Deva Curl?  Not everyone likes it, but it is a very good line for curls of all kind.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SublimeamigaSublimeamiga Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    edited June 2018
    I have had this product for about a year too and although I have tried to use less or water it down, I am not able to use it without the same poor results. I think I have similar hair too, it's thin and high porosity! Maybe it just weighs it down and isn't the right product for us.
    Type: 3B with some 3A
    Density: Low
    Porosity: High
    Thickness: Fine
    Products: Shea Moisture 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file