SM 100% coconut oil and refreshing 2nd day hair?

faithiebee1990faithiebee1990 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited April 10 in Hair Type 2
Sooo I'm not new but I managed to lock myself out of my other account so I had to make a new one lol

Has anyone used it the SM 100% virgin coconut oil line and liked it? I'm worried it will be too greasy but it smells like heaven so I really want to try it. I'm currently using SM shea butter shampoo and conditioner. I really like it but I'm looking to try something else. I just moved to a drier climate from a humid climate and I'm still learning what my hair likes now that I've moved. 

I'm also still having a ton of issues with massive tangles and trying to refresh 2nd day hair. I know it's not CGM, but I've been spraying my hair down with water and then with a detangling spray. Then I detangle with a wide tooth comb. After that I add a little more gel and scrunch. Then I let it air dry.  If I don't, it's really hard to detangle in the shower. It seems moisturized enough. It's soft and not frizzy. Cowashes make my hair too oily so I've stopped using them. Maybe I should try again? Why is it so tangly? 
2a/b fine strands but medium density hair. medium-high porosity? Colorado wavy trying to navigate my way through a new dry climate. 

current products:
SM raw shea butter shampoo and conditioner 
SM coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk 
Maui Moisture heal and hydrate shea butter mask (Sometimes used as a mask, sometimes used as a leave in. Mostly trying to get rid of it. )
Ecostyler pink gel

experimenting with SM 100% coconut oil shampoo and conditioner and leave in treatment. 

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Are you concerned that combing or using a detangler spray isn't CGM?  There are plenty of sprays that are CG.  

There is a good chance your hair is tangling because it is dryer from the climate.  Please don't confuse moisture with oil.  Oils will make your hair feel softer, but will not moisturize your hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • faithiebee1990faithiebee1990 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I'm not using any oils right now. I was using argan oil to try to seal in moisture, but I wasn't noticing much difference so I didn't buy it again after it ran out. I've been combing it out every morning after I get it wet and spray it down with the detangler. My hair looks obviously super messy and tangled and just bad if I don't. There's no trying to hide it. I must move a lot in sleep I guess? lol

I'm using the SM raw shea butter shampoo and conditioner and I'm experimenting the coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk to see if that improves anything. The store I went to was out of the shea butter transitioning milk leave-in so I decided to try the curl and style milk instead. I'm using the pink ecostyler gel. I've tried non SM products but I always end up coming back to SM because I get the best results. The detangler is CGM I'm pretty sure. It's the Not your Mother's naturals curl defining detangler. I'm mostly trying to use it up but it does help some. The shampoo and conditioner severely dried out my hair but the detangler is mostly decent. 
    2a/b fine strands but medium density hair. medium-high porosity? Colorado wavy trying to navigate my way through a new dry climate. 

current products:
    Maui Moisture heal and hydrate shea butter mask (Sometimes used as a mask, sometimes used as a leave in. Mostly trying to get rid of it. )
    Ecostyler pink gel

experimenting with SM 100% coconut oil shampoo and conditioner and leave in treatment. 
  • faithiebee1990faithiebee1990 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I just realized I was probably a bit confusing. I mean the SM 100% coconut oil shampoo and conditioner. Not putting straight coconut oil on my hair. My hair would kill me if I did that to it lol

current products:
    Ecostyler pink gel

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,629Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Shea butter will build up in your hair.  Have you clarified recently?  That might help with the tangling.  And also you'll be able to moisturize better without the butter and whatnot coating your hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    Shea butter will build up in your hair.  Have you clarified recently?  That might help with the tangling.  And also you'll be able to moisturize better without the butter and whatnot coating your hair.
    I get my hair trimmed every few months or so. My stylist uses a sulfate shampoo. I keep a sulfate shampoo in my shower to rinse out the cones and sulfates in the products she uses and then I do a deep treatment and continue with my CGM approved products. Is that good enough for clarifying? 

current products:
    Ecostyler pink gel

Here's what my hair looks like freshly clean with styling products and just finished diffusing with a hair dryer on cool. Still slightly damp. It doesn't stay that curly/wavy all day although I wish it would. It gets a little looser with beachy type waves I guess. One side stays curlier than the other which is another struggle of mine. I think I might start trying to cowash again. Anyone have recommendations for cowashes that won't weigh our hair down? Does anyone use the As I am cowash or the Cantu complete conditioning cowash? I've tried Suave and the Vo5 conditioners and they didn't seem to get my hair clean enough. It felt like just build up in my hair. That was at the beginning of my cgm journey though so maybe I should try again. Hopefully the pic works!  

current products:
    Ecostyler pink gel

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,629Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Guide 65 said:
    I get my hair trimmed every few months or so. My stylist uses a sulfate shampoo. I keep a sulfate shampoo in my shower to rinse out the cones and sulfates in the products she uses and then I do a deep treatment and continue with my CGM approved products. Is that good enough for clarifying? 
    Some people clarify every month or two, some clarify more often.  At one point I was clarifying once a week. 

Give it try once again and see how your hair responds.  There's more than silicones that build up on your hair.  Polyquats, butters, oils will all build up and prevent moisture from getting to your hair.  When I clarify, my curls will pop up a lot more.  If it makes a difference to your hair, you'll know you need it more often. 

I don't cowash, so I don't have any suggestions for you.  But both the As I Am and Cantu will be very heavy.  Look for something without a lot of butters and oils in the ingredients.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Just make sure your sister's sulfate shampoo only has sulfates and no silicones in it! I wasn't aware that some shampoos had silicones before I came to this forum, but some do.
    Wildberry said:
    Just make sure your sister's sulfate shampoo only has sulfates and no silicones in it! I wasn't aware that some shampoos had silicones before I came to this forum, but some do.
    Oh I forgot about that! I checked the  sulfate one I use and it has dimethicone but pretty far down on the list so I guess I didn’t read the whole label lol. I’ll get a different one next time I go to the store. 

current products:
    Ecostyler pink gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file