Why wont my curls last?

AlisonMeridaAlisonMerida Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
edited April 2018 in Hair Type 3
I love my curls, but it appears my curls really dont love me. I have 3A(and tiny ringlets around my ears), low porosity, medium thick and high density hair. 
When people comment on my hair, I most often get the comment that I look like meriad from brave except that I have a dark blonde hair colour, hahaha smile. But I have a problem, and thats not frizz(I kind of like a bit of frizz) its that my curls wont last. If I wash my hair in the morning (shampoo, conditioner, curl cream and gel) and let it dry, its great for a good part of the day, but in the evening it starts to get less curly/coily-> it kind of starts streching out and becoming less defined, without me even tugging on it. And the second day the curls in the front locks and at the nape of my neck are non-existent, and the rest is more streched out and fluffy. 

Before I used gel my curls were much less defined, it much more of a fluffball with curls.

(Im trying to find pictures of me with my hair at its best and what my hair looks like after a day, but they are surprisingly hard to find, I'll add them later if needed) 

PRODUCTS:
-Dr. Organic olive shampoo and conditioner
-shea moisture coconut and hibiscus style milk
-umberto giannini curl jelly

So the questions now are, what do you think is/are the cause(s) of my curls not lasting? and how do I fix it?

Im by the way open to any product recommendations
Thank you

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Anything with shea butter will be really heavy stuff and can weigh down the curls.  I would suggest replacing that with something lighter.  I like Deva Curl styling cream (NOT the supercream), but I'm sure there's plenty of other light curl creams out there. 

The second part is to get a good strong gel cast when your hair is drying.  I've been doing a double application of gel lately.  I do the first part when my hair is soaking wet, then a second application after towel drying.  I use smaller amounts each time so I don't get too much gel overall.  Once it's dry, you can scrunch out that hard gel until your hair is nice and soft.  But getting a good crunchy cast seems to help with long lasting curls.

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    How long have you been using your hair products?  Were you using the same products when you had good hair?  I am wondering if your products are too harsh.  Even if you have been using the same products, some times the formula changes.

Have you moved (it could be the water)?

Your hair may not like the coconut, some people complain that coconut products make their hair frizz.

You could have build up and need to clarify
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Hard Water and Build Up

Here is a helpful post to help you figure out if you need protein or moisture or both
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • AlisonMeridaAlisonMerida Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Anything with shea butter will be really heavy stuff and can weigh down the curls.  I would suggest replacing that with something lighter.  I like Deva Curl styling cream (NOT the supercream), but I'm sure there's plenty of other light curl creams out there. 

The second part is to get a good strong gel cast when your hair is drying.  I've been doing a double application of gel lately.  I do the first part when my hair is soaking wet, then a second application after towel drying.  I use smaller amounts each time so I don't get too much gel overall.  Once it's dry, you can scrunch out that hard gel until your hair is nice and soft.  But getting a good crunchy cast seems to help with long lasting curls.

I never knew that about shea butter, everybody is always so positive about it! Thank you for letting me know. 
    I really feel like I should purchase some devacurl products but they have so many products. I don't know where to start, I just wouldn't know which gel to get, but thank you for the cream suggestion. 
    I'll definitely try your gel technique. 
    Thank you so much for your advice!  :)
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I think the Deva Products have a lot of coconut and may give you similar results to the Shea Moisture.  I found them too heavy for my hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried using more gel? Sometimes it takes a LOT of gel to set the curl. I notice that when I use more gel, I get better second-day hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AlisonMeridaAlisonMerida Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    How long have you been using your hair products?  Were you using the same products when you had good hair?  I am wondering if your products are too harsh.  Even if you have been using the same products, some times the formula changes.

Have you moved (it could be the water)?

Your hair may not like the coconut, some people complain that coconut products make their hair frizz.

You could have build up and need to clarify
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Hard Water and Build Up

Here is a helpful post to help you figure out if you need protein or moisture or both
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning
    This is the first time I have been using the products, so the formula couldn't have changed. The gel and cream were the same when I had good hair, but I simply didn't use shampoo in that period, which was fine for a few weeks but then I just couldn't stand it and longer and had to wash my hair. But my hair wasn't limp at the root in the first two weeks of not using shampoo. 
    I haven't moved but I shower with lime water. 
    thank you for the links, I might need protein, but maybe a build up clarifier will help a lot. I'll try it

Therese1 said:
    Have you tried using more gel? Sometimes it takes a LOT of gel to set the curl. I notice that when I use more gel, I get better second-day hair.
    Yes, I have, but my hair becomes crunchy if I use too much of that gel  :# but I'll try and push it too it's absolute limit before it gets crunchy. 

The crunchyness btw cannot be help with scrunching the hair :/
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I think that sometimes people put a few drops of oil on their hair before their gel, and that will stop the gel from getting so crunchy. You could also try scrunching out the crunch using a few drops of oil rubbed in between your palms.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file