What Products/Cut to Help With My Transitioning 3B (some A) Hair?

jessica.l.dejessica.l.de Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
Hi curly girls! I'm SO happy to have found this site! I'm currently in the process of wanting to wear my mostly 3b (there are some a's in there) I've straightened and flat ironed for about 20 years now. Yikes! I know! :blush: I used the KCCC Knot Today and KCCC Custard starting two days ago and I'm finding that it may not be the best product for my hair. I'm also thinking I need a new haircut. So I have a few questions and I'm hoping you curly professional's can guide me before I whip out my flat iron again! lol
  • What products do you recommend for curly clumping and not too much volume? I don't like the poofy look but don't like the too flat look either and prefer my curls clump together. (Right now my back and inside curls are actual curls and the curls in front are a bit straighter cause I've flat ironed over those the most).
  • Speaking of clumping together, I think I'm thinking the right thing. Can you all explain what that is again?
  • I recently got my hair cut into a short blunt angled bob which had I known I was gonna start the curly journey I may have not done because it's SO short and the back looks like a square. Do I need to get long layers cut into it?
  • What method and products should I be using to get my 3b curls back to shape, growing and looking their best?

I look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks in advance!  :)

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  We're glad you found us!

Product recommendations are usually better when they're based on the other qualities of your hair - fineness or coarseness of the individual hairs, density, and porosity.  Here's a texture quiz to help you figure it out.  https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz

Clumping is when the strands stick together.  Big clumps make for a thick curl, small clump make for many thinner curls.  Pictures will help -
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly/how-i-style-my-curls-in-under-5-minutes-every-morning
    The girl in this article has a few strands of hair clumped into each curl.  On someone with thinner density hair, this can make the curls look stringy, with lots of open space between the curls.  Her hair is thick enough that she avoids the stringy look.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/learn/how-caitlin-gets-her-curls-to-look-so-fluffy-and-defined
    This girl has thicker clumps, with more hair strands making up each curl.  You need to get the hair to clump when it's wet, then it'll dry like that. 

Gel is usually the best product for clumping.  It will dry crunchy and hard and gives you the wet look, but you're supposed to crunch your hair once it's 100% dry, and it should end up looking soft but still defined.  LA Looks Sports Gel (the blue one) is loved by a lot of people, and it's really cheap to try.

Long layers are best for curly hair. 

Come back once you do the texture quiz and we can recommend some products  :)

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • jessica.l.dejessica.l.de Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! I took the texture quiz and here are my results:

• Type: 3B
    • Density:  Thick (although it's not that thick)
    • Porosity:  High
    • Thickness: Medium (although I think mine is more fine to medium)

So with that said, what products and process should I be using? 
    • Rake the product?  Smooth on?
    • Lotion, Oil, then Gel or cream?
    • Or do I use a leave in conditioner and gel, etc.?

Thanks again! :wink:
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    The standard CG method is cleanse, condition, leave in and gel.  Some people can do a curl enhancer before the gel.  I would say skip the oil for now.  Especially for styling.  

So - cleanse (low-poo or cowash, your choice), then conditioner.  For the leave in, you can either use your regular conditioner or buy a special leave in conditioner.  Regular conditioner works well for me, as long as I use just a tiny amount. 

For a curl enhancer, you could try something like AG Re:Coil, or Kinky Curly Curling Custard, or Deva Curl B'Leave In (this is not a leave in, despite it's name).  Curl enhancers contain ingredients to encourage the hair to curl, but they don't necessarily have any holding ingredients.  You can skip this step if it's all too much for you. 

Then a gel to top it off.  The gel typically includes ingredients to hold - so either a medium hold gel or a hard hold gel. 

All this should be done on really wet hair.  When you squish your hair, you should hear a nice squooshing sound.  I do it all right in the shower so I can rinse my neck and back afterwards.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to our curly community! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jessica.l.dejessica.l.de Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the details!

I used the kinky curly and it just weighed my curls down so I'm afraid to try it now, lol.  Unless it will be different with leave in and gel, etc.?

It made my hair heavy and crunchy but did define curls. Hmmm?

My front curls are at a 3a, some hard to curl at all pieces and my back and lower definitely 3b.  

I don't think the KCCC helped with those pieces?  Not sure.

I currently have Cantu Leave in Conditioner at home.  Will that do?  Or is that too heavy?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file