Help! Products falling flat...literally!

Raging RedheadRaging Redhead Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I'm needing recommendations. I need something that gives me volume, thickens and hold, especially at the roots. My hair is baby fine, thin, porous at the ends, 2b to 3a (with some encouragement), loves protein, hates glycerin. I use L'oreal Everpure volume shampoo and Tresseme Naturals Moisture.
Hoping someone leaves some recs. I've tried the hard hold gels, currently BRHG, but as soon as I scrunch out the crunch, there is no hold left. I have the Curl Keeper gel and original, same thing. Gels just don't seem to work for me. While they're wet it looks like I'm going to have nice root lift-although, there is too much scalp showing-but then I take out the clips and scrunch it out and it's flat. Also have the Herbal Essence mousses, they give better hold, but still not enough. I'm getting really tired of spending so much money for products that make big promises and literally fall flat for me.  
2b mostly, 3b underneath in back, fine, low density, porous.
Modified CG, doing no sulfate shampoo, no cone's. 
Product junkie and not happy with any product yet.

Best Answer

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I saw a great tip the other day that may help you.  Put a little dry shampoo on your fingertips and rub it on your roots, it seem to act like a texturizer.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Have you done a protein treatment recently?  That's how my hair acts when it needs protein. 

A second suggestion is to do a second application of gel.  If you apply gel in the shower before towel drying, try adding a tiny bit more after towel drying.  Or if you apply your gel after towel drying, then let it dry for a few minutes then go back and add more.  I get a better cast and hold that way.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Raging RedheadRaging Redhead Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Have you done a protein treatment recently?  That's how my hair acts when it needs protein. 

A second suggestion is to do a second application of gel.  If you apply gel in the shower before towel drying, try adding a tiny bit more after towel drying.  Or if you apply your gel after towel drying, then let it dry for a few minutes then go back and add more.  I get a better cast and hold that way.
    Guide 65 said:

I haven't done a protein treatment per se, but I spray on Neutral Protein Filler diluted with water, right after I shampoo and cond.. Maybe I'll do the gelatin PT next time. As for the 2nd application of gel, I do that, but how can I do that at the roots where I need the most help, without messing up the curls?
    I saw in your signature, that you love the Dippity Do gel, are you still loving it?
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you use a leave in conditioner you can mix a few drops of the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler with you conditioner.  I keep a small bottle in the shower so I can mix it right before I use it.

You may also need to clarify if you haven't done it lately, any build up can also weigh down your hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Many people like LA Looks for a hard-hold gel.

My favorite hard-hold gels are the Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel (has protein) and the Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel (no protein).

To get extra oomph, I use Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Spray at my roots. I apply it after leave-in but before gel. It does seem to help. I think there are probably other volumizing sprays available at the drugstore. 

In the past, when my hair liked protein, I used the Innersense Whipped Creme Texturizer. That helped give my hair some volume and texture.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair type is different than yours, but you might want to check out FitKat Style's videos, because she does have your hair type and a lot of good ideas: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWstNM7snYq_zHmy4YkwKoQ.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

I saw in your signature, that you love the Dippity Do gel, are you still loving it?
    I do still like it!  It hasn't been working for me in the winter so I've been experimenting with other products, but I'll go back to it when we get some high dew points.  Ugh...winter just doesn't want to leave us this year!
    Current products:
  • Raging RedheadRaging Redhead Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Bodega, What a coincidence, I have watched her videos just a couple weeks ago. Her hair is a lot like mine, but she has more of it. I left her a comments for recs and she hasn't replied.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This video has some great product rec's (I was looking at it for my sister):  Her Sleep and Refresher videos have some good ideas too: 
    Sleep: 
    Refresh: 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • LayladewaylaLayladewayla Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried diffusing instead of airdrying? My hair always falls flat when airdrying, even when I use clips. I would suggest to also try out different techniques of styling and drying, maybe you just need some fine-tuning!

Gaining volume at the roots has always been a challenge for me but the combination of a curl enhancer, BRHG, plopping for 5 minutes and diffusing upside down gives me decent and lasting root volume. Although it has to be completely dry before I start scrunching or it falls flat anyway
    2b-3a. 
    Normal porosity, med-coarse, med density.
    Loves glycerin but despises aloe.

Current Products:
    Shampoo: Nexxus Kelate, Redken Cleansing Cream
    RO: YTC, SM SuperFruit, Glisskur Ultimate Volume
    DT: SM SuperFruit masque
    LI: As I Am LI
    Stylers: MopTop Curl Custard, BRHG, Jessicurl CC
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried diffusing instead of airdrying? My hair always falls flat when airdrying, even when I use clips. I would suggest to also try out different techniques of styling and drying, maybe you just need some fine-tuning!

Gaining volume at the roots has always been a challenge for me but the combination of a curl enhancer, BRHG, plopping for 5 minutes and diffusing upside down gives me decent and lasting root volume. Although it has to be completely dry before I start scrunching or it falls flat anyway
    Great tips, @Layladewayla .... welcome to CurlTalk!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

I do all the above, but still can't get lift at the top. I'm going to try skipping conditioner entirely next time. I  usually use a light conditioner to just the bottom 3 inches of my hair, but I'm going to skip it, and just apply some Giovanni leave in to only the frizz prone areas. 

I do all the above, but still can't get lift at the top. I'm going to try skipping conditioner entirely next time. I  usually use a light conditioner to just the bottom 3 inches of my hair, but I'm going to skip it, and just apply some Giovanni leave in to only the frizz prone areas. 
    I use this diffusing trick -
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-type-3a/try-this-new-technique-to-fight-flat-hair

It really does help to give some lift to the top of my hair.  When I get out the shower my hair is just plastered onto my scalp.  I diffuse immediately, for maybe 10 minutes, and I do that twist.  That lifts the hair up and dries up some of the excess water.  I clip and air dry for a while, then finish with more diffusing.

Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file