Salt Spray

oliviarringtonoliviarrington Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
HI! I am new to the curly girl method and have 2b waves. I use a natural sea salt spray from Gnarly Whale, and it is silicone, sulfate and paraben free, but am unsure about the effects of salt on hair. Is it curly girl approved, or will it ruin my definition after repeated use? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Best Answer

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,377 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Sea salt sprays can be drying to the hair, and some people's hair is more sensitive to that than others'. I would keep an eye on your hair, and if you notice excessive drying, try deep conditioning and maybe using less of the product.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• oliviarringtonoliviarrington Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for your help! I'll try it for a bit and see what happens
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,634Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi @oliviarrington !  How's your hair doing with the salt spray? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,607Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I just saw a video by Lorraine Massey and she mentioned using saline solution (for cleaning contacts, eye drops, etc) like you would a salt spray. She figures that if it is safe enough for eyes it should be safe for hair. I put some in a spray bottle and have used it a few times as a refresher/volumizer on the top of my hair that tends to get flat. So far it works and doesn't seem drying at all. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,634Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I just saw a video by Lorraine Massey and she mentioned using saline solution (for cleaning contacts, eye drops, etc) like you would a salt spray. She figures that if it is safe enough for eyes it should be safe for hair. I put some in a spray bottle and have used it a few times as a refresher/volumizer on the top of my hair that tends to get flat. So far it works and doesn't seem drying at all. 
    Excellent tip! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 34Registered Users Curl Novice
    Cake Beauty has a great Wave Maker spray that is sugar-based instead of salt for giving textured beachy hair... I don't find it near as drying on my hair, gives me a lot less frizz, and it smells like cotton candy!
    2C/3A mix. Fine hair, and a ton of it.  Blonde balayage.
    Modified Canadian CG.
    Wash: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive, Live Clean Apple Cider Vinegar, Schwarzkopf Colour Freeze 
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive
    LI: Living Proof Curl Memory
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Taliah Waajid Curl Sealer, Devacurl Wave Maker
    Refresh for 2nd Day: Devacurl Mist-er Right
    Oil: Orofluido Original Elixir (for winter/high humidity.. not CG)

LOTS of scrunching with tshirts.. or the occasional diffusing for big beachy waves !
    Cake Beauty has a great Wave Maker spray that is sugar-based instead of salt for giving textured beachy hair... I don't find it near as drying on my hair, gives me a lot less frizz, and it smells like cotton candy!
    OH wow!  How fun!  I'll keep an eye out for it!  

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,270Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use CHS Rev Up! Voluming mist which is a salt spray and to ensure it doesn't over dry my hair, I also use my DIY aloe gel spray on dry hair.  So far so good.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
    Ondulee said:
    I use CHS Rev Up! Voluming mist which is a salt spray and to ensure it doesn't over dry my hair, I also use my DIY aloe gel spray on dry hair.  So far so good.
    Glad you found a combo that works!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would urge great caution in the using of any salt sprays. When I first found out about CG, and was wondering if I did really have curly hair, I used them exclusively as a styler for 4 or 5 months. They made my hair very curly, and while I did learn that I truly had curly hair, it was a HUGE mistake on my very porous and fine textured hair! They fried it every bit as much as using heat or chemical processes would have, It took a long time to coax my fragile hair into regaining the moisture it so desperately needed.
    BeinDeb said:
    I would urge great caution in the using of any salt sprays. When I first found out about CG, and was wondering if I did really have curly hair, I used them exclusively as a styler for 4 or 5 months. They made my hair very curly, and while I did learn that I truly had curly hair, it was a HUGE mistake on my very porous and fine textured hair! They fried it every bit as much as using heat or chemical processes would have, It took a long time to coax my fragile hair into regaining the moisture it so desperately needed.
    WOW!  Interesting. I hadn't heard of salt sprays doing this. I'm so glad you shared your cautionary tale. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,155Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also have had a very bad experience with products containing magnesium sulfate (which is a type of salt).  At first it worked wonders for my hair but after using it several times, all of a sudden my hair felt really nasty, very rough.  It took a few very long, deep conditioning treatments for my hair to get back to normal.  Never again - not for me!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file