Hard Hold Styling Product (for Wedding Hair)

LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
Hi curlies!

I am getting married later this year and I am looking for a styling product that meets quite a few requirements. As such, I would appreciate your recommendations.

My requirements are:
  • that it's CG;
  • that it will hold all day;
  • that it has no sulphates, silicones, polyquats or parabens;
  • that it is not too heavy/that it doesn't weigh down.

A wish would be that it is as natural as possible, but the list above has more priority.

My self-assessed hair properties are: fine, low porosity, and medium to low elasticity.

On a day to day basis, I use KCCC as my styling product. I wash my hair once a week with SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo and detangle with KCKT mixed with some Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. Those are literally the only products I own and use.

Last thing that might be good to know is that I am based in the Netherlands and sometimes cannot get hold of the products suggested. Just so you know :-)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
F - LP - HD - L/NE
Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My favorite for hold that has to last is LA Looks Sports Gel. I have baby fine/thin hair and it doesn't weigh it down, although there is definitely a fine line between enough and your hair isn't moving until you wash it, so experiment before the big day. You definitely need a leave in under it, as well.

If you can't find it where you are, here are the ingredients, maybe you can find something with a similar ingredient profile:

Aqua (Water), PVP, SorbitolCarbomer,Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Oleth-20, Rahnella/Soy Protein Ferment,Aminomethyl PropanolPEG-8Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, MethylparabenDiazolidinyl Urea

Obviously, it's not the most natural thing out there, but it does work.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could try max green alchemy sculpting gel. It’s fairly natural and has firm hold and it cg, one of the more firm holding natural gels out there. I would top it with hairspray perhaps... just to get you through the day with no worries. Congrats! 
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 91Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Have you looked into flaxseed gel with aloe and any natural preservative to try? 

Flaxseed, takes some trial and error depending on the hairtype but gives no crunch, soft hold and and is very moisturizing.

but it does contain proteins and I don’t think your low porosity hair would like that :/

Or the Mielle Organics Honey and Ginger Gel with a watered down leave in (or a spray).

Or probably the mane choice I know they have products that are targeted at wavy, curly and coils textures, possibly a mousse of you are up for it? I know their Pink Lemonade line is pretty light (for me at least), you can look into that.

trying my best! Not really used to helping wurlies (wavy curls or curlier waves) being like a 3c :(.
    Personally I suggest experimenting with whichever you see to be most favorable and try to get the amount right, whilst seeing how long it lasts.

Also, congrats!
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks everyone for your kind messages! :-D 

I've looked into LA Looks Sports Gel and Max Green Alchemy, but unfortunately I can get them here; either they don't ship here or shipping is ridiculously expensive (think over $40 just for the shipping).

My hair looooves flaxseed gel! But it has a soft hold that I know won't last me the full day. Mielle Organics Honey and Ginger Gel is not available here. The Mane Choice is, although not their Pink Lemonade line.

Regardless, I really appreciate your input!

I also saw a thread about BRHG. Although not quite as natural as I'd like, it should be available here (on ground even), but I know it can make your hair stringy/prevent clumps from happening. I might give it a go though.

Also, it's likely I will end up using hairspray just to be sure, but I would like to avoid it. I'll have a test run anyway so I know whether or not I need hairspray.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,841Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe try something from the Trepadora line.  I've been hearing really good things about it.  It's a European product, so possibly easier for you to get. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can try xanthan gum or agave or honey in your flax seed gel. Or irish  moss. All of those ingredients add to the hold of fsg. 
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Aitana24Aitana24 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I've just had a wash day and used FSG and then some hard hold Natura Siberica curl gel for extra hold, and it came out soooo good! I hope to replicate this in a second wash day. I have the shine and softness of FSG with the hold of gel, I didn't even refresh this morning! I woke up with no frizz at all.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Aitana24 said:
    I've just had a wash day and used FSG and then some hard hold Natura Siberica curl gel for extra hold, and it came out soooo good! I hope to replicate this in a second wash day. I have the shine and softness of FSG with the hold of gel, I didn't even refresh this morning! I woke up with no frizz at all.
    Wow! Sounds wonderful!  I hope this routine continues to work for you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file