Need help..what's going on with my hair/what type am I/product recommendations

blueskiesblueskies Posts: 123Registered Users Curl Novice
edited March 29 in Hair Type 3
Hi! I'm getting fed up with my hair and need help. I used to have 3a curls but I'd say it's more of a wave now. I'm attaching 3 photos - the one in the blue shirt is me 10 years ago..I'd love to get those curls back if possible. All I'd do was put product in then scrunch and air dry. The second two are of me now (would you call me a 2B?) I've tried all different products, diffusing, plopping but can't get it to curl more. I suppose it could be hormonal changes. I'd love some product recommendations. Thanks!!!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 335Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is that your baby? Babies will do a number on your hair, partially because hormones and partially because you don't have time to devote to hair care anymore.

What products have you tried and how do you use them? Is your hair fine/coarse, low/high density, and what's your porosity? The last few inches look pretty damaged, is that from straightening, coloring or just not maintaining moisture and protein levels?
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • blueskiesblueskies Posts: 123Registered Users Curl Novice
    edited March 29
    Is that your baby? Babies will do a number on your hair, partially because hormones and partially because you don't have time to devote to hair care anymore.

What products have you tried and how do you use them? Is your hair fine/coarse, low/high density, and what's your porosity? The last few inches look pretty damaged, is that from straightening, coloring or just not maintaining moisture and protein levels?
    Yes! That's my little guy. I'd say my hair is coarse, medium density, low porosity. It probably is pretty damaged. A bad hair stylist fried it last year..it's so much better than it was. 

I always stay away from sulfates and dimethicone. I've tried LA Looks sport gel, devacurl products, KCCC...I've tried diffusing and plopping. Plopping doesn't seem to work well for me. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,142Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Coarse hair, especially if low porosity, is often protein sensitive, and DevaCurl products are generally loaded wtih protein. I would try getting some protein-free products and going from there.

If your hair is low porosity, I think it would be helpful to do a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner. Low-porosity hair doesn't readily take up moisture, so the conditioner generally has to sit on the hair for 20-30 minutes to get it to penetrate the cuticle.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,280Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Therese1 said:
    Coarse hair, especially if low porosity, is often protein sensitive, and DevaCurl products are generally loaded wtih protein. I would try getting some protein-free products and going from there.

If your hair is low porosity, I think it would be helpful to do a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner. Low-porosity hair doesn't readily take up moisture, so the conditioner generally has to sit on the hair for 20-30 minutes to get it to penetrate the cuticle.
    Great advice!

@blueskies You and your baby are both gorgeous! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Therese1 said:

thank you! Any recommendations?

Gretchen said:
    Therese1 said:

Great advice!

@blueskies You and your baby are both gorgeous! 
    One possibility for a deep conditioner is the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I use that one and have not had a problem with it, and my hair is very sensitive to protein.

I'm not sure what other products I could recommend; my hair is very fine, while yours is very coarse. If you don't get any other responses in this thread regarding products to try, you could start another thread asking specifically for recommendations. Then others with similar hair to yours could suggest something.

The only other thing I can think of that will maybe help is to do a pre-shampoo treatment with some oil. That will help soften your hair and give it more elasticity (protein overload can make hair dry and brittle). To do this, you take a few drops of oil and work it through your dry hair several hours before you plan to wash. You want just enough to give your hair a slight sheen. As far as which oil to pick, maybe try avocado, sunflower, olive, or almond. I would avoid coconut oil since that can cause problems for protein-sensitive hair. (You can find a more complete list of oils here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html.)

Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 696Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    There are many different silicones to avoid, not just dimethicone.

Adding a good clarifying shampoo into the rotation would probably be a good idea too.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @blueskies,

Welcome to nc.com. This mighy sound strange, but i don't see any change in your curl pattern. I looks to me like your hair is longer and has a different hair cut, so it looks like it has less volume. I would consider talking to your hair dresser. But you could try a curl enhancer like AG Re:Coil or Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave-in (I've used the one for Wavy Hair). Just use caution as these products work with magenium sulfate to do the curl enhancing, which is drying. Definitely use regular moisturizing deep treatment if you decide to try this.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,280Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    @WavyKfromNJ Do you have a favorite clarifying shampoo?

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I can't say one is favorite, but I use either Kinky Curly Come Clean or Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo.
    2b, 2c,

Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    I can't say one is favorite, but I use either Kinky Curly Come Clean or Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo.
    Both excellent choices!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Here is a link to a very helpful article about silicones

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html
    2b, 2c,

would a deva cut help?
    A Deva cut might help, but I think it would be better to see what happens on a protein-free regimen first, before going in for a Deva cut. Also, if protein sensitivity is your issue, you will want to know that going forward, regardless of cut. The Deva stylist will use Deva products on you, and almost all Deva products are chock full of protein.
  • azaleagalazaleagal Posts: 30Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In addition to the above great advice, I think the right cut is key. I think you need some layers to take the weight off your hair a bit. It does not have to be a Deva Cut. I found a Ouidad trained stylist by doing a search on the NC website. She simply washes and cuts my hair and she will use my own products or no products if I ask her to-I don't like glycerin and the Ouidad products she uses have glycerin in them. So I just usually want the wash and cut, I know what products my hair likes and bring them with me. I will slip into the ladies room add them to my hair after she cuts it, and use my car heater to dry or air dry LOL.
    3a fine texture

Co Wash: As I am coconut cowash. Palmer coconut moisturizing shampoo
    Styling: KCCC, Devacurl Supercream, Jane Carter curl cream, Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie, Biotera gel, KCKT.
    here is a link to search for a salon
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/salons
    3a fine texture

Styling: KCCC, Devacurl Supercream, Jane Carter curl cream, Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie, Biotera gel, KCKT.
    Sorry meant this link https://www.ouidad.com/salon-locator
    3a fine texture

• StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 54Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 said:

Really? Never knew that about coarse low porosity hair lol, what about Medium-Low Porosity, between Medium and Coarse hair? I do know that coconut oil does virtually nothing to my hair, but doesn't make it hard/ brittle like others with similar hair type as me. I did have a bad initial expereince with all devacurl products, but after a month of trying to see how my hair reacted, my hair started to like it.
    Coarse hair in general is sensitive to protein. I am assuming that low-porosity coarse hair would be more sensitive to protein in general than high-porosity coarse hair simply because protein generally fills in gaps in the cuticle, and there are not many gaps in low-porosity hair. That can create protein overload because the hair does not need the extra protein.

As for medium- to low-porosity hair that is between medium and coarse, I would assume that would be more variable in its reaction to protein.
  • cabellohermoso_15cabellohermoso_15 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Also, the weather cud do a toll on yr curl pattern trust me, ik :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file