Thin, fine, wavy hair

purplesky8purplesky8 Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hi, I'm fairly new to this. I think I' am somewhere between 2A-3A hair and have very thin, fine, low-density, flat wavy hair prone to breakage. I think have normal porosity. I started doing the curly girl method in October of last year and notice my hair becoming thinner. I also got a haircut than and my hair has not been growing as fast as it used to before cg. Also, the bald spot in the back of my head seems to be getting more noticeable and bigger. But I look at the ends of my hair and some split ends seem to be gone and my hair feels moisturized but other than that not much has changed. I tried the DevaCurl Delight line and it left my hair straight and flat, but I do like their gel and defining creme. I have been using Shea Moisture Coconut Water fruit fusion line which does work for volume and cleansing but lately my hair has been going flat. I style with their curl enhancing smoothie and Bounce Curl gel and rotate between the shea moisture Peace Rose oil and black castor oil hair mask at least once a week or every other week-i used to do it every wash but soon found my hair too hydrated and it just fell straight. A few days ago I tried the Bounce Curl clarifying shampoo and cream conditioner and was allergic-my scalp and eyes were burning and red; also left my hair feeling hard and hair falling. I feel like giving up and going back to sulfate and silicone products but I still want hope to get waves back and hair growing back. What do I need for my hair? Thank you for all your help!

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi,
       You might want to check the thread for fine hair.  I am a big fan of protein for my hair, it gives it the muscle to hold the wave.

I also think some of the products you use may be too heavy for you.  Also, what do you use as a shampoo?  I think you should look into a clarifying shampoo.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • purplesky8purplesky8 Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    @WavyKfromNJ I' m currently using the Coconut Water Fruit Fusion shampoo and conditioner from Shea Moisture. I see that you're using Living Proof-I love their curl defining cream and have thought about using their other products! My hair does get oily fast though, is that alright? I've been thinking about their new Timeless line or Restore line.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I tried Shea Moisture and it really did not work for me.

I really like the Living Proof Restore.  I use the Curl Products for styling, I have never tried the Curl Shampoo or Conditioner.  I have not tried the Timeless either.  If it is super humid I will use the No Frizz line.

I have a super porous patch of hair and the Restore line is the only one I have found that works with that patch of hair, anything else throws off the moisture/protein balance.

If you want to try protein without a major commitment you can try Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF) you can get a small bottle at Sally Beauty for about $2.00.  Dilute some in a spray bottle and spritz away.  It makes my hair stiff when it tries, but after I rinse my waves return.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    I have tried many products for my thin, fine and wavy hair @purplesky8. What works for me is to use the smallest amount possible, no matter what product I am applying. Right now I am enjoying the AS I AM Coconut Cowash. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @purplesky8 !  So glad you've joined us. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file