BEST protein-free conditioner recommendations?

CurlyD24CurlyD24 Posts: 75Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Hi everyone! 

I am looking for product recommendations for a protein-free conditioner for my 3a curls. So far I was using the Devacurl OneC (that i LOVE) but I am looking for a replacement (for when I run out of it) as I like to switch up my products. I would also like to find a product that is a bit more natural. 

My hair loves aloe, honey, and lots of moisture, but doesn't like products that are too thick and contain a lot of oil / shea butter. 
I don't do very well with protein in conditioners: it tends to make my 3A hair turn into soft 2B waves that don't hold up during the day. (I tried the Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner). 

Any recommendations, favorite products? 

Thanks a lot! 
2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,389Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I like the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic conditioner. It's kind of pricey, but it works really well on my hair. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I love the Alaffia conditioners in my signature line, and they are all protein free. However, I just found out the Revitalizing Conditioner has been discontinued. I managed to stock up enough to get me through the summer. I called them and the person who answered suggested the Alaffia Strawberry Hair and Skin Lotion for Babies, and I might try that this summer. It is also protein-free in addition to glycerin-free so it might work.

The others in my sig (Alaffia Hydrating Daily - Coconut Lavender, Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing, Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating) are good and protein free but they are quite rich. I only use them in the cooler months when I need the moisture. The Coconut Reishi Hydrating Conditioner which they sell as a cowash makes a pretty good rinseout too (again, also quite rich).

You said you are protein sensitive, but The MopTop and the SM Coconut Hibiscus have silk protein in them. Silk protein benefits many different hair types, so your hair might like it. Along those lines, the SM Coconut Hibiscus Conditioner might be good for you.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Posts: 75Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for the recommendations! I decided to try Camille Rose Pear Conditioning Custard... I got carried away on the Target 3 for 2 and also got the Mielle Honey and Ginger gel and the Camille Rose ginger rinse!! 
    Not very good for my wallet.... but I needed a new conditioner and gentle shampoo. Hope they will be great ! 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
  • abuviaabuvia Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    CurlyD24,

Would you please tell me which specific products made your hair relax into 2b waves?

I have 2c/3a hair and like it best when it relaxes into waves. And though that does happen sometimes, I’ve yet to make it happen on demand.

Also, what is your texture and density?  So I can better predict if the result might be the same on my porous, fine hair. 

Thanks!  Good luck with your new products!
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Posts: 75Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Hi @abuvia
    I initially thought protein was making my hair relax into waves. Actually, it is quite the contrary: a lot (too much!) moisture makes my 2c/3a curls relax into waves. For instance, if I just co-wash, use a lot of conditioner and a leave in without a hold product, my hair turns into loose waves. I had this result with the Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.  I used to dislike it but I really enjoy it now when I want to change things up from my usual curly hair. 

If you want to relax your hair into waves, I would advise you to figure out which balance of moisture / protein makes your hair curl less. Another technique is slicking your hair back when it is wet out of the shower, maybe apply a leave in and then let it air dry without a hold product. I also really want to try this technique:  I have a very similar hair pattern to the girl in the video (although I wish I had her length...) and I love the results on her! 
  • abuviaabuvia Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Great tips!  Thank you, CurlyD24.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file