Transitioning Acceptance

TainaraTainara Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited March 27 in Transitioning
Hello everybody, 
Let.s create a whatsapp international group hair trasitioning to help us with that delicate period. I am Brasilian and nearly 4 months trasitioning. We can help each other and exchange experience, for everybody are interesting please leave your whatsapp contact.

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,795Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Or maybe you all could just chat here! We'd all like to read about your experiences; you can help so many others, too! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • TainaraTainara Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited March 27
    Nice let's do it ;)
          I am Brazilian and have been traveling and living in Europe the last 5 years, now I am moving to live in Ibiza for the summer and winter prob Barcelona. I am manager events promoter and had decided to do a big change in my life this year. 
    I will put some pictures to share my current experience. 
       To start with, since i was 13 years old I did chemical treatment to staighten my hair because like many curly girls we were bullying in door and outooor. Moreover we see all this beautiful celebrity with long straight hair and dream have this amazing hair, not mention the impact of the media has on us...
    After many years of the same process i get tired and decided start my trasitioning. It is being a new world for me but I am so happy for this changement. 

Always had straight before 13 nov 2017

on 13 Nov 2017 i had stoped straight it i decided wait it growing natural 

6 january 2018 i cut it and and dyed a bit

was so hard deal with 2 texture and cut it again. I had only 6 inches of my natural hair and was trying hair styling.

New cut on on 18 March 2018

Not satisfied On Sunday 25 March 2018, yesterday i did my last cut hair and I need courage to go out with this new style. However I am very very happy with my hair As The Nature Gave Me :)

Every day is a battle for me and I know I am not alone. Inside I can feeling every single cells of my body are celebrating with me this gloriously moment of acceptance and renewal.

Tainara  
  • Aitana24Aitana24 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Hi Tainara! I also started transitioning November last year. I tried for a month to work with my damaged hair but finally in January I ended up doing the Big Chop. I sort of look like a cabage now! haha! It's not been easy but this month I have actually begun to see spirals in my hair again. :)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,795Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow, @Tainara.... you are a stunningly beautiful woman. And smart and talented, too . . . I can just tell!  Thanks for sharing your story. Your curls are really coming out!  What techniques/products are you using? 
    @Aitana24.... so happy you are seeing spirals again.... though I did get a chuckle out of the "cabbage" comment! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    edited March 28
    @Aitana24, I need to get used to this new style, how you can see it is completely different how i had before but we know it will grows healthy and beautiful.

@Gretchen, Thank you very much, your curls is sublime. I do a "capillary schedule" with natural organic products, things we have at home this routine care is based in 3 steps during week. I use for,
    Hydration: aloe vera, milk cream and coconut milk, natural honey, avocado, papaya, strawberry. (sometimes I use it pure or i mix with any hydration cream)
    Nutrition: Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, avocado, corn oil end so forth... (I like to put the oil before go to bed and i sleep with, in the morning i wash normally.
    Reconstruction: Maize starch, eggs, mayonnaise, unflavored gelatin, liquid keratin (I mix with a Hydration cream or Reconstruction cream both are ok)

Ex:
                   Monday          Wednesday         Friday
    Week 1:  Hydration         Nutrition              Reconstruction
    Week 2:  Hydration         Nutrition              Hydration
    Week3 : Nutrition            Hydration            Hydration
    Week4:  Hydration          Nutrition              Hydration (Reconstruction only if i see that my hair need it)

*A lot of conditioner, always after the treatments it is the last process when I wash my hair, helps a lot.

:) When I wash to define the curls I use a leave-in humectant and  dry naturally then I active the curls pressing upwards.

It is all I do at the moment and I would love to learn more techniques to make my hair more curls and less frizz on the top.

What an impressive routine! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AdorajAdoraj Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited April 13
    I am in a similar boat as you. I have started my transitioning journey sometime last  year (although I didn't know it). I slowly stopped straightening my hair due to damage. I started wearing my natural curls although I hated it (I have come to want that hair back now). My hair started falling out but I didn't do anything about it since I was postpartum. My son is now almost 3 years and I have thinning of my hair and freaked out. I tried a weave (which I hated...its so ITCHY!) I did a big chop (not my intention but the hair dresser didn't listen to my wishes). I got depressed cried every week for about a month and a half. I had to learn that I was not my hair. In my eyes my hair defined my beauty. With the big chop I had to learn to love and feel confident in other things about myself. Couldn't really find much so I changed my health a little and started to work out. I started doing a henna treatments 1 every 3-4 weeks, deep conditioning every week, hot oils monthly, no tight hair dos, etc. I have come to accept my hair the henna gives my hair some length although it is taking away some of the curl so I will have to space that out a bit more. I'm still working on my regiment and it is hard. Sometimes I feel like giving up but I have a goal in mind. It's hard to read what your hair needs or lacks. 

1st year postpartom

1 1/2 -2 year mark transitioning before it all started going to crap

Post big chop 

Still getting used to the short hair and every day is a challenge. Have good days and bad days. I have no idea how to style it so I just leave it be. 

Do you guys have any regimens that help with hair growth & strength? Or any ideas for styling with little to no stress on your hair?

I am in a similar boat as you. I have started my transitioning journey sometime last  year (although I didn't know it). I slowly stopped straightening my hair due to damage. I started wearing my natural curls although I hated it (I have come to want that hair back now). My hair started falling out but I didn't do anything about it since I was postpartum. My son is now 2 years and I have thinning of my hair and freaked out. I tried a weave (which I hated...its so ITCHY!) I did a big chop (not my intention but the hair dresser didn't listen to my wishes). I got depressed cried every week for about a month and a half. I had to learn that I was not my hair. In my eyes my hair defined my beauty. With the big chop I had to learn to love and feel confident in other things about myself. Couldn't really find much so I changed my health a little and started to work out. I started doing a henna treatments 1 every 3-4 weeks, deep conditioning every week, hot oils weekly, no tight hair dos, etc. I have come to accept my hair the henna gives my hair some length although it is taking away some of the curl so I will have to space that out a bit more. I'm still working on my regiment and it is hard. Sometimes I feel like giving up but I have a goal in mind. It's hard to read what your hair needs or lacks. 

Post partum 1st 9 months hair seemed still healthy with some heat damage 

Postpartum 1 1/2 - 2 years before it all the damaged hair started to fall out and thin

Just last month a couple weeks after the big chop

I still struggle and try my best. I have good hair days and bad hair days. I have no idea how to style it so I mostly let it be. 

Do you guys have any good regimens or any hair styling tips that don't put a lot of stress on your hair?

You and your hair are beautiful... whatever length!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • DionaDiona Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @Adoraj you look beautiful. For the hair loss, be sure to get your thyroid checked by your doctor. Hair loss is a common occurrence with thyroid problems and can easily be missed. 
  • Aitana24Aitana24 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Hello @Adoraj I also have thin hair. Try using Flax seed gel as a styler, helps with definition, frizz and shine, and it's natural and a light product. Also, it's good for your hair :)
    Thanks for the recommendations!

• StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 85Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Beautiful!
  • weirdcurlykoreanweirdcurlykorean Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi, Im Korean (if you read my username) and I was born with straight hair. When I started hitting puberty I had crazy curly hair growing on the roots and decided to rebond it. Basically chemically changing the hair strands, now I want to grow out my overprocessed hair and finally meet my curly/wavy hair (I'm not sure yet). But during this journey, I had realized my hair has been growing "weirdly". My profile pic shows you the strands. The hair in the front of my head is growing quite nicely but on the back and middle side is growing "wonkily and crooked". Could someone help identify whats happening and if I keep growing them they would grow beautifully?I've always loved curly hair and am jealous of my friend's(she has beautiful 2c/3a curls). Someone help? 
    I'm not sure but have you tried to enhance the curls on your crooked/wacky strands? I have hair like that as well and I enhance by finger curling. 
  • italiabellaitaliabella Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I'm now at 2.5 years since my last Japanese straightening treatment after 12 years of doing it. Had the same thing happen - big damage incident and decided to pull the plug. To be honest only in the last few weeks have I really started to like my hair again, but once in awhile I have a moment where it pulls at the heartstrings and I struggle again. Failed products / my friend doing my color well and then applying silicone filled gel that gave me 80s stringy hair, you name it.

Everyone says be patient, which at the time is the most **** feedback ever, but it's so true! Each week and month my hair got healthier. If you can swing it without doing any heat at all and not doing much or any coloring it will be faster and better. I went cold turkey on the blow dryer in September and it's been steady improving ever since. My hair at the roots is way healthier than the ends!

I don't have a well-structured routine for types of conditioning like someone mentioned here, but it's good to think about how your hair responds to protein, learn when it needs moisture (when you reactivate 2nd/3rd day, add some curl cream if you need, the Deva supercream does magic for me). I once read alternate masks between hydration and protein and that has worked well for me. 

While I was transitioning, especially early on, the Shea Moisture JBCO mask was my savior. Now I use it rarely when I sense my hair needs the protein (e.g. after getting balyage highlights) but otherwise not as much. 

It's an emotional rollercoaster but there is a pot of gold at the end, I promise! I've had people I haven't spoken to in 10 years message me privately to say my hair is amazing in my few social media posts, so keep the faith and power on. Figure out what else makes you feel beautiful and rely on that for the tough days (your favorite lipstick, best skinny jeans, the gym, etc.)
  • socurlssocurls Posts: 199Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Tainara I love your hair ! :smiley:
    I just created an Instagram account on the evolution of my curly hair journey ! 
    It will be a pleasure to find you there  :)

https://www.instagram.com/socurls/

@socurls

Figure out what else makes you feel beautiful and rely on that for the tough days (your favorite lipstick, best skinny jeans, the gym, etc.)
    Love your whole post but especially love this bit at the end. Brilliant advice!  Thanks for sharing your wisdom! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,175Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Seeing the results after the transitioning is so exciting! Beautiful results - you all look much prettier with your curly hair.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    @Adoraj, You are so brave and for sure you will see the beautiful results at the end... that seemed to be a long process but when relax a bit about, it become more easy ;) soom i will put more new pics and I would love to know about how is going your progress.
    xx    
    @socurls, thank you! Yours curls are amazing :) 
    xx

Update the development of my hair 3 months after the last pic. I don’t know yet if my hair is 3b or 3c type. I need to wait it grows until cut the scab hair. But I am very happy how it is now. 
  • socurlssocurls Posts: 199Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Wooooow I love it  ! ! :smiley: 
    I just created an Instagram account on the evolution of my curly hair journey ! 
    It will be a pleasure to find you there  :)

https://www.instagram.com/socurls/

@socurls
  • nunezalonunezalo Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    This was after my first deva cut in March. It was very hard getting my front pieces curly again. My hair was still 2 different colors from previous dyes. Here is about a month later, still lots of frizz going on but got some curl definition back. I was still experimenting with different products at this time. 
    This is when I started using the Purador Curl therapy shampoo and conditioner. Granted, it was rainy that day but not humid enough to have my hair like this lol. I was struggling, so ready to give up. This is when I quit the Purador products, right before I dyed my hair black. I was so excited to be seeing curl definiton and control but it was still looking pretty rough in the sunlight. (THIS PIC DOES THIS HAIR DAY NO JUSTICE)
    This is the same day I dyed it black, cut it, and air dryed. I was extremely happy to see much more health! I know a dye sounds like a bad idea when you're transitioning, but it actually worked out for the best!

This is the most accurate representation of what it looks like right now. This was after overnight hair plopping. Still working on the frizz and curl definition, but very happy to see changes. 

Hello, I am also transitioning my damaged hair back into my natural curls. I always over straightened my hair to not have to deal with it in the morning and also because I always felt like my hair was not suitable for the job I was looking for because I felt it didn't look "professional". In March I got my first deva cut and since then its been a battle getting my curls back. At first when I started with Purador Curl Therapy I was getting so much frizz and no definition. I assumed it was because my hair was transitioning and becoming used to the No Poo. But then I quit the Purador and since then I've been seeing much more definition. I've been testing out products for months and so far the BEST technique for me has been hair plopping overnight and diffusing in the morning. It's still a struggle with trying to get my hair under control because I am so self conscious about it at work. But I am slowly learning to love and accept what I got. 
    Gorgeous, @nunezalo! Welcome to CurlTalk!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ManmandjManmandj Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    So I have only started my curly girl transition 2 weeks ago. Not chemically processed but straighten quite often. My hair has always straighten very easily and I had always assumed it was just wavy but as I have researched curly girl hair types I have cam to discover I am more of a 3a with some 2c waves. The longer I go in this transition the more curly my hair is getting. It is waist length low porosity and low density. I currently low poo everyday or every other day and condition daily. I use L.A gel. However this doesn't provide the hold that I am use to with hairspray any tips would be great. 
    Has anyone tried the deva cut/deva curl products? 

As my hair is growing it is growing unevenly and taking an odd form. I know that the deva cut cuts your curls individually and helps shape out your hair and make it look full. Did it work for you? Also, I know they use a LOT of product to make your hair look nice. Is the product healthy for your hair or did it dry it out? 
  • LMarie70LMarie70 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I am in week 3 of transitioning into the Curly method. Still learning what my hair likes and dislikes as far as what holds and what is weighing it down. I am a 2c/3a. So far I am discovering that my hair does better with gel but I wonder if I should use a finisher once the crunch is out? I'm finding that the humidity makes my hair frizzy as the day goes on. I've tried oil but it just weighs down my hair. Will be honest when I say its been frustrating and I sometimes feel my hair did better when I just didnt pay attention to it  and used bare minimum products lol, but I am in the long haul.
  • ManmandjManmandj Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    This is my hair since starting the transition. More frizzy but more define at the ends for sure.
  • LanfearBiLanfearBi Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hy All :)
    Love all the curls going on!!! I only found out 4-5 days ago that my hair actually could be curly, I always had very straight hair until I hit puberty, when they became very sheep like :D all frizzy and wavy, at the time I had very long hair and nobody in my family has waves or curls so i just assumed my hair hates me hehe. I recently went to the hairdresser and got them chopped and she also blow dried them with a defuser for me and told me to watch what happens with a bit of product and proper care... So i followed her tipps.. so far I stopped brushing my hair.. which is super weird for me and also started to spray my hair every morning with a mix of water and conditioner and crunch them up and I do see a bit of change, eventho I am quite sure thats more excitement that real change so far, I sitll have to figure out the best way of sleeping with my hair without making an absolute mess out of them.

Picture with what I am working with so far, though my hairdresser did say that if I work with it I could get to a lot more defined stage :)))

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file