New Here, seeking guidance!

haylstormsxhaylstormsx Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
Hi! I'm 26 and a 3a/3b (I've always considered myself 3a but the naturally curly quiz said I was 3b) hybrid. Accepting my curly hair has been a struggle my whole life - my mom always blow dried out her curls so she was no help, I received straighteners and hair dryers as gifts as a pre-teen/teen and was always encouraged to straighten it by my family members and even boyfriends. Fast forward a decade and I'm in a relationship with a guy who loves my curls. It's been giving me a new outlook on them and I've been trying to nurture the curls for the last few years but I feel like a complete newb. I stopped using heat (maybe once a month? Sometimes not even that) on my hair and stopped coloring it about 3-4 years ago. My hair texture before was pretty coarse/dry - probably from all the misuse. Now that it's healthy I honestly have no idea how to take care of it - it doesn't need a lot of extra moisture so I've started skipping conditioner and just using shampoo + a really great leave in. I can't figure out a good product regime though - love the devacurl cream (haven't tried the coconut one, just the original) but some days my hair needs extra help with frizz and definition. Gel? Mousse? I'm at a loss here. What I've tried weighs it down and makes it clumpy. 

My current line up is:
OGX Teatree oil & mint shampoo 3-5x a week (I get bad dandruff in winter and tea tree oil based shampoos are the only thing that help, will change brands when spring really hits)
OGX tea tree oil & mint conditioner 1x every 1-2 weeks with shampoo as needed if feeling extra dry 
Renpure cleansing conditioner on sundays without shampoo
Honest Co Conditioning & Detangling spray (made for gentle baby hair, it's been my favorite for a while) 
I usually comb through the detangling spray and then apply one pump of Devacurl Styling Cream. My hair did really well with devacurl - I used it all spring/summer last year but after about 5 months stopped seeming to respond - it was oily and needed washed more frequent than usual. 

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Your OGX products probably contain sulfates and silicones.  You might want to try Trader Joe's Tea Tree Triple Treat instead.  I've never used it, but it's recommended a lot. 

Once you get rid of the silicones, you might need to go back to conditioners.  Silicones act like a bandaid - they make your hair look and feel healthy, but they're hiding the dry hair underneath.

Have you tried gel?  It might work better than a cream in the warmer months, then when winter hits again, go back to the cream.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with @Guide 65 that the silicones are working against you - the Renpure conditioner also has cones. Trader Joe Tea Tree Tingle could work for you. But check out this article for more options: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/products-for-itchy-scalp.html?m=1
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk, @haylstormsx

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji