Is my hair type now 4a?

CurlyJKCurlyJK Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Almost a year ago, I came to ask for my hair type, and someone said I was type 3c. Now, I come back, because I believe my hair changed texture.

Which type 4 hair do you think I am?

Best Answer

• Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I have 3c ,4a, 4b in my hair but I just say 4a but I think you may be 4a. 

Answers

• CurlyJKCurlyJK Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bump.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,703Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It's definitely not a 3.  I'm not good at hair typing, especially when it gets to the kinky/coily hair types, but it is somewhere in the 4 category.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I just read that 4b/4c hair didn't have visible curls-I see curls in my hair. So I guess it must be 4a. If anyone sees something wrong with what I just typed, please correct me.
    Gretchen said:
    Yeah...but the thing is, my hair looks to be different throughout my head. In the front it's kind of coily, while in the back, they look more like tighter curls.
    Here's a picture of my hair from last year, when it was shorter:
    One picture is of my hair extremely frizzy before I wet it(haven't even wet it with water for like 4-5 days), and the other is from when my hair is wet.
    Acts like 4a, so I agree
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 85Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I believe your hair is 4a. It looks a bit similar to my 4a sections, but it is just frizzier. 

Does your hair loosen up when wet? From what I notice, Those with 3b-4c usually drop down a level when wet. The 3c goes down to 3b, 4a goes down to 3c, etc. Then again, their hair is usually long. You can try to see if that works for you, but I don't think it would be very accurate.

But what is more important is the porosity, density, strand thickness, etc. Think of hair as skin; your skin type matters more than the color. 
    I believe your hair is 4a. It looks a bit similar to my 4a sections, but it is just frizzier. 

Does your hair loosen up when wet? From what I notice, Those with 3b-4c usually drop down a level when wet. The 3c goes down to 3b, 4a goes down to 3c, etc. Then again, their hair is usually long. You can try to see if that works for you, but I don't think it would be very accurate.

But what is more important is the porosity, density, strand thickness, etc. Think of hair as skin; your skin type matters more than the color. 
    Yeah, it does curl when wet:
    (The sides weren't completely wet in the above picture)

My hair completely wet. It has extremely high porosity, if that makes any difference (I wet it two hours ago, it's still damp)
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 85Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyJK said:

My hair completely wet. It has extremely high porosity, if that makes any difference (I wet it two hours ago, it's still damp)
    That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s high porosity. Hair at that length should’ve been dry ages ago, you seem closer to low medium porosity. 
    edited May 14
    CurlyJK said:

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s high porosity. Hair at that length should’ve been dry ages ago, you seem closer to low medium porosity. 
    I'm confused, I thought high porosity meant the hair was able to retain water for a long period of time (not that I'm an expert)
    edited May 14
    Okay lol, I must have extremely low porosity. Got the two mixed up.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    What are you trying to achieve with your hair?  Are you looking for more definition? More hair health? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    What are you trying to achieve with your hair?  Are you looking for more definition? More hair health? 
    Trying to decide the right route to control frizz besides cutting it all off (again), because I'm attempting to grow it out. My hair unfortunately has difficulty absorbing most products of all types.
    CurlyJK said:
    CurlyJK said:

I'm confused, I thought high porosity meant the hair was able to retain water for a long period of time (not that I'm an expert)
    Long winded post that hopefully helps you!

Quite the opposite! High porosity has a more difficult time holding on to moisture. While low porosity hair has a hard time receiving moisture, but once it's in the strand it retains moisture for quite some time.

The medium porosity allows the right amount of moisture to enter and to leave, holds styles better than high or low porosity, and takes the least effort in caring. It just needs to keep a protein to moisture balance or it will go out of whack, knowing this from experience.

Low porosity can sometimes be protein sensitive and coconut oil sensitive, but I haven't received any "bad" effects yet from having them in my routine when mixed with something that dilutes them. Pure coconut does make my hair scratchy but not hard, so I'm still on the fence as to why it reacts like that. Despite that, I only need a cream leave in and it fixes the issue. Also, LP is more prone to product buildup than the other 2, so you have to be mindful of ingredients that can build up on your hair such as Behentremonium Methosulfate (not a sulfate!), Behentrimonium Chloride, some polyquaterniums, and some natural ingredients like Shea Butter or Mango Butter that can really just sit on the hair. Plus you'll have to be careful when cleansing since LP Type 4 is already very dry, using a shampoo that doesn't strip but cleanses can be a good option. COwashes aren't really that LP-friendly since they don't really remove the ingredients that can build up on the hair. Also, try to avoid silicones, and when cleansing using warm water to open the cuticle, then shampooing, rinsing shampoo out with warm water, conditioning, then rising that with cool water helps.

This porosity also fairs better from the CG method

High porosity dries relatively quickly, sometimes in 15 minutes, but it really varies! However, it is usually from damage, there are those that have it from just genetics and their goal is moisture retention. They can get away with more heavier protein-based products sometimes or butters as their hair will soak it all up, these heavy products do help slow the escape of moisture. They also benefit from rinsing their hair with cool water after conditioning since it closes the cuticle and gives it amazing shine/ sheen. Coconut oil does work better on those with high porosity as it acts like a protein reducing the loss of internal protein from wetting, but it isn't the case for literally everyone. Due to how dry it is, it does really benefit from shampoos that strip the hair but only from those that cleanse. It does prefer COwashes better than the LP hair does, but again it doesn't remove the ingredients that build up like the ones mentioned. It can also go far longer than LP from Shampooing (I mean both can go a while without shampooing).

This hair porosity fairs better on non-CG friendly products such as some silicones since they can aid in retaining moisture

Despite these differences, trial and error are your only friends. Some things that work better for HP hair can be used by LP and vice versa. Normal is just there, yes it is easier but that doesn't mean it isn't a hassle, not as big as LP or HP, but a hassle nonetheless since it is curly hair.

Once you find what your hair likes and dislikes you can basically try some unconventional methods of hair care. I, for example, used a Deep Conditioner (just a wee bit) as a leave-in, because I know how my hair reacts to certain products and due to the fact that my hair was so darn dry (i had a protein overload too🌚) and my hair was happy with it.

@Stillunsureonmycurltype - thank you for that explanation!  There's so much misinformation about porosity, it's hard to figure it out.  It's always confused me when people talk about high porosity hair and long drying times, etc.  Your explanation actually makes sense!
    Current products:
    edited May 15
    Okay last question: Why might the hair on the back and sides of my head be so much frizzier than on top
    CurlyJK said:
    CurlyJK said:

Long winded post that hopefully helps you!

Quite the opposite! High porosity has a more difficult time holding on to moisture. While low porosity hair has a hard time receiving moisture, but once it's in the strand it retains moisture for quite some time.

The medium porosity allows the right amount of moisture to enter and to leave, holds styles better than high or low porosity, and takes the least effort in caring. It just needs to keep a protein to moisture balance or it will go out of whack, knowing this from experience.

Low porosity can sometimes be protein sensitive and coconut oil sensitive, but I haven't received any "bad" effects yet from having them in my routine when mixed with something that dilutes them. Pure coconut does make my hair scratchy but not hard, so I'm still on the fence as to why it reacts like that. Despite that, I only need a cream leave in and it fixes the issue. Also, LP is more prone to product buildup than the other 2, so you have to be mindful of ingredients that can build up on your hair such as Behentremonium Methosulfate (not a sulfate!), Behentrimonium Chloride, some polyquaterniums, and some natural ingredients like Shea Butter or Mango Butter that can really just sit on the hair. Plus you'll have to be careful when cleansing since LP Type 4 is already very dry, using a shampoo that doesn't strip but cleanses can be a good option. COwashes aren't really that LP-friendly since they don't really remove the ingredients that can build up on the hair. Also, try to avoid silicones, and when cleansing using warm water to open the cuticle, then shampooing, rinsing shampoo out with warm water, conditioning, then rising that with cool water helps.

This porosity also fairs better from the CG method

High porosity dries relatively quickly, sometimes in 15 minutes, but it really varies! However, it is usually from damage, there are those that have it from just genetics and their goal is moisture retention. They can get away with more heavier protein-based products sometimes or butters as their hair will soak it all up, these heavy products do help slow the escape of moisture. They also benefit from rinsing their hair with cool water after conditioning since it closes the cuticle and gives it amazing shine/ sheen. Coconut oil does work better on those with high porosity as it acts like a protein reducing the loss of internal protein from wetting, but it isn't the case for literally everyone. Due to how dry it is, it does really benefit from shampoos that strip the hair but only from those that cleanse. It does prefer COwashes better than the LP hair does, but again it doesn't remove the ingredients that build up like the ones mentioned. It can also go far longer than LP from Shampooing (I mean both can go a while without shampooing).

This hair porosity fairs better on non-CG friendly products such as some silicones since they can aid in retaining moisture

Despite these differences, trial and error are your only friends. Some things that work better for HP hair can be used by LP and vice versa. Normal is just there, yes it is easier but that doesn't mean it isn't a hassle, not as big as LP or HP, but a hassle nonetheless since it is curly hair.

Once you find what your hair likes and dislikes you can basically try some unconventional methods of hair care. I, for example, used a Deep Conditioner (just a wee bit) as a leave-in, because I know how my hair reacts to certain products and due to the fact that my hair was so darn dry (i had a protein overload too🌚) and my hair was happy with it.

Yeah, the low porosity description completely describes my hair
    Thanks @Stillunsureonmycurltype ! Impressive! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    CurlyJK said:
    Okay last question: Why might the hair on the back and sides of my head be so much frizzier than on top
    Maybe the hair on the back and sides is more damaged cuz it's older? The hair on the top is newer (fresh growth)? I dunno; I'm just guessing. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    CurlyJK said:
    Do you touch your hair more there?  Rest your head on your hands, rub the back of your neck and head?  Maybe it's because of sleeping.  Do you do anything to protect your hair at night?  You can sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase, or wear a do-rag at night.
    Current products:

Leave in conditioner made a big difference
    CurlyJK said:

Leave in conditioner made a big difference
    Ooh, nice curls! If you want, you can add a gel to define them more, you just have to find your gel match ;).
    edited July 1

Growth update #1
    Beautiful!  Your hair looks so healthy and happy now!
    Current products:
  • NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited July 15
    CurlyJK said:

Growth update #1
     I viewed your pictures and to me your texture looks 4A. Your curls are loose than some 4As (some can have tightly/smaller curls). I would just stick to 4A until it grows out more...

Pattern: 3C/4A 
    Characteristics: (Spongy/Coarse/Curly Kinky)
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

My hair is arm pit length when silk pressed (so close to BSL).
    Natural state: awkward stage; close to shoulder length (front is chin length and back is shoulder length).
    Goal: MBL
    10-28-15 (BC Date)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file