Upcycle products?

LaReineLuiseLaReineLuise Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey Curlies,

since I'm new to CurlTalk I hope you might help me out in this matter:

What do you do with products that you buy but don't work for your hair? Throw them out, give them away?
I recently bought the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, but no matter how much or little I use, it does not really work for my moody 2c/3a hair. One reason might be that the german winter is too cold because I figured that the Cantu Curl Activator Cream, which is heavier than the smoothie, works better.
The thing is: I don't have curlie friends who could use the Smoothie instead, and I'm on a budget, so I'm hesitant to throw out a product I paid 20€/$25 for.

Do you know if there are possibilities to add something to the Smoothie to make it thicker and more suitable for my hair?

Thanks a bunch!

Answers

• RimonsileyRimonsiley Posts: 40Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I have to say I usually give the products to someone else, mostly to my mom (she doesn't have curly hair, but her mane accepts basically anything :smile: ). Sometimes I try to repurpose it, f. e. with conditioners I just mix them with water to make moisturizing spray I use during the day.
    In your case, I have no experience with that brand or the product itself, but have you tried mixing in some oils or butters to make it thicker? Other than that, maybe just mixing it with another product. Hope that helps!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You could hold onto it, to see if it will work in the warmer weather.

You could list it for sale on the swap board

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    I don't throw anything out. I give most things I don't like to my sisters and cousins. A few times a year we have a B1tch and Swap. We take stuff we don't want and trade for things we do want (it can be anything - beauty products, books, purses, clothes, anything). So nobody goes away empty handed. Plus we eat, drink, and b1tch about things. : )
    I also live in a big old hotel and we have a table in the main lobby where we put stuff that we don't want. I can put any hair product on there and in minutes it's gone. I've also gotten some cool hair stuff there. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    You could hold onto it, to see if it will work in the warmer weather.

You could list it for sale on the swap board

Great ideas! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I don't throw anything out. I give most things I don't like to my sisters and cousins. A few times a year we have a B1tch and Swap. We take stuff we don't want and trade for things we do want (it can be anything - beauty products, books, purses, clothes, anything). So nobody goes away empty handed. Plus we eat, drink, and b1tch about things. : )
    I also live in a big old hotel and we have a table in the main lobby where we put stuff that we don't want. I can put any hair product on there and in minutes it's gone. I've also gotten some cool hair stuff there. 
    Love the complain and swap idea!  Hilarious. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,523Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I try to give them away where possible, to people I know who have curly hair.

You could try mixing some of the SM CES with the Cantu. Or maybe the CES will work on days when you just refresh your hair. Some people use lighter products on refresh days.

Have you tried using the tiniest amount of the CES? Like the size of your pinky fingertip? Some people report that the absolute tiniest amount of the CES is the solution. It is a finicky product. You could use it underneath the Cantu.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,844Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Is it a creamy product?  You could use it for shaving your legs.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file