hi, kinda new

bottledsunshinebottledsunshine Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
i found this site while researching to figure out why my hair feels (and looks) so terrible through google. i took the hair quiz, i have type 2c, low porosity, fine hair. i have never seen my hair dry and curly because i brush it all the time, it just looks like a 2c when it's wet. my hair isn't damaged from what i know, i just never learned how to style it because my dad has straight hair, and my mom was never taught how to take care of her hair too. i'm tired of my hair looking terrible all the time, so i'm happy i found this site and i'm ready for pretty hair! i just don't know where to start. my hair gets greasy after a day and it's really dry. i've used commercial brands my whole life, meaning they probably have silicones and sulfates in them which are bad.. but i don't know what else i can buy that's going to clean and condition my hair. any help is appreciated!

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    Hi @bottledsunshine

Welcome to nc.com. Good for you for embracing your natural hair texture. Also, good for you fornalready determining your hair properties. That helps a lot. Here are a few thoughts:

1) Stop brushing your hair. This alone could be the thing you need. Most curlies finger detangle in the shower, which is ideal. If you need a tool use a wide-tooth comb or tangle teezer in the shower. Only do this wet. 

2) It might be ok that you are using commercial products. For example,  Suave Essentials conditioners, VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioners, and VO5 Herbal Escapes Conditionersare very popular CG-friendly products. Which products are you using?

3) However if you have been using silicones, you might want to start out by getting a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice. Even if this is sulfate free, it is still pretty serious business, sonits good to follow with a moisturizing deep treatment. Camille Rose Natural Algae Treatment or As I Am Hydration Elation are bkth good choices. You can also use a CG-friendly rinseout conditioner and boost it with a few drops of oil and honey. Just apply generously, put on a shower cap and leave for 20-30 minutes ideally under heat (a wash cloth warmed with hot water will do) then rinse. Then set these aside to use about 1x/week to 1x/month depending kn when your hair seems to need it. 

4) Fine, low porosity hair frequently behaves like yours - gets greasy and/or weighed down easily, but has trouble getting hydrated. Washing more frequently helps for this hair type. Take a look at this article for for information about staying hydrated: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html?m=1.

Other than that, learn what you can about the Curly Girl Method. Many people learned from Lorainne Massey's book Curly Girl Handbook. One of the nc.com co-founders just came out with a book called Curl Revolution which is pretty good. But many of us learned by reading around nc.com and Curltalk. So you came to the right place. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome @bottledsunshine!  What a fun username. 
    So glad you've found us and glad you're embracing your natural texture!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    For some product ideas, see http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Product Suggestions and Styling.You'll need to scroll down the page a bit to get to the product list. Raquel has very thick hair, but she notes which products are lighter and would work better for fine hair.

Another good product list: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/product-list-by-category.html

If you have fine, low-porosity hair, you will want to find out whether your hair can tolerate protein. Low-porosity hair sometimes gets brittle, dry, and straighter with protein, although fine hair can sometimes still handle it. The best tolerated proteins seem to be silk and keratin.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 103 Curl Connoisseur
    Back away from the hair brush... slowly... that's it. Welcome to the world of curl discovery! If you're looking for some inexpensive products to get started, I love the Cantu brand. They have a little bit of everything, and they're super easy to find in stores. Good luck!
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    In agreement with @justkaty5, discard the hairbrush @bottledsunshine;)

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file