Hello!

sarajay13sarajay13 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Novice
I thought I would formally introduce myself! I'm SaraJane and I've been wearing my 3a/b curls naturally pretty much my whole life-- with a few bouts of using the flat iron on and off since college but I've given it up pretty much for good. It's a hassle and super damaging. I prefer my curls anyway!

As I mentioned in a different post I'm recovering from pretty extreme hair damage caused by an allergy to hair dye that I didn't know I had. (apparently this is pretty common for people to develop these after years of using hair dye too according to my stylist). Now that I've given up the chemical hair dye as well as damaging products, my curls are "reforming" slowly one day at a time. I'm hoping that the spots that got fried clean off my scalp will start growing back in soon with proper care. I'm kind of experimenting with different oils and products to give my hair the best care I can for some regrowth right now. I'm finding that the hardest thing about the CGM is giving up my shampoo-- I'm so used to that lather at least once a week! Replacing it with a strong tea tree conditioner has been helping though! I get that tingly "fresh clean" feeling instead. :D

But I think the biggest difference I'm seeing right now is because I switched up my stylist, the guy who used to do my hair is one of my BFFs and I adore him-- but he only cuts and styles straight hair. I got a "trim" in November and I almost cried leaving the salon-- I left with stick straight hair that was blunt cut with no layers what-so-ever, It was actually a very very cute cut.... for someone else, just not for me. It looked HORRIBLE with my natural curls. This week I got my first ever devacut and I'm SO happy with it. If anyone else on here is in Houston Texas, Macy at PlanetCurls is super sweet and very talented! She's seriously a wizard-- she managed to cut my hair so the thin spots are entirely hidden by thicker pieces so they can grow back in with minimal visibility. 

I'm so happy to have found this community-- my hair is so much better for it! <3
3a/b
High Porosity, Medium/Coarse, Medium/High Density
coming back from severe damage caused by hair dye allergy
pretty sure I just ruined my hair accidentally with spray foam in April 18  :'(
Modified CGM starting Feb 2018
-------------------------------------------
Cleanser: Kinky Curly Come Clean
Co-Wash: Deva Curl One Condition Decadence 
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Stylers: Kinky Curly Curl Custard
Refresh: Deva Curl Set It Free

Comments

• justkaty5justkaty5 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 103 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi @sarajay13! I feel ya on the no shampoo part of the CGM. Co-washing just isn't for me all the time, so I use a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo (sometimes called "low-poo"). I do co-wash sometimes when my hair is a little dirty but doesn't really need a full cleansing.
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome

I also low-poo.  My hair is very fine and I think it does better with a true cleanser, not a co-wash, I also missed the suds.   There are quite a few low poos at various price points, so you should be able to find one. 

You should also have a clarifying shampoo in your rotation to be used occasionally.  If you use a low poo regularly you will probably use the clarifying shampoo less often than if you only co-wash.

Good Luck on your journey, there are many here to support you.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • sarajay13sarajay13 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Novice
    @WavyKfromNJ @justkaty5 thanks for the info! I've been wanting to try the Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo for a while and I've heard it works like a clarifying shampoo, so I might eventually give that a try if my current regimen doesn't work out! Right now I'm only a few weeks into CGM so I'm definitely still experimenting :D So far for rinses/cleansers I've tried my current coconut oil shampoo, fermented rice water, and an ACV rinse. The rice water worked the best but I couldn't take the smell. I'll see how co-washing with my tea tree conditioner goes for another few weeks before I consider trying something else like a no/low poo. (I've heard results can take weeks/months to see) I've previously tried devacurl's no/low poos (and had a minor allergic reaction to the low poo) and I liked the results but not enough to stick with it. Thank you again, I'm so glad to be here learning and sharing! <3
    3a/b
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @sarajay13 !  So glad you've joined our little curly family!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @sarajay13

Welcome to nc.com. :) Congrats on embracing your natural hair texture! Your hair will thank you for it. Sounds like you are already headed in the right direction. Also, so glad to hear that henna is working out so well for you. :) Just a few thoughts:

1) The Palmers Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo listed in your signature has a clarifying ingredient in it - the Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. This shampoo is also sulfate free and silicone free, so if you like it, this makes a good clarifying shampoo. As a side note, it doesn't really look like it has conditioning agents, so I'm not sure they call it a conditioning shampoo. It does have some oil it it, maybe that's it.

2) The Palmer Protein Pack in your sig does contain silicones. Now, as long as you are using the Palmers Conditioning Shampoo, you are ok because the degreaser does remove silicones. But in the long run, generally using silicones works against curly hair. Maybe consider looking for alternatives after you run out?

3) I absolutely *love* henna for my hair, so I'm so glad it is working out for you! But do be careful as some people report than henna loosens their curl pattern. It definitely did for me after about a year of regular henna. However, at the time I was using straight lemon juice concentrate (!) for dye release, and I think that was a major factor. After that, I started using amla for the acid for dye release and also only dyeing the roots, and that has prevented this problem and also significantly improved the previously loosened curls pattern to almost normal. 

4) Along those lines, after I used henna for a while, my hair became protein sensitive. Certainly, I was started out with normal/low porosity hair - I started using henna to cover gray. And I know you are starting out with high porosity damaged hair, but be mindful of your hair as it changes and improves it's texture (and as the damage hair grows out and gets cut off). 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    @bomega omg! thank you so so so much for this info! I will def try the Palmer's shampoo as a clarifier now! That's good news. And I've already run out of the protein pack-- and knowing this I'll probably choose something different for a deep conditioner next time. (if anyone has suggestions lmk!) I noticed that while it felt like it made my hair stronger/less broken feeling-- it was flat/less curly and didn't clump as well/got frizzy.

I have noticed that my hair is looser after the henna! I was even a little worried about this just last night! ("omg why does my hair look wavy! it's never been wavy before!!") But ngl it's kind of fun because I've never had a loose "beach wavy" 2c/3a curl pattern till now-- might as well make the best of it and have fun! But I do eventually want my tighter 3b curls back. So I'm super relieved to hear that your curl pattern returned (I'm already looking forward to this stage haha) But my healthier feeling hair via henna was a pretty easy trade off, before the henna my hair was too bleach fried to curl at all. :s  I love love love Amla!! So I'll definitely be switching to that as a dye release. I really like the color I have on my ends right now, so only doing touch ups on my roots if/as needed is my plan! 

I was thinking that I should look up/read up on some info about protein and how hair reacts when its protein sensitive. My hair has previously acted strange after protein treatments when it isn't overly porous and damaged. So it's for sure something I need to lookout for as my hair gets healthier. Thank you again for all of this info!! <3
    3a/b
    edited March 2018
    Ugh...One more thing - that Palmer's serum oil is loaded up with silicone. I would steer clear of that one if you can. It's weird how so many curly hair "serums" are really just made up of silicones. This one is a little better at least in that it actually has oil in it. 

Amla is so great. I use the usual 25g Amla/100g Henna in my mix. Also, I've noticed that even though I only apply to the roots, the rest of my hair gets a sort of gloss effect, so I still enjoy the benefits of henna treatment without having to cover all my hair. 

Here is a great article about protein: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html

And she has a couple of protein treatments:
    IAGirl's Gelatin Protein Treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
    Vegetarian-Friendly Protein Treatment (for the over 21 ;)): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

bomega said:
    Ugh...One more thing - that Palmer's serum oil is loaded up with silicone. I would steer clear of that one if you can. It's weird how so many curly hair "serums" are really just made up of silicones. This one is a little better at least in that it actually has oil in it. 
    OMG!  :o Nooooo. This is so sad... but I'm definitely going to stop using this ASAP. I don't have it in my hair today, but I feel terrible... it came so highly recommended!  :s But it won't be difficult at all to not use it-- I have plenty of other products that are working for me, so I'll just stick to using the sm argan oil for smoothing. Now I'm suspicious of all the Palmer's products-- they don't list their ingredients on their site. Hmm... 

bomega said:
    Amla is so great. I use the usual 25g Amla/100g Henna in my mix. Also, I've noticed that even though I only apply to the roots, the rest of my hair gets a sort of gloss effect, so I still enjoy the benefits of henna treatment without having to cover all my hair. 
    Very nice! I'm super excited to hear this! "Gloss Effect" sounds downright exciting and is making me eager for the next time I need to henna! :D I swear I noticed that my skin looks clear and fresh/bright and my scalp feels WAY healthier after using Amla and Henna? Have you noticed anything like this? Maybe it just seems this way because my hair isn't a fried mess! 
    3a/b
    @bomega and thank you for the links! I'm definitely going to check those out ASAP! <3
    3a/b
    Palmer's isn't the only company that doesn't list ingredients on their website. It is really annoying. But luckily a lot of online retailers do list ingredients - iherb.com, ulta.com, walmart.com. Amazon sometimes lists. Makeupalley.com has a lot too. I usually google the product name + "ingredients" and the websites that list are usually the first few returns. That's how I found the ones for your products (I'm always interested in new products, so I googled yours :)).

I haven't noticed any change in my scalp from henna and/or amla, but I don't particularly have scalp issues...

bomega said:
     I usually google the product name + "ingredients" and the websites that list are usually the first few returns. 
     Funny! I was just doing this for the rest of my products! I found several on amazon with a full list-- super convenient! I noticed Cantu doesn't list their ingredients either but I found the full list on Amazon. I also found another site: EWG Cosmetic Database I'm not sure how good it is, I've only looked up two products so far-- but it looks like it has a thorough list of ingredients for products the have info on. 

My only skin/scalp issue is from my chemical/dye allergies-- I'm also super sensitive to hair bleach. Being anywhere near it leaves me irritated, red and blotchy and very swollen and blistered if it touches my skin. So I'm not sure what I'm using (or rather not using anymore) that's helped my hair/scalp dryness and left over redness/irritation on my face and neck from stripping the pre-henna manic panic out-- but something is! Whatever it may be, I'll take it! 
    3a/b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file