Confused? Whats my hair type? How to take care of it?

ObaidyObaidy Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited March 13 in Hair Type 3
Cutting this short. What's my hair type? Density and all? 
Being Arab and all of my family have really loose wavy hair and me being the only one with curls made this almost impossible to take care off. 
The front of my head is really tight curls. At the top of my head is kinda loose curls, so my hair is a mix of curl types I guess.
How can I keep my hair growing downwards instead of outwards?

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 732 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome!  Your hair looks like a 3C to me, but I'm not very good at curl typing.  It doesn't really matter anyway.  Most of us have a mix of curl patterns on our head, and the curls can change from season to season, or even day to day.  What's more important is porosity, strand thickness (fine or coarse hair), and density.

The best thing you can do is moisturize.  Use gentle shampoos, or no shampoo at all. Use a good conditioner, use leave in conditioner. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, low porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Noughty Wave Hello Shampoo
    Deva One Condition original formula
    Dippity Do Girls with Curls Gelee (the more I use this, the more I love it!)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,124 Administrator
    edited March 22 Accepted Answer
    Welcome, @Obaidy!  So glad you've joined us. 
    I agree... I think you're probably a 3C. Have you taken the Texture Quiz
    Why do you want it to grow down sted out? Here in the U.S., anyway, big hair is beautiful hair! :) 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Answers

• ObaidyObaidy Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for taking time to answer me.
    I guess all my life my hair has never gone past my shoulders and trying never hurts I guess lol.
    I think my hair texture is:
    Porosity --> High.
    Density --> Low to medium.
    Thickness --> Fine.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Obaidy said:
    Thanks for taking time to answer me.
    I guess all my life my hair has never gone past my shoulders and trying never hurts I guess lol.
    I think my hair texture is:
    Porosity --> High.
    Density --> Low to medium.
    Thickness --> Fine.
    Pull a curl all the way straight and see how long it is. I guarantee your hair is past your shoulders. Curly hair always looks shorter due to "shrinkage", i.e., the loss of length you get from the shape of the curl itself. The tighter the curl, the more shrinkage you have. My hair looks shoulder length, but pulled straight it's about halfway between my shoulders and my waist.

Honestly, your curls are very beautiful to me, but I know in many places people don't see the beauty of curls yet. 

Note: "shrinkage" has another meaning in the US (and maybe other places) that has to do with male parts.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,046Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that keeping your hair moisturized is the best thing you can do. Moisturized hair has less frizz, so it will have less volume.

You may wish to try an oil treatment on dry hair. You can use coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil, avocado oil...pretty much any oil. Just put a little bit on your dry hair and allow it to sink in overnight. I would start with just a few drops. Then wash it out the next day with your regular shampooing. Doing this type of oil treatment will add elasticity to the hair and make it softer, which might help it appear to grow "down" instead of "out".
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 16
    Hi @Obaidy

Welcome to nc.com. I think your curls look fantastic! I agree that the best thing you can do to care for your hair is to keep it moisturized. If you have fine low/medium density hair, using products that moisturize will probably also add weight with might lengthen your curl pattern, and also make the curls settle downward, and it sounds like that is something you want too. But most of all it will keep your hair and curls healthy, and that is a look that is always in fashion. :)

High porosity hair often benefits from protein in products, so you might want to experiment with this. Fine, high porosity hair can take more protein than coarse hair, but you still don't want to overdo it. Here is a good article that can explain more: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html.

Also, even though you are a guy, you might want to check out this lady's videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWstNM7snYq_zHmy4YkwKoQ/videos. She has two videos about protein, and she has fine high porosity hair, so you might get some good ideas there. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 351Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh I love your hair! I would love to wear it for a day just to see how it would feel. I have a much looser texture and bouncy does not happen evetyday. Enjoy!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • SheankaMarieSheankaMarie Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair definitely looks like a 3B. 3C hair is more of curly/coily... Your hair def looks 3B curly, with maybe some 3A sprinkled in. As the hair gets heavy, it will start to fall. It just needs to grow a little more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file