Starting the curly girl method...

Erika._.RogersErika._.Rogers Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
so I have type 2c hair from what it currently looks like but for 12 years, practically my whole life, I have been brushing my hair straight into a frizz ball so it didn’t look curly. So right now my hair has lost a heap of curl pattern and I’m looking to restore that. What am I to expect if I start the curly methods right now. Time for curls to heal? Greasy scalp?

To give you a current status, my hair has waves with some ringlets and I wash my hair twice a week with silicones and sulphates. So I just did my last sulphate wash yesterday to get rid of silicones. My hair was super frizzy but I’m excited for tomorrow when I start this method.

Also, has anyone ever done what I have before?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Erika._.Rogers

Welcome to nc.com. Good for your for embracing your natural hair texture. It sounds like you haven't done any chemical treatments to your hair? If that is the case, pretty much, if you stop brushing your hair and start using CG-Friendly products, your hair will probably start clumping stop frizzing very quickly. When I was in high school, giving up the comb was the single best thing I did for my hair. Oddly, I was still using sulfates, but no silicones, and I had great hair. 

Learn what you can about the Curly Girl Method. You can look into the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. One of the cofounders of nc.com came out with a book called Curl Revolution that has the best of the best from nc.com. You could also just read around nc.com - the newbie section of Curltalk is great. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Erika._.RogersErika._.Rogers Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for that!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,559Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome @Erika._.Rogers to CurlTalk!  We're glad you've joined us. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 850Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Most of us have been in your shoes.

What you can expect really depends on your hair.  If you are prone to an oily scalp you will probably get an oily scalp.  If you are prone to dryness probably not.

Right now you need to pay attention to see how you hair reacts to different products (and the weather).  You may want to start a journal.

Remember it is not just products, but technique matters too, and that includes how much product you use.  

Everyone's hair is different and unfortunately it is not as simple as picking out a few products that will work for most people.  

Good Luck in your journey.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I tried the CG method and loved it my curls were so smooth and silky. I stopped...but I still do the CG every now and then just to take a break from silicones. Hope you love the CG method good luck. 
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 111Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Good luck!  I am just embarking on a CG journey too.  No tips as it's new for me also but looking forward to hearing about your progress!
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file