Delayed heat damage...?

curlysue19curlysue19 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi guys! I've noticed that towards the front of my hair whenever I undo my twist out, the ends are straighter than the rest of my hair. I only straighten my hair once per year and my hair can usually handle high temperatures rather well. This January, I got my hair blowed out with a mini trim and the stylist went over my front section multiple times because it wasn't getting as straight. She used heat protectant and even reapplied some more. When I reverted my hair a week later, all the curls came back as normal. Also, my front section of curls tend to be a lot looser than the middle and back of my head. That's always been the case as far I can remember. It's only months later that I realize a difference in my twist-outs. The front section ends (especially on my right side) seem straight while the rest of my hair is normal. However, when I go wash my hair in the shower, my ends curl up as normal. Also, when I spritz water on that section of the twist out to get rid of the straightness, the ends curl up. 

Is this some sort of delayed heat damage? And if it's not heat damage, what is it then?

Answers

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's not heat damage. If your hair is curling up normally in the shower, it's a moisturization or styling issue, not a damage issue. High enough heat basically melts the outer layers of your hair. There's no delay in seeing the damage and simply applying water won't reverse it. Is it possible you aren't getting your styler evenly throughout your hair? Or maybe by the time you get to the end of putting in the twists, those sections are a lot dryer than at the start? Or you're getting tired and the last twists aren't as tight/carefully done?

It is normal for some sections of your hair to be looser than others. My hair is looser in the back around the crown of my head and tighter at the nape of my neck and along the top front hairline (the area that would be bangs if I had bangs). There's nothing to "do" about it, it's just the way our hair is. The Devacut is designed to balance all this out. 
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    It's not unusual for hair to be drier at the ends and need a little more moisture there. Does your hair tolerate protein? If yes, I would try a protein treatment. If not, I would try using extra conditioner on the ends or maybe even leaving in a little conditioner on the ends (i.e., not rinsing it all out).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file